Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 21

Author Topic: You are a Minor Xenos Species in Warhammer 40k  (Read 23612 times)

Ardent Debater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Minor Xenos Species in Warhammer 40k
« Reply #165 on: June 10, 2020, 01:43:28 pm »

Code: (Biochemistry Vote) [Select]
Carbon (1): MetalSlimeHunt
Silicon (3): NG, IncompetentFortressMaker, Madman
Something Exotic (0):

I mean, I kind of want to suggest that multiple forms of life somehow arose on our planet so we could have carbon competing with silicon or whatnot. Also, I'm now regretful we didn't have exotic materials or whatever it was that would've allowed us to be made of something exotic.
Spoiler:  GM Note (click to show/hide)

Carbon.
We're isolated so we don't need the combat strength, and difficult FTL means our colonies are going to be hard enough to start without the great effort terraforming for silicon life would need need.

Carbon (2): MetalSlimeHunt, Nirur
Silicon (3): NG, IncompetentFortressMaker, Madman
Something Exotic (0):

Carbon (3): MetalSlimeHunt, Nirur, Superdorf?
Silicon (5): NG, IncompetentFortressMaker, Madman, TL, SC777
Something Exotic (0):

I mean what other silicon life form can be that isn’t just rock-“something”?
« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 01:50:01 pm by Ardent Debater »

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 10, 2020, 01:58:31 pm »

Carbon (5): MetalSlimeHunt, Nirur, Superdorf?, mightymushroom, Kashyyk
Silicon (6): NG, IncompetentFortressMaker, Madman, TL, SC777, Powder Miner
Something Exotic (0):

MrThrowaway

• Bay Watcher
  • The Trashman
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: June 10, 2020, 02:09:59 pm »

Code: [Select]
Carbon (6): MetalSlimeHunt, Nirur, Superdorf?, mightymushroom, Kashyyk, MrThrowaway
Silicon (6): NG, IncompetentFortressMaker, Madman, TL, SC777, Powder Miner
Something Exotic (0):
« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 02:12:07 pm by MrThrowaway »
el basurero

Kilojoule Proton

• Bay Watcher
  • µ
    • View Profile
    • YG toolbox
« Reply #168 on: June 10, 2020, 02:29:45 pm »

Carbon (6): MetalSlimeHunt, Nirur, Superdorf?, mightymushroom, Kashyyk, MrThrowaway
Silicon (7): NG, IncompetentFortressMaker, Madman, TL, SC777, Powder Miner, Kilojoule Proton
Something Exotic (0):

b28b 84f2 b6e5 6f86 b10b c99b 8d9a 8530 54dc 2c8c d3b2 0e8e 36d4 9949 d87e d12b

Screech9791

• Bay Watcher
  • quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: June 10, 2020, 03:11:40 pm »

Silicon (8): NG, IncompetentFortressMaker, Madman, TL, SC777, Powder Miner, Kilojoule Proton, 0cra
Something Exotic (0):

Let's go with sentient rock people. It's surely going to be a boulder option than being a lame carbon-based life form, and plus, the concept of being made of a material that's way harder to destroy than flesh just rocks.

Plus, why not travel the void in cool looking spaceship-shaped rocks?

also I will be do a favor in my future forum games for anyone who gifts me the Lithoids Species Pack dlc for Stellaris, my steam name is Punishing Screech
« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 03:13:55 pm by 0cra_tr0per »
it's over

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: June 10, 2020, 03:30:15 pm »

Carbon (7): MetalSlimeHunt, Nirur, Superdorf?, mightymushroom, Kashyyk, MrThrowaway, IronyOwl
Silicon (8): NG, IncompetentFortressMaker, Madman, TL, SC777, Powder Miner, Kilojoule Proton, 0cra
Something Exotic (0):
I kinda skimmed this but fundamental chemistry seems like a weird place to trade versatility for Being SpecialTM.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

IncompetentFortressMaker

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:MODDING:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: June 10, 2020, 03:35:24 pm »

Let's go with sentient rock people. It's surely going to be a boulder option than being a lame carbon-based life form, and plus, the concept of being made of a material that's way harder to destroy than flesh just rocks.
Aarrgh that pun.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: June 10, 2020, 03:39:32 pm »

I’m not super invested in the outcome of this particular vote, but if we do go silicon, since it will add a significant bias (and my system plan means we’re pretty tilted towards this already) towards building up our home system for a long time while we struggle our way towards colonization, I wonder if we could end up building the many caverns of our planet and more tunnels throughout the underground into a massive ecumenopolis that one day rivals Commoragh (as much as any one planet can do that, anyhow).

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: June 10, 2020, 03:44:18 pm »

Why rival Commoragh when we can just steal Commoragh?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: June 10, 2020, 03:46:18 pm »

Because TTS taught me that Commorragh is basically the most hellish of all the magical space hells in this twisted universe?
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: June 10, 2020, 03:48:04 pm »

Our silacon soldiers would have real trouble in any extended siege or offensive, and we'll need to keep the supply lines running perfectly.

I really worry that this will lock us into playing tall, with big stick defense, because going wide becomes almost impossible.

chaotick21

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: June 10, 2020, 03:52:32 pm »

Carbon (7): MetalSlimeHunt, Nirur, Superdorf?, mightymushroom, Kashyyk, MrThrowaway, IronyOwl
Silicon (9): NG, IncompetentFortressMaker, Madman, TL, SC777, Powder Miner, Kilojoule Proton, 0cra, Chaoskl21
Something Exotic (0):
Carbon is lame

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: June 10, 2020, 03:55:49 pm »

Carbon (8): MetalSlimeHunt, Nirur, Superdorf?, mightymushroom, Kashyyk, MrThrowaway, IronyOwl, Powder Miner
Silicon (8): NG, IncompetentFortressMaker, Madman, TL, SC777, Kilojoule Proton, 0cra, Chaoskl21
Something Exotic (0):
Actually, you know what, I thought about it and going Silicon doesn’t really give advantages that I think would be worth essentially entirely closing ourselves off — if we want to do a high-tech built-up kind of empire, we can do that just fine with carbon, as silicon doesn’t much help with that, and as my system plan already biases us towards that, what with the lack of warp routes and the ideal atmosphere choices. Going silicon pushes that into a pretty far extreme without really benefitting us besides making us stronk, which I don’t care about as much. I like rokk and all, but...

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: June 10, 2020, 04:09:09 pm »

Carbon (9): MetalSlimeHunt, Nirur, Superdorf?, mightymushroom, Kashyyk, MrThrowaway, IronyOwl, Powder Miner, Glass
Silicon (8): NG, IncompetentFortressMaker, Madman, TL, SC777, Kilojoule Proton, 0cra, Chaoskl21
Something Exotic (0):

I know I said I wanted us to be silicon-based at the start, but I'd thought that would involve increased environmental resilience, not decreased. It just doesn't seem worth it.
Everyone and their mother has mech suits in this setting, we can use those for strength.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: June 10, 2020, 04:13:41 pm »

Hey since circuitry is largely made of silicon, would silicon-based life be more capable of using biomechanical augments and the like?
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 21