Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to stop the vicious cleaning cycle?  (Read 1382 times)

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to stop the vicious cleaning cycle?
« on: May 29, 2020, 05:23:29 pm »

Once cave adaption kicks in, I noticed this pattern.

Urist notices that there is a spot of dirt somewhere outside, far away from the safety of the fort.
Urist decides this must be cleaned right now!
Urist walks out into the sun and feels sick. He leaves a trail of vomit, but he must really clean that faraway spot.
Ducim notices some dirty bit of vomit outside, left there by Urist. Ducim decides this must be cleaned immediately!
Ducim leaves the safety of the fort.
Ducim cancels clean: interrupted by goblin. Ducim runs away, leaving a trail of blood on the ground.
Tosid notices a dirty bit of blood on the ground outside of the fortress. Must clean now!
Meanwhile, Erush the miner opened a cavern and his sharp eyes spot a speck of crundle blood at the far other end of these strange caves. Must clean now!

The worst thing is, I know of no way to stop a dwarf once he decides on a cleaning job. Even disabling the labor does not cancel the current job. Help? Is there any way out of this nonsense, except for disabling the job forever on everyone?

Kobold6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to stop the vicious cleaning cycle?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2020, 05:27:56 pm »

Burrows!

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2020, 05:36:22 pm »

If it's a bother then yeah, I'd suggest just turning off the cleaning labor entirely.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2020, 01:58:07 am »

I believe there is a toggle for cleaning outdoors. That won't help with the caverns, though.

I certainly would like to be able to paint volumes with "don't clean here", in particular in my execution atom smasher.

Thon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2020, 03:03:57 pm »

Wait ? Your fort is not half green half red regardless of the stone it's built in ? I'm learning something new every day.

Joking aside, someone mentioned making raiding squads spending time travelling come back without cave adaptation. Non cave adapted soldiers might be a solution for a mop up job ( pun intended ). I did notice they are more effective against goblins if they are not busy puking. Although I prefer to think goblins shuddering in horror while watching a horde of steel clad dwarves charging while puke shooting out of every available orifice of their armors.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 03:08:01 pm by Thon »

Furious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2020, 09:13:29 pm »

Wait ? Your fort is not half green half red regardless of the stone it's built in ? I'm learning something new every day.

I just sigged this. Excellent response.

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2020, 11:26:40 pm »

Urist notices that there is a spot of dirt somewhere outside, far away from the safety of the fort.
Urist walks out into the sun and feels sick. He leaves a trail of vomit, but he must really clean that faraway spot.
Ducim notices some dirty bit of vomit outside, left there by Urist. Ducim decides this must be cleaned immediately!
Ducim cancels clean: interrupted by goblin. Ducim runs away, leaving a trail of blood on the ground.
Tosid notices a dirty bit of blood on the ground outside of the fortress. Must clean now!
Meanwhile, Erush the miner opened a cavern and his sharp eyes spot a speck of crundle blood at the far other end of these strange caves. Must clean now!

The worst thing is, I know of no way to stop a dwarf once he decides on a cleaning job. Even disabling the labor does not cancel the current job. Help? Is there any way out of this nonsense, except for disabling the job forever on everyone?

Have enough actually useful work queued in the job manager that they rarely if ever get around to cleaning.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2020, 02:29:06 am »

Have enough actually useful work queued in the job manager that they rarely if ever get around to cleaning.
Doesn't seem to work. If they end up close to a contaminated tile when they're due to pick up a new job they often take cleaning, even if there's a never ending backlog of hauling to be done.

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2020, 11:14:37 am »

Burrows will beat cleaning.

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2020, 02:01:20 am »

Doesn't seem to work. If they end up close to a contaminated tile when they're due to pick up a new job they often take cleaning, even if there's a never ending backlog of hauling to be done.

Hauling seems to be even less prioritized.  I mean things like digging and smelting and gemcutting and craftmaking and strand extraction and clothesmaking and brewing and cooking and building construction etc.  I tend to have the opposite problem where they never clean anything.