Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: modding/editing intelligent undead in an already running world  (Read 1592 times)

GOTOTOTOE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

i noticed while playing that the primary undead are completely frozen in place and don't move or interact with anything, and although this fits with the name (frozen one), i find it slightly boring and in all honestly a form of torture to drag someone back from the afterlife and put them in an unmoving shell with the inability to die, so where would the file for the currently existing intelligent undead be and how would i edit it? 

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: modding/editing intelligent undead in an already running world
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2020, 06:00:24 pm »

Don't forget to post a bug report and your save before you start editing. "Frozen in place" isn't an intended feature.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2020, 07:31:43 pm »

It's not in the raws files, because it's generated. It might be in a .dat file somewhere.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2020, 07:48:59 pm »

Incidentally, what version are you playing? Building destroyer visitors and citizens would regularly freeze in place and not interact with anyone, occasionally breaking something, before it was fixed in 47.04. That might be what you're seeing.

GOTOTOTOE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2020, 05:57:36 am »

Incidentally, what version are you playing? Building destroyer visitors and citizens would regularly freeze in place and not interact with anyone, occasionally breaking something, before it was fixed in 47.04. That might be what you're seeing.
i'm playing the latest version

GOTOTOTOE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2020, 05:59:01 am »

It's not in the raws files, because it's generated. It might be in a .dat file somewhere.
and how would i edit those? they seem to be encrypted

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2020, 06:14:30 am »

and how would i edit those? they seem to be encrypted
In the init files there should be a setting for decompressing them. Try it.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

GOTOTOTOE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2020, 07:02:53 am »

found out that they stood still because they had nothing to do, once engaged in combat they fight back. now that im here can i also ask how to make embarking go instantly instead of it taking a week? i retired my fortress to play adventure for a while and when i came back all my legendary dwarves were gone except for one shitty turkey man miner named chalk with a novice skill in mining. i got all my favourite dwarves/giant tortoise/hyena together in adventure mode and managed to get them back to my fortress but when i unretired the fortress only half of them were there and the other half left for chad fortress next door in the 7 days that automatically happen when you boot up fortress mode. how would i make those days not happen?

Urist9876

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2020, 09:33:41 am »

There is a DFHACK command set mode that will instantly change game modes.
By typing mode set 1 while selecting a dwarf in fortress mode it should switch to adventure mode.
Make a backup first.

You cannot switch back directly. But you can first switch from adventurer to arena mode and to fortress mode after that.

When resuming a retired fortress I had often the same issue: many dwarves moved out. However they were in military squads and most eventually returned. It took almost a year for most to return.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 01:10:35 pm by Urist9876 »

GOTOTOTOE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2020, 12:43:33 pm »

By typing mode set 1 while selecting a dwarf in fortress mode it should switch to adventure mode.
Make a backup first.

You cannot switch back directly. But you can first switch from adventurer to arena mode and to fortress mode after that.

When resuming a retired fortress I had often the same issue: many dwarves moved out. However they were in military squads en most eventually returned. It took almost a year for most to return.
my fortress went from 170 to 35, most of which were their very own children and babies and performers, all stuck in a fortress with visitors that suddenly turned hostile, among which are axe/swordmen

Urist9876

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2020, 01:36:51 pm »

This sounds like a known bug 9176.
While the visitors are labeled hostile, they shouldn't take hostile actions until attacked.
It does not always happen when resuming a retired fortress.

Adventurers can and will move around after you retire as adventurer. To prevent this you need to take up a position at the location you want to stay. You could try and join a fortress as member of the militia or guard. This requires that there is space in the fortress (not reached population cap), slots available in the squad and that you have a great reputation. Joining as entertainer might be easier.

Adventurers that are of the same civilization as your fortress have a decent chance to show anyway. They come with migrant waves or petition for citizenship. With companions I have had less luck. These somehow often disappear until I resume adventurer mode. By quitting adventure mode and restarting it, you can add your companions to your party. This gives control over them so you can make them join a fortress.

Another method of adding entities to your fortress is assigning an adventurer as captain. Upon returning in adventurer mode you can assign whoever you like to your squad.

GOTOTOTOE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2020, 02:10:15 pm »

Make a backup first.

When resuming a retired fortress I had often the same issue: many dwarves moved out. However they were in military squads and most eventually returned. It took almost a year for most to return.
last time i brought all the cool people back with unretire-anyone in the adventure menu, how would i find an alternative to that while having booted up fortress mode?

GOTOTOTOE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2020, 04:03:53 pm »

This sounds like a known bug 9176.
While the visitors are labeled hostile, they shouldn't take hostile actions until attacked.
It does not always happen when resuming a retired fortress.

Adventurers can and will move around after you retire as adventurer. To prevent this you need to take up a position at the location you want to stay. You could try and join a fortress as member of the militia or guard. This requires that there is space in the fortress (not reached population cap), slots available in the squad and that you have a great reputation. Joining as entertainer might be easier.

Adventurers that are of the same civilization as your fortress have a decent chance to show anyway. They come with migrant waves or petition for citizenship. With companions I have had less luck. These somehow often disappear until I resume adventurer mode. By quitting adventure mode and restarting it, you can add your companions to your party. This gives control over them so you can make them join a fortress.

Another method of adding entities to your fortress is assigning an adventurer as captain. Upon returning in adventurer mode you can assign whoever you like to your squad.
this is all fine and good but my fortress still does not have the amount of manpower needed to operate the fortress and make it through the year