Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: Zehlin Team Thread - FR20 [~4 Players]  (Read 9322 times)

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
Re: Zehlin Team Thread - FR20 [~4 Players]
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2020, 02:19:07 am »

How does one get Souldreg, is it only harvested from fallen humans/sapients, can we get more by gathering the Deep from the water?, does the age of the sapient who died matter for us getting a Souldreg out of that person, or prisoners of war could they be transferred into that resource?

If it’s based on the intelligence of the freshly dead, then do things like bunnies, insects, and whatnot provide cumulatively less Soul Dreg compared to humans, dolphins, elephants, etc
« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 02:22:31 am by Shadowclaw777 »

The Adversary

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Oh Deer God...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2020, 04:56:29 am »

Important question for the GM, can the sanity loss from consuming soul dregs be repaired?

Repaired? Not exactly. It can be dealt with, shackled and bound, but actually fixing it would require fixing the transformations that go with it.

How does one get Souldreg, is it only harvested from fallen humans/sapients, can we get more by gathering the Deep from the water?, does the age of the sapient who died matter for us getting a Souldreg out of that person, or prisoners of war could they be transferred into that resource?

If it’s based on the intelligence of the freshly dead, then do things like bunnies, insects, and whatnot provide cumulatively less Soul Dreg compared to humans, dolphins, elephants, etc

There are two ways of gaining Soul Dregs: intercepting them from the living at the moment of death, or panning the Deep for them and extracting them via ritual. The first involves having a ready supply of people dying in a timely fashion. The second involves pissing things off by stealing their food.

Anything that could spend an afternoon arguing over the statement 'I Think Therefore I Am' can generate soul dregs. In most cases, someone much older will generate more souls dregs than someone much younger. The soul dregs are what remains when you extract someone's soul, the baseline of who they are, from their personality when they die. It's an individual's accumulated mortal experiences that weren't momentous enough to change the core of their being but were still important.

Killing sentient but non-sapient life, insects, bunnies, etc, does not produce a discernible amount of dregs.
The pure destructive force of a full speed taco truck is pretty bad, and adding a bomb on won't add that much."

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2020, 11:45:53 am »

Enhanced dead
By using lunacy on the most fresh and intact corpses, we can transform them into weapons, instruments of death. Just as they are dead, so shall others become dead by their touch. This transformation adds claws that are supernaturally sharp and deadly, able to inflict death upon enemies with disturbing ease. To go with this improved vessel we can use more powerful and intelligent beings, granting these enhanced dead incredible strength, speed, and a measure of cunning.
Cloak of defense
An upgraded cloak imbued with a being of the deep, granting it the capacity to redirect strikes away from the wearer. Twisting and writhing to physically grab incoming strikes, along with a mild luck/telekinetic effect that makes projectiles less likely to hit. Providing a lightweight defensive option for our high ranking officers and magic users.
Staff of wind
A quarterstaff imbued with a being of the deep, allowing it to create and control flows/movements of air within 20 feet of it. Creating high pressure blades, blowing projectiles off course, and even, with a bit of practice, flying. All are applications
Quote from: votebox
Enhanced dead:(1) DGR
Dull miad synthesis: (1) DGR
Staff of wind: (1) DGR
« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 12:21:12 pm by dgr11897 »
Quote from: evicted Saint on discord
Weaponizing Jesus isn't something you do turn 4
Quote from: Alice on a different discord, to iridium, kind of.
hold on, let me keep blowing kisses at him until he stops
My Power armor arms race

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2020, 12:01:21 pm »

Yeah those were really fortunate rolls. Unfortunately our one flaw for the whole turn makes our boats terrible in the enemy's sea territory.

Quote from: Deep wells
We need soul dregs, that much is obvious. So, we have created some rituals to help us extract more from the Deep. Reaching down and scooping out the raw material of souls.
Logic for the second thing, Quicken the dead is going to be... Useful, if we can make sure to have enough of a surplus of Soul dregs to pay that cost at every opportunity.
Can we design resource buildings like this?

Suggestion for something we should do, can we use a being of the deep to generate and maintain an object at a specific temperature/temperature transfer, aka, can we use a being of the deep to allow for more prolonged growth of Burning Miad crystals. Also, we should work on some kind of lightning based weapon, possibly using a being of the Deep to transform the electricity released from evaporating dull miad (a substance relatively easily obtained by dropping objects from great height at night, or down into deep tunnels) into a coherent/directed bolt of electrical energy.
Quote from: Lightning staff
Our abilities at range could use some work, as could our offensive power in general, as such, we have developed this, a weapon to shoot bolts of low power lightning at a target.
A simple combination of Dull miad and our ability to conjure beings of the deep, this weapon functions by using conduits of dull miad to direct electricity from evaporating canisters of Dull miad into a focusing orb. This orb is composed of stone, not known for being conductive, but it doesn't need to be, it just needs to be able to survive the entropic effects of being host to a being of the deep. The beings that are called up to inhabit the focusing orb are of a... Stormy disposition, able to shape the raw electrical energy from the rest of the staff into a directed bolt of electricity, frying a target. The needed dull miad is simple enough to synthesize using fast falling objects and towers built up over pits, giving the maximum distance to fall for minimum effort, combined with keeping it out of the light.
I like the idea of lightning staves but I'm not sure about your plan(s) to generate Miad using Deep Ones. It feels roundabout to pay dregs to summon an eldritch horror to... move an arrow really fast, to then generate magic velocity-serum, which then shoots lightning. Why not just summon a horror with powerful lightning abilities or a close enough equivalent to begin with? Or for that matter, shoot arrows really fast.

I'll put in designs/votes later.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2020, 12:06:17 pm »

Yeah those were really fortunate rolls. Unfortunately our one flaw for the whole turn makes our boats terrible in the enemy's sea territory.
I like the idea of lightning staves but I'm not sure about your plan(s) to generate Miad using Deep Ones. It feels roundabout to pay dregs to summon an eldritch horror to... move an arrow really fast, to then generate magic velocity-serum, which then shoots lightning. Why not just summon a horror with powerful lightning abilities or a close enough equivalent to begin with? Or for that matter, shoot arrows really fast.

I'll put in designs/votes later.
Not summoning an eldritch horror to generate miad, using miad gained through other, more mundane methods to generate the energy, then having a horror transform that energy into a bolt of lightning. But summoning a horror for lightning would work. Also, the miad generation I was talking about for using eldritch horrors to generate is Burning miad, Which requires a constant or increasing heat transfer to continue to grow and stay "stable", thus why a horror that deals with fire and/or heat transfer could be useful for generating large samples of Burning Miad for weapons or their anti gravity properties.
My Power armor arms race

The Adversary

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Oh Deer God...
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2020, 12:16:18 pm »

Cloak of defense
How does the cloak redirect strikes? Does it twist and writhe to catch blades and physically grab them, or is it just telekinetically forcing the blades aside?

Entropic Blast
Creatures of the Deep must be called into the object they inhabit, they can't flit between objects. The latter would be... very bad.

Ritual of Death Bringing
Lunamancy is about evolution. Even the empty moon is part of a cycle. Becoming dead isn't really much of an evolution. Becoming undead, piercing the boundary, or twinning life and death into something else, those are possible- but Sacred Lunacy isn't a killing art by itself.

Quote from: Deep wells
We need soul dregs, that much is obvious. So, we have created some rituals to help us extract more from the Deep. Reaching down and scooping out the raw material of souls.
Logic for the second thing, Quicken the dead is going to be... Useful, if we can make sure to have enough of a surplus of Soul dregs to pay that cost at every opportunity.
Can we design resource buildings like this?

Yes. I generally like more exposition, but it's a valid design. Increasing your resources, however, is always going to be harder- and the more you do it the harder it's going to get. Furthermore, there's a notification that's sent out when the teams are at a resource imbalance- so you can't snowball advantage until the enemy cottons on.

Also, about the boat, it is a minor flaw. It isn't cripplingly awful, it just makes the boat worse than it could be in the wrong situations.

For Deep conjurations, the object you're conjuring things into will be visibly affected- with stronger beings generating stronger effects. Consuming dregs will similarly physically change an individual, with increased size being a commonality.

This is your dog. This is your dog on soul dregs.

If being from the Deep is in an object, it usually isn't feeding. Exceptions do exist for things that get to taste blood themselves, such as the Deep-Lunar blade, and potentially the undead soldiers if they're ripping and tearing.

For most things, it'll pay to decide whether you're capturing and compelling service (granting an object with a limited number of charges) or paying a being to stay loyal (granting an object that recharges, but has a considerably higher dregs cost).
The pure destructive force of a full speed taco truck is pretty bad, and adding a bomb on won't add that much."

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2020, 01:13:25 pm »

How does isolated equipment work deployment-wise? If we make demonic swords or lightning grenades without a specific place to use them, what happens?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

The Adversary

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Oh Deer God...
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2020, 01:23:51 pm »

How does isolated equipment work deployment-wise? If we make demonic swords or lightning grenades without a specific place to use them, what happens?

They'll be deployed as evenly as you can make them, unless you can specify otherwise. So, if you can make demonic swords, but their deployment is very rare, you might have only a handful of soldiers on each front carrying these blades.

Your infantry is sort of a baseline. If you make pieces of equipment in isolation, it's assumed that you'll have people who are at least trained in its basic usage. While you might at some point want to construct elite infantry who are particularly good at wielding demon swords and lightning grenades, just designing demon swords and lightning grenades means that the'll be salted into your basic ranks.

Edit: Unless you specify otherwise, I will assume that you're trying to hand enough of everything to give one to every soldier, and I'll set the prices accordingly.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 01:35:34 pm by The Adversary »

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2020, 05:26:56 pm »

Sword of the sun
A weapon based on an old legend, this blade possesses a golden Cross-guard, and a shimmering blade. It is created through an intense mixture of Lunacy and Deep communion.
The Cross-guard is imbued with a lunacy ritual, allowing it to absorb sunlight, and store it away, for it is golden, just as the sun is. This light can be released later, channeled through the blade. The blade itself undergoes a ritual to grant it longevity, before a deep being is placed in it, which turns it transparent. This being is paid via soul dregs. The key feature of the Sword of the Sun is it's ability to channel the stored sunlight into either blasts of blazing hot light, or simply into the blade, covering it in golden light, capable of damaging or burning through almost anything. (Could be persuaded to make this pure lunacy. And yes, this is basically meant to be like Excalibur from fate. A giant laser of golden light that takes ages to charge up and fire.)
(more to come, sword of air, spear of lightning, and a few others)
Sword of air
 A simple enough concept, using a Lunacy transformation to counteract the decay caused by a Deep being inhabiting an object. By using a transformation to reinforce the concept of longevity in a sword, it can be made to transform into a silvery blade which doesn't rust or decay normally, though it can be chipped and broken. The deep being inhabiting it has power over wind, and enhances the piercing abilities of the sword, allowing it to circumvent or pierce through most defenses. This Being can get even stronger as the sword is used to kill, by absorbing the soul dregs from those it kills.
Spear of lightning
"I am powerless. Through this sacrifice, give me the power I speak" Man cries to the heavens.
This is the answer. A being of lightning bound into a spear, granting man power. Power to kill.
Inhabited arrow
An arrow inhabited and guided by a being of the deep, coerced by rituals. The weakest of beings, aimed like an attack dog. The resulting arrows will hit whatever target the user wills. Within reason. They can curve around, warping and twirling through the air to hit with impossible accuracy. But only once.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 08:58:38 pm by dgr11897 »
My Power armor arms race

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2020, 09:01:51 pm »

Quote from: votebox
Enhanced dead:(1) DGR
Sword of the sun: (1) DGR
Sword of air: (1) DGR
Some powerful swords to grant us some OOMPH during combat. Along with Enhanced Dead to do the same. Bonus effect, Concentrated sunlight isn't likely to do good things to anything Miad based. Question for the GM, are the swords of Sun and Air and the design for enhanced dead valid? Do they work within the bounds of the world?
My Power armor arms race

The Adversary

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Oh Deer God...
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2020, 10:11:43 pm »

Enhanced Dead is pretty sensible as things go. That being said, I would comment that using the Deep and Lunacy together is going to have a compounding effect. Lunacy is physically and/or mentally straining to the target, and the Deep influence from an outsider enhances entropy. Using these two together on a dead body is liable to create being that don't last for terribly long. Add in the fact that you need to wait for ritual times, and you can see why you might end up with fewer (or far more decayed) forces than you intended.

If you want nastier things, you can consider animating mounds of corpses, augmenting the fallen with base materials, summoning more shagnasty being of the deep into bodies, or any combination of the above. Sacred Lunacy and Communion with the Deep both PULL at their hosts, but in opposite directions. Combining the two can result in potent effects, IF the forces can be withstood.

I will say that just 'Using a lunacy transformation to counteract the decay' is not going to fly every time. For some things, it makes perfect sense (Gold is a prime example, as are diamonds, some forms of steel, some forms of silver, etc). Metals it's... iffy on. I can see where it's coming from, but you're going to lose a lot of swords in the process. Specifically for Sword of Air How would having power over the wind make a sword pierce more? While being able to feed allows you to keep a bound being of the Deep in your plane longer, keep a contracted one happy, and let either use their abilities more, it's not going to make them noticeably stronger over time. These are ancient creatures, born from nothing in the nameless womb of sheltering darkness from which all souls first came. A few decades of feasting will make only a small difference, and then only in the weaker of their kind. This kinda reads as summoning the ancient spirit of +1 swords.

Sword of the Sun is a more interesting fusion. Again, ritual for longevity isn't going to counteract the Deep decay completely, but it'll basically tag on a Auspicious hours cost to make sure your swords last as long as they can. As you said, however, the correct preparations could allow this device to be one of pure Sacred Lunacy.

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2020, 10:16:26 pm »

Enhanced Dead is pretty sensible as things go. That being said, I would comment that using the Deep and Lunacy together is going to have a compounding effect. Lunacy is physically and/or mentally straining to the target, and the Deep influence from an outsider enhances entropy. Using these two together on a dead body is liable to create being that don't last for terribly long. Add in the fact that you need to wait for ritual times, and you can see why you might end up with fewer (or far more decayed) forces than you intended.

If you want nastier things, you can consider animating mounds of corpses, augmenting the fallen with base materials, summoning more shagnasty being of the deep into bodies, or any combination of the above. Sacred Lunacy and Communion with the Deep both PULL at their hosts, but in opposite directions. Combining the two can result in potent effects, IF the forces can be withstood.

I will say that just 'Using a lunacy transformation to counteract the decay' is not going to fly every time. For some things, it makes perfect sense (Gold is a prime example, as are diamonds, some forms of steel, some forms of silver, etc). Metals it's... iffy on. I can see where it's coming from, but you're going to lose a lot of swords in the process. Specifically for Sword of Air How would having power over the wind make a sword pierce more? While being able to feed allows you to keep a bound being of the Deep in your plane longer, keep a contracted one happy, and let either use their abilities more, it's not going to make them noticeably stronger over time. These are ancient creatures, born from nothing in the nameless womb of sheltering darkness from which all souls first came. A few decades of feasting will make only a small difference, and then only in the weaker of their kind. This kinda reads as summoning the ancient spirit of +1 swords.

Sword of the Sun is a more interesting fusion. Again, ritual for longevity isn't going to counteract the Deep decay completely, but it'll basically tag on a Auspicious hours cost to make sure your swords last as long as they can. As you said, however, the correct preparations could allow this device to be one of pure Sacred Lunacy.
Thanks. I think I'll update the Sword of the sun, and rework enhanced dead. As for the wind and the piercing thing, it's based on Fragarach, and the two are unrelated. How expensive would a pure lunacy Sword of the Sun be?
My Power armor arms race

The Adversary

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Oh Deer God...
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2020, 10:32:26 pm »

How expensive would a pure lunacy Sword of the Sun be?

Generally speaking? Very. I'd say you'd be looking at a resource deficit in the 5-10 point range. Granted, that's for trying to make Swords of the Sun into weapons available as general infantry equipment.

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2020, 10:40:56 pm »

Generally speaking? Very. I'd say you'd be looking at a resource deficit in the 5-10 point range. Granted, that's for trying to make Swords of the Sun into weapons available as general infantry equipment.
What about as a piece of one off equipment or something produced as a strategic weapon? Basically a magical tac nuke.
My Power armor arms race

The Adversary

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Oh Deer God...
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2020, 11:04:00 pm »

What about as a piece of one off equipment or something produced as a strategic weapon? Basically a magical tac nuke.

If you want it to be a magical tac nuke, it's better to describe it as such. If you're intentionally shooting for something that's a national effort, things will be a little easier- but if you can't pay the costs you'll end up with something theoretical instead of actually deployable.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8