Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cave spider silk web floating in mid-air in caverns. Advise?  (Read 1044 times)

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I cut down the trees and I am channeling some rocks out of caverns. Mostly to make them more roomy, then getting tetrahydrite. I noticed something funny. Totally not affecting the game (I hope). Cave spider silk web are floating in mid-air in caverns. I know this is the same bug in Dwarf Fortress, as with the birds resting in mid-air in Adventure Mode. However did you ever see it in caverns? Did it have any consequences for you for leaving it there? Like endless spawns of cave spider vermin? What are effects of just leaving cave spider sil web just floating in air? In Adventure Mode lying in mid-air birds were invulnerable to bolts, arrows, spears and stones.

Just curious.

PS. There are in the same cave mid-air unattached to anything useless downward slopes. Should I remove them? They have no upward counterparts, so how do I even remove them? What are consequences for just leaving these useless downward slopes there high in mid-air? Is it ok to just leave them there?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 10:08:25 am by Sarmatian123 »

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
Re: Cave spider silk web floating in mid-air in caverns. Advise?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2020, 10:10:38 am »

They are very common. They do not appear to cause problems or lag. They probably cannot be removed without flooring over the tile or applying fire
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2020, 11:31:14 am »

So, if there is a largest embark with huge 3 caverns with literally 100k spider webs, then game will crawl to stop? OMG! Lag death OMG! So I need floor those webs. I can ignore the useless upward slopes though? I do not think they are counted by the game like construction blocks, or are they.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2020, 12:46:04 pm »

I heavily cut cavern trees in my last fort, and didn't notice any lag spikes from cutting those trees. Webs on the floor, or webs in the air.... probably the same lag from each, but maybe less from the floating webs because they are unpath-able. Is the lag from a single spider web measurable? Should it be? The idea of taking a huge embark and deciding to clean up the caverns is hilarious.... why are those dwarfs cleaning that crundle blood 400 tiles away from the closest booze?

For the downward ramps, see this mantisqb. No one commented about needing to remove those downward ramp "shadows".

Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2020, 12:53:56 pm »

I believe the ramps are remains of cut cavern trees, and that they have no effect on the game.

Webs will affect the FPS eventually when their number grows into 100000 or so. Back when I was able to run fortresses for decades without crashing (0.40.24) I used a script to delete all webs on the embark once every decade or so, gaining back a couple of frames (which is noticeable when you're down to 15-20).

The flying webs are insignificant compared to the ground based webs, when more or less all of the first cavern is covered by webs after 20-30 years. Running a maximum size embark is simply stupid if you want to have an anywhere decent FPS until PC performance makes a quantum leap (and quantum computers won't help one bit: this is not the narrow range of NP complete problems within which they would be fantastic).

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2020, 05:41:28 pm »

Nice catch with flooring webs 10 levels above floor. I will be walling those spider webs, so no Dwarf will be deconstructing it later on, when standing on top and then falling to his death. I will need load one month older save to catch those webs. Someone was mentioning on forums once about importance of cleaning and walling off caves. Now I understand why. The vermin spiders' webs.

Should I channel and smooth cave's sandy floor too?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 05:43:48 pm by Sarmatian123 »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2020, 05:51:22 pm »

You can't get rid of the cave spiders, and they'll place their webs on bare rock as well. Channeling would help with trees, though.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2020, 10:52:06 pm »

It means they've learned how to fly. Run.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2020, 05:10:30 pm »

Thanks for info!
I had to go two saves back to cover the webs. I think later on I could try building bridge to clean stuff in air. Floors are too dangerous. Dwarves almost always will try to stand on them.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2020, 06:10:44 pm »

Floors are too dangerous. Dwarves almost always will try to stand on them.
Do you mean that they deconstruct them again in a bad order and fall? I think that's been solved (so long as you don't force it by deliberately bad decisions) and they shouldn't even let the flooring material fall any more.

Don't designate all now unnecessary floor-walkway/gantry tiles for deconstruction at the same time. Choose just a far end one, wait for it to be deconstructed (and the material recovered to be carried off the tile it was deconstructed on) before asking for the next tile(s) to be deconstructed. - It needs paying attention to. I tend to set up the Hotkey Zoom-to spot in a location such work is being done, to quickly snap to places needing checking, then hotkey 'back' to a more permanent point, like a workshop hub, nearest where I just departed, when I'm happy I've done any new fiddling with things there. But that's just me.

If I have the wrong idea, ignore me.