Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: what can / cannot be done underwater?  (Read 773 times)

Defensive kobra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
what can / cannot be done underwater?
« on: June 03, 2020, 06:03:31 am »

so i have already discovered that my dwarven miners do not seem to like it when their beards get wet during their mining, but will this be true even for stuff like placing down walls, chopping trees, crafting etc? what about ambibious animal people who should be completely fine underwater, will they be able to build, chop down trees and such underwater?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: what can / cannot be done underwater?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2020, 06:11:40 am »

Only swimming and fighting can be done underwater, regardless of species or ability.

Additionally, constructions cannot be built in a tile with 2/7 water, even though swimming doesn't occur.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 06:17:12 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Defensive kobra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2020, 10:34:47 am »

Only swimming and fighting can be done underwater, regardless of species or ability.

Additionally, constructions cannot be built in a tile with 2/7 water, even though swimming doesn't occur.
does that aslo apply to 1/7 water or is it some kind of glitch?

KevinM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2020, 11:42:08 am »

1/7 water levels are fine.  building on these was one of the ways to construct through an aquifer (though it would suspend any time the water went to 2/7 and you have to keep un-suspending it)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2020, 11:46:11 am »

KevinM is a faster typer than I am...

No, you can build on 1/7 water, so you can save a fortress from flooding by bricking up the breach before the flooding has become too deep (I guess the reasoning is somewhere along those lines). It's also necessary for the piercing of heavy aquifers using any method of bricking up the walls to work.