Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 26

Author Topic: Steam Empire, an Arms Race: Year -1, Internal Affairs Phase  (Read 19603 times)

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile

Rumors of discontent and division forming within the Empire are unsubstantiated and completely false. These rumors, if they were to even exist, likely come from the neighboring (to an Imperial colony) state hellbent on conquering and oppressing our people. Reports from the front lines that the Empire are the aggressors in this "colonialist" "war" of "aggression" are also false.

That being said, the Emperor himself has deemed it necessary to end this war promptly and quickly and has called upon his trusted Imperial Bureau of Design and Engineering, you, to begin reforming the technology employed by the army overseas and give our men the edge needed to end the fighting and bring them home. For purely benevolent reasons and not at all due to needing the forces to ensure domestic stability. Certainly. The Emperor wouldn't have denied that was the case if it was the case. The Emperor does not lie, after all.

And with this, your job begins. You are all part of a single team -- the Empire's Imperial Bureau of Design and Engineering. There are no factions. There will be no factions. There will not be a collapse of the Empire in 3 turns, forcing everyone within this one team to choose a side. Since again, if that were the case why would you be thinking that it doesn't happen?

Steam Empire is, and you may have guessed this via excellent inference from the title, an Arms Race. Anyone familiar to the genre should know roughly what to expect, and anyone new to it should know that they can hop in whenever. You don't need to study all the following rules to know how to play; they're more for reference purpose.

In short, you design equipment for your side and get to see how that equipment helps your soldiers fight the enemy. The game is divided into turns of set time intervals, each turn divided into phases. An explanation of phases for those unfamiliar with the Arms Race genre follows:
Design Phase: design new equipment for your military to use; anyone in the team can submit a design proposal and the team votes on one (or more, in special circumstances) proposal for their team to work on that round. In the following Design Results, based on a dice roll & difficulty of the design based on your technology level/experience, you get to see what your engineers came up with based on the proposal. Revision Phase: works similar to the design phase, but on a much smaller scale -- use revisions to change things about existing designs or make new designs/variants with a few changes/whatnot. Battle Phase: Decide how to deploy your designs; with your current resources as the budget, outfit your platoons with your designs and send them out to fight. Then after this, you'll receive the Battle Report detailing fighting with the other side and how your designs/deployments fared. The Internal Affairs Phase can exist though won't always appear, and simply exposits ongoing affairs and events within your side or anything else that may be relevant. Plot/lore/fluff stuff. If there's any player interaction in one of these phases, then it'll be detailed at the time.
The Battle Report is always posted in the core thread (this thread), and is universal to both sides. The rest of the phases/reports start/end at the same time but each side gets their own post about it in their own thread. That is, if there were separate teams with their own threads. There is only the Empire. There will not be a split and there will not be two threads created for the two fighting sides. Because that would never happen.

The setting is (slight fantasy) steampunk. With some softer sci-fi behind it (in other words, I won't tell you that your cool steam annihilator mech immediately trips and falls because mechs are a silly idea in reality). If you have any questions on a more specific part of what kind of technology is possible, please go ahead and ask me.

Spoiler: Theatres & Platoons (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Logistics (click to show/hide)

For those wanting to look up old updates, just search the term "TURNTURNTURN" within the thread. Every update has that phrase in invisible text to make them easy to search. And for the love of god, do not use this phrase in your own posts. This is not my invention; I stole the idea from someone else.

There is of course only one side. The Empire. There will not be two differing sides. There will not be a map representing the Empire's broken territories, because the Empire is not and will never be broken. There will be no theatres, because as the Empire remains intact (and always will) that will never be your job. You will never have to pick a side within a collapsing empire.
Never.
The Empire remains eternal.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2021, 10:33:39 am by Chiefwaffles »
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Steam Empire, an Arms Race: Year -3, Design Phase
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2020, 04:37:09 am »

(Note: there are no designs but that does not mean you can start with literally anything. The Empire is, as you may expect, steampunk. Kind of. The military uses largely early-Napoleonic era technology. Industry is increasingly mechanized. Trains are quickly becoming commonplace with rail infrastructure already ready across the Empire's territories. The Steam Core is a very novel technology. Do not be afraid to ask me if you have any other questions regarding starting points, or if a theoretical design is feasible.)

Game Update: Design Phase, Year -3 TURNTURNTURN
Pay no attention to the negative year. This is not in any form counting down to anything, such as the impossible collapse of the Empire which by definition does not collapse.

Of course the Imperial military has equipment already, but that's not your job. Those above you have deemed it fit to provide a blank slate. You will be provided with expertise and knowledge of relevant technology as needed for your new designs, but no more than that.
The military requests an infantry weapon and a logistics transport -- such as a train. These are just requests. It may be advisable to listen to them, but you are free to design whatever you feel is most needed.

Spoiler: Designs (click to show/hide)
It is now the Design Phase of Year -3. Vote for a design proposal to use for this phase's design.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 09:38:24 pm by Chiefwaffles »
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2020, 04:41:35 am »

ptw
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2020, 05:21:37 am »

The military uses largely early-Napoleonic era technology. Industry is increasingly mechanized. Trains are quickly becoming commonplace with rail infrastructure already ready across the Empire's territories.
What would the difficulty be of something like the Dreyse Needle Gun? Like, would it be advanced, experimental technology, or would it be relatively straightforward? What about the Chassepot rifle?
Long Live United Forenia!

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2020, 07:33:44 am »

I vote airship powered via steam. Cause the last Steampunk Ice age collapsed.

Also, Chief, has MoP infected you?

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2020, 07:39:45 am »

So, the empire is probably using something like the Model 1777 or Charlesville muskets at the moment. But as we're have access to trains, then we should be able to produce an American civil war rifled-musket like the Springfield fairly reliably. I suspect a needle gun would be pushing it though.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2020, 08:28:34 am »

What would the difficulty be of something like the Dreyse Needle Gun? Like, would it be advanced, experimental technology, or would it be relatively straightforward? What about the Chassepot rifle?
Needle Gun would be... within the realm of feasibility. Chassepot less-so but not necessarily impossible.

Also, Chief, has MoP infected you?
I have absolutely no idea what this means

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2020, 08:34:24 am »

I'll second Tric's idea of a steam-powered airship, that sounds like a pretty inventive idea, and it wouldn't require too much infrastructure to use.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

ConscriptFive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2020, 09:00:36 am »

Design: "Falcons's Nest" Command Dirigible

Why lead from the front when you can lead from above?

The "Falcon's Nest" Command Dirigible is a flying headquarters, enabling senior leadership to maintain a birds-eye view of the battlefield.  Fog of war no more, our generals can use state-of-the-art optics to personally observe fires and maneuver from a sky-borne war room.  Safe above the fray, general signal/communication is executed by signal (flare) rockets, or a loud and distinct steam whistle.  More detailed communiques can be transmitted via an aerie of highly trained messenger falcons.  (Falcons were chosen over mere pigeons due to their speed, grace, and nobility.)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2020, 09:12:25 am by ConscriptFive »

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2020, 09:43:14 am »

Devastator City Defense System

A gigantic rotary cannon powered by a steam core, the devastator can elevate and rotate to target multiple aspects of an attacking force. Can be driven by a heavy cart, also powered by the steam core. Each cannon barrel is breech-loaded.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2020, 09:49:29 am »

Design: 'Starlight' Aerial Transport
Built to be able to supply units in almost any terrain and regardless of infrastructure, the Starlight is first and foremost a transport and supply airship, with an armoured envelope enough to stop minor nicks and possibly small arms fire but not much more than that. Able to carry somewhat fast loads and not reliant on anything more than a large enough space to land and load/unload supplies.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2020, 03:17:13 pm »

I will join the Empire! 

You know what we should do? We should list our least-favorite things! I'll go first:

My least favorite thing is traitors! People who would turn against the empire and try to tear it down (laughable!).  Anyone who even thinks about committing treason should be chained over steam exhaust port and burned alive!

What about you guys, my fellow Empire Lovers? What do you hate the most, why is it traitors, and what would you do to any traitors you encounter?

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2020, 03:30:25 pm »

I will join the Empire! 

You know what we should do? We should list our least-favorite things! I'll go first:

My least favorite thing is traitors! People who would turn against the empire and try to tear it down (laughable!).  Anyone who even thinks about committing treason should be chained over steam exhaust port and burned alive!

What about you guys, my fellow Empire Lovers? What do you hate the most, why is it traitors, and what would you do to any traitors you encounter?
Now, see, I don't want to cause internal strife, but it's people like you who are causing trouble in the Empire. Chaining people over exhaust ports? Come on, man. The proper treatment for traitors is to attach them to an Imperial clock-tower's hands, such that they are slowly torn apart as the minute hand outpaces the hour hand.
Seriously, I can't believe they let your kind in the design bureau.
Long Live United Forenia!

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2020, 03:36:46 pm »

What is all of this talk about tra% approval rating, their are no traitors in the Empire. Other than those who think causing strife to be a fun pastime. Those can go in the Boiler to be steamed alive.

'Starlight' Aerial Transport: (1) TricMagic

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2020, 03:38:57 pm »

I will note that no one has suggested an infantry weapon yet, and because the empire will never fall, I think it'd be pretty safe to design everything using steam cores, cos we can always just make more if need be. Thus I offer you the following:

Quote from: Bombardino Steam Rifle
The majority of this continent uses primitive gunpowder firearms, notorious for belching obscuring smoke, poor accuracy and lethality beyond 100 yards, embarrassingly low rate of fire, and distracting muzzle report. However the [Steam Empire] has a better way, one given to us by the technological wonder that is the Steam Core.

The Bombardino Steam Rifle is of similar shape to a standard rifle, although the stock is actually a removable reservoir, holding the high-pressure steam that propels 1oz lead balls at over 500 feet per second. To ensure an ample supply of propellant, each equipped platoon will also be assigned a Steam Pump, utilising a Steam Core to quickly fill reservoirs with compressed steam. Additionally, the lead balls will be stored in a spring-loaded ammunition tube within the weapon, allowing a soldier to action the attached bolt to move the next round into position for firing. Finally, a bayonet lug is mounted below the barrel, for when our soldiers must take the fight directly to the enemy.

We will thus have an infantry weapon capable of shooting 20 rounds a minute, effective to over 200 yards, whilst near-silent, and emitting nothing more than lead death and a small puff of steam that will only fit with the character of our Empire.

If we can't use glorious steam because some Madman claims it isn't possible, then we can just compress regular old air instead. I guess. If you want a way less cool weapon.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 02:17:13 am by Kashyyk »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 26