Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21

Author Topic: You are a Minor Xenos Species in Warhammer 40k  (Read 23537 times)

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Minor Xenos Species in Warhammer 40k
« Reply #270 on: June 11, 2020, 06:59:12 pm »

OK, so, remember that any means of reproduction that *doesn't* combine DNA/an equivalent is going to naturally be less diverse, more prone to speciation (may or may not be a terrible problem, but still), and slower to evolve.

So far, "construction" is interesting but is a little too...tailored for exploitation? I think it'd make more sense if "animals" on our planet tend to be made of a core "alive" and squishy component and a surrounding harder shell that is not necessary "dead" but not as "alive" as the core, if that makes sense. Manipulative bits and all would be various bits of the "shell"; basically the core would be the most basic possible unit of life for any of these species. Loss of the various organs and manipulators and armor that builds up in the outer shell would hurt the creature, but wouldn't be capable of killing it because the core can always sustain itself. Less-intelligent species are made of almost completely identical individuals since they are only capable of replicating an external body plan in their instructions, as life gets more intelligent individuals start to be able to alter their external body plan (quite literally a body plan, as in "blueprints", encoded in our equivalent of genetics) to suit themselves. The more intelligent, the more alterations they can conceive of and build.

Individuals would start with just a core and thus be vulnerable when young, but capable of rapidly beginning to build the shell around themselves. Plant equivalents would perhaps just be immobile forms that often prefer a more defense-oriented shell layer rather than one capable of movement and whatnot?

This core either needs to be produced by more than two individuals, inherit the memories of the individual that produced it (thus technically making our entire biosphere basically immortal by most considerations, I think?), or be capable of doing the thing proposed previously where young individuals group up to make larger more capable ones with more diversity.
I like this. Give it a name and I'll put it in the votebox and vote for it.

My understanding is that most if not all of our organ-equivalents are very small and evenly distributed across the body; the circulatory system wierd defined is particularly centerless. It shouldn't be unduly difficult to hook units together to "share" a larger body similar to the plasmodium of slime molds. (I particularly like that Physarum polycephalum has three sex chromosomes, which fits our creatures thematically.) This larger body then produces the reproductive cells out of the genetic grab bag from its constituents.

I like the idea of combining slime mold reproduction with a budding/shedding mechanism. After two or more gametes successfully hook together, they can incubate in the parent pseudo-plasmodium for a little while forming miniature bodies of their own before breaking out of the crust and going on their way.

-----

Ninja: Yes, I suppose this does fall under "Sexual with alien twist".

Code: [Select]
Fission (0)
Fragmentation (1) PM
Budding (2) NG, TL,
Sexual (2) MetalSlimeHunt, mightymushroom
Exotic (Construction) (2) Glass, SC
Exotic (Shedding) (2) MoP, IncompetentFortressMaker
Exotic (Accretion) (1) Kilojoule Proton
« Last Edit: June 11, 2020, 07:11:51 pm by mightymushroom »

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: June 11, 2020, 07:09:30 pm »

Fission (0)
Fragmentation (1) PM
Budding (1) TL,
Exotic (Shedding) (3) MoP, IncompetentFortressMaker, NG

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: June 11, 2020, 07:12:26 pm »

Fission (0)
Fragmentation (2) PM, Rockeater
Budding (1) TL,
Exotic (Shedding) (3) MoP, IncompetentFortressMaker, NG
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: June 11, 2020, 07:13:54 pm »

But I'm no good with names, though.

Anyway here it is, laid out.

Exotic: Core Combination
Our planet features a truly weird form of life, made of a core of highly vital organs enmeshed in neural matter and covered in functional "shells" of armor, skin, appendages, lungs and other large organs (mostly those necessary to support the components of the shell instead of necessary for the core proper). The innermost core can sustain its own life with its photosynthetic/radiotrophic processes. It cannot really fully provide for its own needs, so most of the neural matter and large sections of the organs hibernate in any creature without shell layers capable of providing more energy and nutrients. In "plants", the neural matter is not really composed of neurons but much more effective radiotrophic components capable of providing much more energy to the plant, and its shell tends to both lift the core further into the air (in tree analogs) and add more and more collecting area or, sometimes, chemical defenses to deter predation.

Cores are not necessarily spherical and shells are not necessarily actual solid shells of hard materials (though such defenses are certainly common given that everything in our biosphere is made of actual rock and needs radiation shielding), but many creatures in our biosphere (definitely not all and perhaps not even most) share a definable "core" which is fully grown before release from its parent and gains capabilities as it gains additional pieces.

These cores can certainly be spawned in as many ways as any biosphere can support, but the lineage that led to the intelligent species on our planet used a peculiar form of neural matter sharing, where individuals produce "excess" neural matter and some of the organs of a core in one of their shell layers, and combines it with additional members of the species (not sure how many would make sense) who have produced some of the other organs the new core will need to actually be a fully-formed core. This mixing of neural matter and organs from different sources encouraged diversity and evolution, and also allowed the passing down of some amount of memory along with instinct and learned behaviors from each generation of organisms to the next.

Sheesh, I much prefer sticking to physics. This biology stuff is weird.

Fission: (0)
Fragmentation: (2) PM, Rockeater
Budding: (1) TL,
Exotic (Construction): (2) Glass, SC
Exotic (Shedding): (3) MoP, IncompetentFortressMaker, NG
Exotic (Accretion): (1) Kilojoule Proton
Exotic (Core Combination): (1) Madman
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: June 11, 2020, 07:15:11 pm »

Exotic (Construction): (1) SC
Exotic (Accretion): (1) Kilojoule Proton
Exotic (Core Combination): (2) Madman, Glass
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Kilojoule Proton

• Bay Watcher
  • µ
    • View Profile
    • YG toolbox
« Reply #275 on: June 11, 2020, 08:28:42 pm »

Sexual (3) MetalSlimeHunt, mightymushroom, Kilojoule Proton
Exotic (Construction): (1) SC

b28b 84f2 b6e5 6f86 b10b c99b 8d9a 8530 54dc 2c8c d3b2 0e8e 36d4 9949 d87e d12b

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: June 11, 2020, 08:52:59 pm »

Sexual (4) MetalSlimeHunt, mightymushroom, Kilojoule Proton, SC777
Exotic (Construction): (0)

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: June 11, 2020, 09:53:22 pm »

Optimization is for lame-os. Y'alls wanted to be siliconboys to be different but now you just wanna have 'em bang like boring humans. Boooooooo, I object.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: June 11, 2020, 09:55:31 pm »

Exotic (Shedding): (4) MoP, IncompetentFortressMaker, NG, Taricus
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: June 11, 2020, 09:59:41 pm »

Optimization is for lame-os. Y'alls wanted to be siliconboys to be different but now you just wanna have 'em bang like boring humans. Boooooooo, I object.
I object to it as well, please use the most recent voted to add your vote to which reproduction system you prefer, 6 non sexual reproduction methods to choose, or propose another exotic reproduction form

Skynet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: June 11, 2020, 10:22:44 pm »

Exotic (Shedding): (5) MoP, IncompetentFortressMaker, NG, Taricus, Skynet
Though I'm very sympathetic towards Core Combination, I'm just strategically voting against Sexual reproduction. If it counts, I hope that "Core Combination" gets used as the 'fluff' to justify the Shedding method of reproduction.

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: June 11, 2020, 10:31:18 pm »

While I can't speak for all the Sexy Voters, I want them to bang like slime molds and am preparing a short dissertation to that effect in anticipation of the GM asking, "Sex how?"

In case you're wondering, I intend to borrow from the shedding proposal in that the young break their way out of the parents' skin/shell. And it would allow for multiple simultaneous egress, possibly fatal to the parent, as an echo of the fragmentation option.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: June 11, 2020, 10:34:09 pm »

While I can't speak for all the Sexy Voters, I want them to bang like slime molds and am preparing a short dissertation to that effect in anticipation of the GM asking, "Sex how?"

In case you're wondering, I intend to borrow from the shedding proposal in that the young break their way out of the parents' skin/shell. And it would allow for multiple simultaneous egress, possibly fatal to the parent, as an echo of the fragmentation option.
So, sex, then fragmentation of the parents once the gametes are combined and the young break out?

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: June 11, 2020, 10:58:13 pm »

I'm still shaping some of the fine details. In the current draft having sex would be a long term commitment inasmuch as my proposal would entail minimum 4 partners (maybe more) but at this stage of evolution nobody is smart enough yet to do all the matchmaking beforehand. So the first two hook up and hope they run into more critters who are compatible. To keep together they form a physical bond that isn't intended to be broken. (Compare Footballfish, not necessarily with the same size differential.)

Whether the offspring are fatal to the parent on the way out depends on how many there are tearing gashes in the parents' epidermis, and how large they grow before leaving. It's likely to be "too many" – this is what I meant by an 'echo' of fragmentation, not the parents themselves but the scattering of offspring – this early on in evolution simply because many offspring is such a useful way to compete in the food web. On Earth there is a tendency for larger (and/or smarter) organisms to invest resources in fewer but well developed young, though this is not an absolute rule. The eventual dominant species might do the same or might not.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2020, 11:00:08 pm by mightymushroom »

Ardent Debater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: June 11, 2020, 10:58:57 pm »

Spoiler:  GM Note (click to show/hide)

I feel like we can drop the 40k part of the title until after our civilization starts researching FTL travel, since it's more or less "an evolving pre-sapient alien race is you" right now.
Spoiler:  GM Note (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2020, 11:34:15 pm by Ardent Debater »
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21