Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 49

Author Topic: SHADOW EMPIRE: Procedural Sci-fi 4x wargame - Kaiju Warning  (Read 82841 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: SHADOW EMPIRE: Sci-fi 4x wargame: Mind the Donkeys - Steam Release!
« Reply #405 on: December 17, 2020, 12:04:34 pm »

So, my map spawned with Trampler Sheep.

17 meters long (or is it tall), metallic skin, shoot laser beams, aggressive to humans, and 30% of not dying to otherwise lethal damage.

I'm calling them Sheep Tanks.  The only thing they're missing is turrets.

Oh, and there are 1900 of them.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: December 17, 2020, 12:19:03 pm »

Is there a way to harness the local fauna, or are they entirely there as a nuisance / hinderance to your operations?
Do they at least harass the AI players as well?

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: December 17, 2020, 12:44:08 pm »

My understanding is they're hostile to everyone who's not Freman Freefolk, but they're just a nuisance in my experience. I'd really like to see cavalry like some of the Freefolk have, to be accompanied by some non-WWII-style OOBs. I'd really like to have Cavalry Brigades, Dragoon Brigades, Motorized Dragoon Brigades (i.e., bike), etc. And if there are 30m squids oozing around, I'd love to slap polymer barding on those monsters...

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: December 17, 2020, 02:00:46 pm »

is there a way to do multi turn orders?

a way to regroup all brigate units in a single hex?

I'm only having 2 brigates and some militia and already getting mad tracking them, I settled of moving them around with the group order in a stack, but after encircling the local fauna I've to regroup them and move them back to the capital and it's being annoying af

also, I see I've one zone which food production jumps up and down, where can I go check where resources are expended?

like the zone ux is actively mocking me

"Assets that consumed:"
https://i.imgur.com/xgqoPmi.png
« Last Edit: December 17, 2020, 03:36:51 pm by LoSboccacc »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: December 17, 2020, 05:41:18 pm »

Is there a way to harness the local fauna, or are they entirely there as a nuisance / hinderance to your operations?

The only way to harness them, from what I understand, is that if a minor power uses them in their militia, and you take over said minor power, then you inherit militia that will use the local fauna.

The big problem there being that they're militia, so they're diluted versus if they were regular forces.

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: December 17, 2020, 09:06:44 pm »

Zone supply can be a bit confusing. The biggest thing to remember is that militia produce their own supply from the zone, which can be confusing when militia start going away, (since they'll produce food and ammo which amounts to the upkeep of their units but then has to be distributed through your supply network so it shows up as zone production), and the fact that farming is actually seasonal, depending on the weather and climate, unless it's domed.

You also get industry from service tax and it's probably the foremost reason to expand early on (conquering zones and minors), unless you have a resource bottleneck, since building factories is insanely expensive.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2020, 09:08:58 pm by Vivalas »
"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage

The Imperial Question | Stranded Among Stars

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: December 17, 2020, 10:01:30 pm »

I've found it very worth while to buy machines and build a light factory as soon as possible, usually after buying the private truck station.  Especially with how important roads are.  A single light fact 1 can give you a few roads a turn, or help accelerate early military build up to fight off things and capture minors.

Mkok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: December 18, 2020, 09:37:06 pm »

Is it just me or is minor integration OP? You can very easily get hundreds of soldiers just in two turns. Just did a game where I had a very hard start, major just two tiles from capital who turns out to be nemesis, arachnids to the south who liked to chill near my capital, nomads to the east who want to fertilize the fields with my troops, raiders declaring war very quickly from the north, all other neighbors behind these. I integrated another raider minor, used their troops to quickly seize city of the ones attacking me, then another raiders declared war so I repeated, integrated another raider minor and seized undefended city. Then I found two more raider factions in the area, integrated both of them and had easily 500+ raider units ready to take over nemesis. Turn 28, 9 cities and half the world is under my control, including both original enemy regions fully under my control, their last city besieged by another raider faction from one side and by my hordes that finally made the long march to the frontlines that kept moving faster then they could walk on the other. And what more, if I actually started running out of soldiers I could just integrate another raider clan which I have already vassalized and get 400+ more troops, this is just crazy.

There is really no downside to this strategy, you get TONS of free troops along with a free fully loyal region, if you fail you can just try again, stratagems are generated reliably, , all at the cost of some PP. It even felt OP in the previous game where I used it on farmers, you get less troops, but it is still a huge ammount. Best thing is, I didnt have to build a single thing in single city outside of the capital the whole time, only roads to connect the newly united clans.

But it felt great, I kinda felt like genghis khan, uniting all the divided raider clans, some by diplomacy some by force, and then swarming over the more advanced developed nation  :D

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: December 18, 2020, 10:25:22 pm »

I believe integration only works when a major declares war on a minor, which is the balancing factor on that strategy.  If you are able to integrate without a Major declaring war on them, then its not working as intended and indeed bugged

In most of my games, the AI usually doesn't declare war on any minor that I've declared protected, because they don't want what you're mentioning.  Maybe the Nemesis AI is just stupid and belligerent.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: December 18, 2020, 10:34:51 pm »

I'm pretty sure they mean Unification/Annexation minor regime strategy cards. Which are both fairly easy to pull off with a good diplomat and very powerful.

Mkok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: December 19, 2020, 07:59:26 am »

Yes, I meant unification.... First I used Offer client, had difficulty cca 60 on 5 of my raider minors, which is easy to get, and the two raider minors who had 700+ difficulty fell to my new raider armies. Then I used unification the next turn, had always difficulty 2d100, and my roll was even without temporary bonuses 1d100+47, on a failed roll there is no downside other then wasted PP, so I just kept rolling until success. I actually failed my first two Offer clients and first two unifications in that game. This strategy did eat up all my PP as well as leader enhancement cards, but little else.

I feel like the next game I play I will forbid myself from ever creating foreign affairs council to actually have any sort of difficulty.

I never used annexation as it had higher difficulty than integration higher PP cost and had a chance of going to war instead. Does this mean Unification is bugged? It has exactly the same requirements as annexation for me.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2020, 08:08:24 am by Mkok »

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: December 19, 2020, 12:28:12 pm »

Are you playing a beta version or stable? Client had too low a difficulty and protectorate too high; that's fixed in the beta. Admittedly, that's just meant that my go-to is protectorate now...

(If annexation and unification have wildly disparate difficulties, they may be similarly bugged - IDK)

Unification feels like it should have a downside when you fail, yes. Not that I think I've ever failed.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2020, 12:29:52 pm by E. Albright »

Mkok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: December 20, 2020, 07:14:21 pm »

I see, Im on stable, good to know this has already been fixed  :D

Unification definitely needs some sort of change, maybe if it was realistically possible to succeed only with very hard relation and having new stratagem that can increase the relation to make it actually take more then just one turn after establishing client state  ::) And somehow reducing the amount of militia you get upon unification/annexation might be a good idea as well, as right now you get crazy amounts as minors seem to get more and more militia every turn to protect themselves. Maybe if they actually started to slowly reduce their militia after they become client state? As in they would depend on you for protection so no need to keep such huge army or something ::) It might be just militia, but in those numbers it just zerg rushes everything...

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: December 20, 2020, 07:51:24 pm »

The really scary thing isn't seeing a raider minor with 15-20 militia BNs and RGTs flip, giving you several thousand raider militia, irregular artillery, irregular armor, etc. It's if it's a size IV or V raider city with both a huge population and a massive militancy giving you all that, and then the next turn having another 15-20 units show up when recruitment zeal sweeps the city-state... but since these are fresh-spawned militia, they're decked out in your military surplus...

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: December 21, 2020, 06:53:24 am »

It's even better if the Raider militia that flips used the fauna as cavalry...
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 49