Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: entities with underwater sites?  (Read 783 times)

Defensive kobra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
entities with underwater sites?
« on: June 07, 2020, 09:58:24 am »

if i write [SETTLEMENT_BIOME:ANY_OCEAN] in the entity definition, will civilisations during world gen try to place sites in the ocean, will they successfully do so, and if so what do they look like if visited in adventure mode? will the water surface or the bottom of the ocean be used to determine where to place the buildings?

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
Re: entities with underwater sites?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2020, 10:47:22 am »

I don't think "in-the-ocean" sites are a thing (yet). Humans can settle oceans ([BIOME_SUPPORT:ANY_OCEAN:12]), but this just lets them build towns/hamlets around the sea coast - not in the sea itself.

It's similar to mountains: entities that can settle mountains, but don't have the CAVE_DETAILED site type, will build settlements along the edges of mountains, not in the interior.

And I think, if an entity only has [START_BIOME:ANY_OCEAN], they simply won't generate at all. Same with ANY_RIVER or (I'd expect) ANY_LAKE, ANY_POOL.
Thob Goes to the Surface (Adventure Mode story, in progress)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2020, 09:42:31 pm »

Sites can be generated during worldgen in the ocean (and in the middle of lakes). I forget how exactly, probably exactly as mentioned with biome_support. I was hoping to create a coastal dwelling civ, but besides the initial site (which is often a beautifully realized coastal town) they often spread out and "build" in the water.

When you embark as an adventurer at one of these sites you'll find yourself alone and drowning.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 09:53:01 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Defensive kobra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2020, 08:53:34 am »

Sites can be generated during worldgen in the ocean (and in the middle of lakes). I forget how exactly, probably exactly as mentioned with biome_support. I was hoping to create a coastal dwelling civ, but besides the initial site (which is often a beautifully realized coastal town) they often spread out and "build" in the water.

When you embark as an adventurer at one of these sites you'll find yourself alone and drowning.
what would be your guess as to what is happening? you recon the buildings are made on the surface and then immedeatly sink or do they just not generate at all? id you try doing this with an cilivisation whose citizens can be underwater without death?

and about what the above person said, do ether of you think it is possible to make an civ that grows exclusively by the coast, who never attempts to setter further inland? obiously setting the ocean as an settlement biome will just kinda be suicide, and i need to tell the civ to settle somewhere so that i dont just have an useless civilisation of 100% homeless people, and motivating them to spread near oceans over most other biomes will likely be an major risk in that it discurages them from spreading where they are supposed to spread, but i donno can it be done? of course using EXCLUSIVE_START_BIOME to make shure they come form the ocean but dont build anything there

Fatace

• Bay Watcher
  • Cease hostilities? Never!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2020, 02:14:03 pm »

Ive messed with this in my mod in hopes for coast related civs but I got the same result.

in adventure mode, spawning in any of those water sites, everything is just water, no buildings, nor anyone. Used DFHack to look around and found nothing, and this was a civ I was hopping it would even work with since they could breathe underwater.
but sadly nope.

Hilarious side-note tho, if you have a coast site along the coast and they get raided with people fleeing, those who flee can make tents in the ocean (and eventually drown lol)
I once had a 30 dwarf glacier fortress once.. was going great till the dwarf merchants brought along a WereKoala and killed everyone...

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2020, 04:17:15 pm »

When I tried this years ago it generated sites in the open ocean in worldgen, they had pops and stuff, but the sites not actually there if you visit in adventure mode. It also used to crash the game or spawn you in the caverns under the ocean if you tried to start an adventure in one.

If you instead make them spawn in saltwater wetlands and give them lots of permitted biomes but a heavy preference for oceans, they should then build along coastlines. They can't build underwater though.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2020, 05:13:30 pm »

Mulling this issue over, considering some of the "obvious but restrictive" hardcoded assumptions that might be designed in to inadvertently prevent this sort of thing (e.g., broadly never placing anything of this sort beneath the designated sea-level, rather than specifically checking for liquid-layers once the site is developed upon embark/visiting - the the latter may apply for lacustrine emplacements, naturally) I realised there also weren't any - so far as I know - sub-sealevel 'depressions' in worldgen.

Would have to be tied to (possibly) scorching temperatures and landlockedness (which I'm not sure is something that properly survives world formation - must check) and would thus be differently inhospitable to most standard civs. But could be interesting. Even more 'interesting' if some post-gen phenomenum (player?) breached the landlockedness (thinking of a Salton Sea sort of episode).

...and would be a 'cheap' way to generate underwater civilisations (modded to build in extreme heat, but be amphibious). If any of this were possible and the intermediate FPS hit weren't an issue.

Don't mind me, just musing.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2020, 07:41:58 pm »

what would be your guess as to what is happening? you recon the buildings are made on the surface and then immedeatly sink or do they just not generate at all? id you try doing this with an cilivisation whose citizens can be underwater without death?

and about what the above person said, do ether of you think it is possible to make an civ that grows exclusively by the coast, who never attempts to setter further inland? obiously setting the ocean as an settlement biome will just kinda be suicide, and i need to tell the civ to settle somewhere so that i dont just have an useless civilisation of 100% homeless people, and motivating them to spread near oceans over most other biomes will likely be an major risk in that it discurages them from spreading where they are supposed to spread, but i donno can it be done? of course using EXCLUSIVE_START_BIOME to make shure they come form the ocean but dont build anything there
Late reply I guess others have chimed in, but the main race of the civ in question were all amphibious, worldgen gave them pops, pets, history, but embarking just plopped you in the empty ocean, no buildings, no amphibious neighbours hanging out. Just something which doesn't work yet.