Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 49

Author Topic: SHADOW EMPIRE: Procedural Sci-fi 4x wargame - Kaiju Warning  (Read 82817 times)

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SHADOW EMPIRE: Sci-fi 4x wargame: Mind the Donkeys - Steam Release!
« Reply #450 on: January 01, 2021, 10:14:42 am »

Ah, that. I usually only do variations until I get 100-ish. I so rarely see higher structural that it seems like it'd be idle hope to aim for higher. I know that the range is 70-130, but it feels like it's a normally distributed curve rather than a uniformly distributed curve. As you said, I only have one over 115, and I have at least one model line of most possible model types. You're right that I didn't re-design my workhorse models for structural designs in the tail of the distribution, and that may be an optimization flaw. I may try that over the next few turns, though it seems like it'd be hard-pressed to catch up to my main model's base design in a reasonable amount of time. I may be falling victim to sunk costs, though.  :P

[Edit: I'd guess the distribution is 10d6; if so, you're looking at ~4% to be >= 115. 6d10 OTOH would be ~5%. Neither of these are promising targets;  at 1 new model per 2 turns, I'd need to spend an average of 32 turns (or 25 for 6d10) before I got one in the range you're hoping for. That's really not very enticing...]
« Last Edit: January 01, 2021, 10:29:54 am by E. Albright »

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: January 01, 2021, 10:37:14 am »

[Edit: I'd guess the distribution is 10d6; if so, you're looking at ~4% to be >= 115. 6d10 OTOH would be ~5%. Neither of these are promising targets;  at 1 new model per 2 turns, I'd need to spend an average of 32 turns (or 25 for 6d10) before I got one in the range you're hoping for. That's really not very enticing...]

Gotta wonder how the Director's technician roll can affect that.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: January 01, 2021, 11:00:49 am »

Interesting question. The design log says nothing about that, nor does the manual; I assumed it affects design speed rather than quality. I really don't see many >=115 SDes, but I see fewer <=85, so it may indeed be an issue. Then again, it may not.

Mkok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: January 01, 2021, 07:38:52 pm »

So my progress so far: turn 58, just found my first metal deposit, constructed industry II, conquered the hunter tribe to the east making my empire 4 cities large, secured the ruined megacity to the northwest, finally weeded out hostile fauna from southern mountain passage, had private sector build a road accross the mountain range and developed combat armor. Oh, and some major to the east I dont even share borders with declared war on me :D Now Im in process of weeding the eastern plain from all the natives to connect my 4th city with the rest of my empire  8)

One thing I noticed is that if you look at details of airplane designs it says structural design is 70-130 + aircraft design optimization/2, so if this is true it could theoretically reach 180 for airplanes I guess  ;D But land units do not seem to have this plus part...

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: January 01, 2021, 09:19:17 pm »

...I added a 3rd infantry design to see if I could get better than the 101 SDes I had, and I immediately remembered why I just get ~100 and stop: making a 4th design to try to do better than the 3rd (102 SDes) I rolled would take... 1200 BP. The additional cost per new design grows too quickly, so unless you're savescumming there's no reasonable way to assure yourself a high Structural Design.

(At this point it would need to be extraordinarily good to be worth it anyway, as my workhorse infantry model has been refined up to 156 Base Design. The new design is 96. It has ~5/6ths the HP and 3/4s the attack/def values, and would take A LOT of fieldtesting followed by re-designs to make up the difference.)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: January 02, 2021, 08:28:54 am »

Isn't there a way to obsolete designs, so that you're always on your second design by obsoleting the bad ones?

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: January 02, 2021, 03:24:10 pm »

No, the design never goes away. Obsoleting it just makes all examples of it get recalled to SHQ and lets you filter it out in the design screen. You can still "upgrade" units to it and/or change it back to non-obsolete to re-introduce it.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: January 04, 2021, 10:53:17 am »

The Majors aren't the real enemies.  Its the Slavers, Spiders, Walker AI faction, and wildlife that are the true obstacles to your dominion of the planet.  You get hit with all that by turn 5, you'll be in a real fight.  It's doable, but it might be the sort of map that you may need to play a second/third/fourth time to win.

It's also the sort of map you should keep your starting save and tell everyone about.

As per your request: https://gofile.io/d/LLmrhG

(I'm waiting on a bug resolution on my long-slog game, so I started this ammonia-carbon-based world in the mean time. Alas, I didn't have the patience to hold out for the cherry-blossom ammonia-carbon color palate, and settled for the earth-tone ammonia-carbon color palate, so it's not as pretty as some of the biospheres I saw during generation.

You should get some hawt minor regime action in a hurry here. I don't know how bad the 15m squid analogs are, as they *might* be limited to the polar regions, but in any case they aren't in the starting neighborhood.)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: January 06, 2021, 04:44:20 pm »

So, I just discovered a Hidden Village of 700 people.  In exchange for leaving them alone, they will give me 200 colonists per turn!

They must have a cloning machine.  Obviously, I left them alone as apparently only they know how to work the bloody thing... :-X

EDIT: For those who haven't ever touched the colonist tab, you CAN demobilize the colonists back into your regular population.  So its not like I'm even getting different types of people or anything.  Although if it was soldiers, I'd probably still take the deal (and I did chose to keep the Battle Dojo, because 200 regular soldiers per turn is worth more than making my militia slightly less inept).

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #459 on: January 06, 2021, 05:45:36 pm »

I'm imagining trucks full of identical Bobs rolling in every few weeks and your own people trying to figure out what to do with 200 Bobs every delivery. An entire Bob placement industry would form around this, with Bob insurance and Bob placement contracts. Bob training programs with people who have studied and worked with Bobs all of their professional career. Eventually you'd get former Bobs, called Roberts, who take over. At some point your colony genetic makeup is 78% Bob and your leader, Bob, declares a national emergency looking desperately for new genetic material. A BobWatch app becomes the most downloaded phone app, showing you the level of Bob-ness of a potential mate so you can avoid too much inbreeding.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: February 20, 2021, 12:18:06 am »

Eww. I'm... really not looking forward to fighting these, but the zone border is 7 hexes from my capital. Eww. At least this is a tech 4 start and not a tech 3 one...

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: February 20, 2021, 01:06:19 am »

Everyone gangsta until the worm pope calls a crusade on your faction.
"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage

The Imperial Question | Stranded Among Stars

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: February 20, 2021, 01:13:26 am »

Fortunately, so far only the worm pope is doing that. We've managed to contain the reptiloid overlords of the above-pictured worms at 5 hexes from our border while our xeno-linguists try to move beyond gestures for communication. Still, the worm pope's unaligned and undomesticated forces (same stats, but come in stacks ~5x as big) are *also* 5 hexes from our capital. And this isn't even getting into the metallic energized cats marauding on our *other* boarders. New patch, new challenges...

Mkok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: February 20, 2021, 10:40:44 am »

Nothing few bombers cannot manage  :D And if they fail to communicate just tell them to release the bombs and get back for another round  ;D 

Just be glad they are not entangler III  8)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2021, 10:43:15 am by Mkok »

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: February 20, 2021, 11:44:36 am »

Hey did they happen to add the ability to destroy roads and rails by any chance???
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 49