Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: first try wth new version, no errorlog crash, what would i even post  (Read 850 times)

Posh Octavia

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

so I'm trying to get back into modding df in time for the new graphics release, and boy am i ever getting hobbled right out the gate. I'm trying to update and modify an old but fairly basic centaur mod to get a feel for the changes to the new version, and just when i thought it was all ready to start bugtesting ... nothing. game opened, places the civilizations, then immediately crashes so hard it doesn't even make an errorlog.  i didn't even know that was possible with this game, or at least i don't remember it happening before, so I'm kinda uncertain where to even start with it.

I've never had to ask for help before I don't think, but this is ridiculous, I don't even have a hint as to what could be causing the issue.  I'd love to attach the gamefile but the "attachments and other options" menu has only other options and no attachments, so its wierd that it gets my hopes up with a name like that, so I'm gonna try and upload it as a discord link https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/703861151506890806/715126390206496768/df_47_04_modded.zip

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Luckily we already figured this one out.
Civs whose main race/castes have No_Eat and have permitted_job:fish_cleaner will crash worldgen unless the civ's Merriment and Leisure_time values are set to negative.

Yeah, it's a weird one. But working around that should see you get round your crash.

Bug reports:
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=11458

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=11464
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 04:11:48 am by Shonai_Dweller »

Posh Octavia

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

oh wtf, thanks for that, ill see if i can fix it tomorrow.
you're awesome

Fatace

• Bay Watcher
  • Cease hostilities? Never!
    • View Profile

I feel like we need to make a DF Wiki page dedicated to modders + new modders to give out information related to new bugs/breaks with certain versions, or at least a sticky'd post on here giving out the info. Since the 47.x release I've noticed a lot of people coming here with the issue asking this same question, or the Dark Fortress issue, ect. It's good that we are helping, but it stinks that the answers are buried in old posts or the 47.x modding thread  :( , which in the past I've came to the same issue as well, to where, I had an issue, but couldn't find any answers, but they were already answered somewhere buried in a thread ;-;
I once had a 30 dwarf glacier fortress once.. was going great till the dwarf merchants brought along a WereKoala and killed everyone...

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile

The dark fortress bug is also back. If you have such civ with positions, it will crash there too.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The dark fortress bug is also back. If you have such civ with positions, it will crash there too.
Back? Don't think it ever went away.

Posh Octavia

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

ok, so getting back at it today, the creatures didnt have No_Eat, and removing the fish cleaner job didn't affect it either. i tried setting the merriment and leisure time values to negative and that had no effect either, so i think this might be a new inexplicable bug

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

ok, so getting back at it today, the creatures didnt have No_Eat, and removing the fish cleaner job didn't affect it either. i tried setting the merriment and leisure time values to negative and that had no effect either, so i think this might be a new inexplicable bug
Upload your save to DFFD and someone might take a look at it. Also post a bug report and reference the No_eat and values bugs I posted earlier. It's probably something very close. Crashing just as placing civilizations starts (or occasionally a few years in) is exactly how the No_Eat bug crashed.

The mod worked OK in previous versions, right? When was the last time you tested it?

DFFD (official dwarf fortress file server hosted by Bay12. Anything posted here will still be around in a few years when Toady gets round to thinking about a fix):
http://dffd.bay12games.com/
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 10:30:43 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Posh Octavia

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

this one was a centaur mod i had found on there that i figured id fiddle with to get back into modding df, it last worked with 44.12.  i wasn't intending to upload it since its a heavily modified version of someone elses mod, so I'm not sure if its ok to upload it there considering that. that discord link seems to work like i hoped at least, its the whole game with that mod in it. its definitely the origin since the game works if its removed, but i cant imagine why it wont even make an error

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

this one was a centaur mod i had found on there that i figured id fiddle with to get back into modding df, it last worked with 44.12.  i wasn't intending to upload it since its a heavily modified version of someone elses mod, so I'm not sure if its ok to upload it there considering that. that discord link seems to work like i hoped at least, its the whole game with that mod in it. its definitely the origin since the game works if its removed, but i cant imagine why it wont even make an error
Lots of bugs (like the No_eat crash) don't put anything in the Errorlog. So we're left to make wild guesses as to the causes.