Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 21

Author Topic: You are a Minor Xenos Species in Warhammer 40k  (Read 23593 times)

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Minor Xenos Species in Warhammer 40k
« Reply #90 on: June 08, 2020, 03:48:57 pm »

What I know for sure is that orbit eccentricity increases steadily as the number of relatively-large satellites increases. If our own system is any indication, even a Super-Earth with five moons is going to have some wild orbital systems.
I believe that the assumption is that more moons = smaller moons.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 08, 2020, 03:54:53 pm »

Sure, but to even be a moon instead of a temporally-captured asteroid for a terrestrial planet there's going to be a higher relative degree of mass between the planet and moons than for a gas giant. More eccentricity is inevitable.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Ardent Debater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 08, 2020, 03:58:48 pm »

What I know for sure is that orbit eccentricity increases steadily as the number of relatively-large satellites increases. If our own system is any indication, even a Super-Earth with five moons is going to have some wild orbital systems.
Spoiler:  GM Note (click to show/hide)

I believe that the assumption is that more moons = smaller moons.

Sure, but to even be a moon instead of a temporally-captured asteroid for a terrestrial planet there's going to be a higher relative degree of mass between the planet and moons than for a gas giant. More eccentricity is inevitable.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2020, 04:02:56 pm by Ardent Debater »

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 08, 2020, 04:06:47 pm »

I'll note that I'm willing to support any quantity of moons in the range of... let's say 2-4. I'm not terribly interested in having the amount of moons we're likely to get from (2d3)d3, especially if they're largely going to be smaller. Multiple moons is fun, but they need to be sufficiently large to be worth much.

EDIT: Here's the probability table and graph:
« Last Edit: June 08, 2020, 04:09:28 pm by Glass »

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 08, 2020, 04:07:16 pm »

Code: (Moon(s) vote) [Select]
None (1) MetalSlimeHunt
One (3)  KJP, Lidku, TL
Two (1) Glass
[Three] (1) IFM
Many (3?) IFM, Rockeater, NG

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 08, 2020, 04:25:34 pm »

The astrophysicist perspective, because of course I have to bring that it :P

Many moons will force the moons to be spread out over a large range of distances from the planet (or they'll be unstable), and will act to either eject some of them (a phenomenon that progresses fast enough that no life would be around to see it happen) or reduce the eccentricity of the orbits until they all lie roughly in the same plane, the same thing that creates rings out of chaotic debris fields.

We would definitely NOT be making nighttime bright enough to harm anything, that's just...honestly kind of a silly extreme that is physically impossible to reach. Our Moon is an aberration in that it's absolutely huge compared to the size of our planet, most moons would be substantially smaller. Especially if you want many of them in a dynamically unstable system, which would basically consist of a constant stream of moons being tossed out and new asteroids being captured. One fun possibility could be a combination---one large moon comparable to Earth's (or larger, why can't we have a double planet? :P ) combined with a constant stream of large rocks from space to make life both extremely hazardous and interesting.

None (1) MetalSlimeHunt
One (3)  KJP, Lidku, TL
Two (1) Glass
[Three] (1) IFM
Many (4?) IFM, Rockeater, NG, Madman

Why not !!FUN!!?
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 08, 2020, 04:34:46 pm »

None (1) MetalSlimeHunt
One (4) KJP, Lidku, TL, SC777
Two (1) Glass
[Three] (1) IFM

Please don’t put your vote in more than a single area IFM, as all it does is confuses things

chaotick21

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 08, 2020, 04:39:11 pm »

None (1) MetalSlimeHunt
One (5) KJP, Lidku, TL, SC777, Chaoskl21
Two (1) Glass
[Three] (1) IFM

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 08, 2020, 04:39:48 pm »

None (1) MetalSlimeHunt
One (5) KJP, Lidku, TL, SC777, Chaoskl21
Two (1) Glass
[Three] (1) IFM
Many (5) IFM, Rockeater, NG, Madman, Nirur

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 08, 2020, 05:06:11 pm »

None (1) MetalSlimeHunt
One (6) KJP, Lidku, TL, SC777, Chaoskl21, Glass
Two (0)
[Three] (1) IFM
Many (5) IFM, Rockeater, NG, Madman, Nirur
I'd prefer one large moon to a bunch of small ones.

IncompetentFortressMaker

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:MODDING:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 08, 2020, 05:10:10 pm »

None (1) MetalSlimeHunt
Two (0)
[Three] (1) IFM
Many (4) Rockeater, NG, Madman, Nirur
On the request of Shadowclaw777, I'm posting here to clarify my vote in case of potential confusion. The only reason I had my vote on "Many" in the first place was in case "Three" didn't work out; thus, I have retracted my vote for Many in favor of Three, on the assumption that's even possible, as that was my original intention. Apologies for any problems caused.
Please don’t put your vote in more than a single area IFM, as all it does is confuses things

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 08, 2020, 05:24:49 pm »

I passed on this earlier because I wasn't sure how much connection to Warhammer 40K there would be. Reading the thread now, I've got to say I'm sorry I missed out.

I have to express my own skepticism that more moons makes the sky bright enough to harm vision. If familiar Luna and Sol are our measuring stick: Sol is more than 150,000 times brighter! (Apparent magnitude -13 vs. apparent magnitude -26.7 works out to a factor of about 2.512^13.) Anything that can process daylight safely isn't likely to be bothered by plausible amounts of moonlight. Maybe very bright moons (more reflective and/or refractive than ours) will not be viewed directly just as the primary star is not, but ambient light levels will not reverse the definitions of "day" and "night".

That said, one strategy to mitigate all that radiation could be to use the planet itself as a shield and become aggressively nocturnal. Our future native species may indeed be light sensitive, but I don't know that any hypothetical visiting humans would be discomfited.

None (2) MetalSlimeHunt, mightymushroom
Two (0)
[Three] (1) IFM

Ardent Debater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 08, 2020, 06:11:53 pm »

I'll note that I'm willing to support any quantity of moons in the range of... let's say 2-4. I'm not terribly interested in having the amount of moons we're likely to get from (2d3)d3, especially if they're largely going to be smaller. Multiple moons is fun, but they need to be sufficiently large to be worth much.

EDIT: Here's the probability table and graph:

The astrophysicist perspective, because of course I have to bring that it :P

Many moons will force the moons to be spread out over a large range of distances from the planet (or they'll be unstable), and will act to either eject some of them (a phenomenon that progresses fast enough that no life would be around to see it happen) or reduce the eccentricity of the orbits until they all lie roughly in the same plane, the same thing that creates rings out of chaotic debris fields.

We would definitely NOT be making nighttime bright enough to harm anything, that's just...honestly kind of a silly extreme that is physically impossible to reach. Our Moon is an aberration in that it's absolutely huge compared to the size of our planet, most moons would be substantially smaller. Especially if you want many of them in a dynamically unstable system, which would basically consist of a constant stream of moons being tossed out and new asteroids being captured. One fun possibility could be a combination---one large moon comparable to Earth's (or larger, why can't we have a double planet? :P ) combined with a constant stream of large rocks from space to make life both extremely hazardous and interesting.

None (1) MetalSlimeHunt
One (3)  KJP, Lidku, TL
Two (1) Glass
[Three] (1) IFM

Why not !!FUN!!?

None (1) MetalSlimeHunt
Two (0)
[Three] (1) IFM
On the request of Shadowclaw777, I'm posting here to clarify my vote in case of potential confusion. The only reason I had my vote on "Many" in the first place was in case "Three" didn't work out; thus, I have retracted my vote for Many in favor of Three, on the assumption that's even possible, as that was my original intention. Apologies for any problems caused.

I passed on this earlier because I wasn't sure how much connection to Warhammer 40K there would be. Reading the thread now, I've got to say I'm sorry I missed out.

I have to express my own skepticism that more moons makes the sky bright enough to harm vision. If familiar Luna and Sol are our measuring stick: Sol is more than 150,000 times brighter! (Apparent magnitude -13 vs. apparent magnitude -26.7 works out to a factor of about 2.512^13.) Anything that can process daylight safely isn't likely to be bothered by plausible amounts of moonlight. Maybe very bright moons (more reflective and/or refractive than ours) will not be viewed directly just as the primary star is not, but ambient light levels will not reverse the definitions of "day" and "night".

That said, one strategy to mitigate all that radiation could be to use the planet itself as a shield and become aggressively nocturnal. Our future native species may indeed be light sensitive, but I don't know that any hypothetical visiting humans would be discomfited.

None (2) MetalSlimeHunt, mightymushroom
Two (0)
[Three] (1) IFM

Ardent Debater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 08, 2020, 06:19:49 pm »