Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: FR20 - A Fantasy Arms Race With Odd Rules [Prologue 3 Out]  (Read 5260 times)

The Adversary

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Oh Deer God...
    • View Profile

I've had great fun reading through ARs, and I figured it'd be interesting to try one on for size. Don't know how much will come of it, but I hope it'll be fun while it lasts.  My rules are a bit... tweaked, inspired by some trends I've seen. Less complex than some, more complex than others. It's a bit weird. Don't hesitate to ask about anything that seems off or incomprehensible.

The biggest weirdness here is that I have done my best to make a path of... conventional warfare infeasible. There's plenty of magic to tool around with, and stabbing people with pointed sticks is a perfectly valid method of reducing their aliveness considerably, but I'm hoping to avoid the spiral of magic gun -> magic tank -> magic artillery -> magic bigger artillery -> magic high altitude urban defense stealth bomber.

Regardless, without Further Ado....

Fantasy Race - 20
Fantasy Race - 19 is currently in self-quarantine. 1-18 were killed for their impertinence.

Alikai and Zehlin; two nations that pulled themselves up by the bootstraps, conquered their own harsh landscape, built a civilization from nothing, and now rise as dominant regional powers. They both rise, look toward the sea, and watch with consternation as some stuck up civilization that had it easy in their pillowed [Insert Other Nation's Biome Here] lands starts eyeing the territory they fought so hard to claim.

Clearly this region is only big enough for one strong and independent civilization, and the only solution is a landgrab. Probably followed by total war.

Zehlin Thread

Alikai Thread

The Rules

Spoiler: Resources (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The Map And Lanes (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Other Magical Arts (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2020, 12:32:19 pm by The Adversary »
The pure destructive force of a full speed taco truck is pretty bad, and adding a bomb on won't add that much."

m1895

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FR20 - A Fantasy Arms Race With Odd Rules [Start]
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2020, 08:54:11 pm »

I'll go Alikai

The Adversary

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Oh Deer God...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2020, 08:54:44 pm »

Alikai is now going strong with 2 folks in it!
The pure destructive force of a full speed taco truck is pretty bad, and adding a bomb on won't add that much."

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2020, 09:22:17 pm »

Do you or not, get to use the chosen magic system for your first design?

The Adversary

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Oh Deer God...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2020, 09:37:01 pm »

Do you or not, get to use the chosen magic system for your first design?

You absolutely can. You can use any magic system for any design, but you're slightly better with your chosen magic system and you'll start with additional resources for it.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2020, 10:39:12 pm »

Is the decay of magic effects two-way, like if we imprint a man with the strength of an ox, does the ox regain strength as the man loses it?

Speaking of men and oxen, what race(s) are we?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

The Adversary

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Oh Deer God...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2020, 10:48:31 pm »

Is the decay of magic effects two-way, like if we imprint a man with the strength of an ox, does the ox regain strength as the man loses it?

Speaking of men and oxen, what race(s) are we?

Two-way. As the imprint fades the Ox will strengthen and the man will weaken. Under normal circumstances, all bonds will return back to balance.

You are presumably human, but that's really just a default option. Specifying a different species, particularly in an early design, is fine. It may associate a higher cost in the 'mortals' resource, however, if you're making a new race that's particularly resource intensive.

The Adversary

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Oh Deer God...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2020, 01:46:39 pm »

Double posting for puppy-eyed player begging.

Seriously, three opportunities for design in a turn. Brand new sides. Throw some fantastical ideas out there! Put a votebox down and you've got a straight chance to have your ideas define your chosen team.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2020, 01:52:28 pm »

Double posting for puppy-eyed player begging.

Seriously, three opportunities for design in a turn. Brand new sides. Throw some fantastical ideas out there! Put a votebox down and you've got a straight chance to have your ideas define your chosen team.
Don't worry, there is much interest. Just some rocket timing with respect to Stirk also starting an arms race and the threads intermixing.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2020, 03:14:31 pm »

A-Team is best team. Z-team is a team that failed 25 times.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2020, 04:12:41 pm »

Z-team is the best. A-team is compensating for something.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2020, 04:16:25 pm »

Z-team is the best. A-team is compensating for something.
You're not wrong.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

The Adversary

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Oh Deer God...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2020, 04:31:20 pm »

As I have been directly asked now, I'll answer this in general.

There is not a Discord. I do not intend to create one.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2020, 05:04:55 pm »

I'll join Alikai, as it seems to need more people more.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

UristMcRiley

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2020, 06:44:38 pm »

If it isnt too big of an issue i shall pledge my allegiance to the great Zehlin Nation
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5