Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Monarch Atom Smashed  (Read 3216 times)

Giant

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Monarch Atom Smashed
« on: April 28, 2020, 04:06:29 pm »

Due to an unfortunate encounter with a werewolf, I had to Atom Smashtm my King in his own castle's dungeon.

My question is, how does the game handle Atom Smashing? Is he considered dead, ergo will a new monarch be chosen promptly or will the realm enter an indeterminate interregnum?

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
Re: Monarch Atom Smashed
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2020, 04:24:28 pm »

He's very dead indeed. History will remember him as having been "crushed to death by a drawbridge".
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Deus Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2020, 08:07:01 am »

At least they have a reason now.
I don't remember if it was a bug with DF or my particular install, but I'd pretty sure I remember a game where atom-smashing someone not only erased them from existence, but memories of them. Dorfs would feel bad and not quite know why.
Quote from: KillerClowns
Beneath the slade, there is sheep. By all that his holy, there are so many sheep down there. I don't know why it's sheep.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2020, 09:34:33 am »

I don't remember if it was a bug with DF or my particular install, but I'd pretty sure I remember a game where atom-smashing someone not only erased them from existence, but memories of them. Dorfs would feel bad and not quite know why.
I just checked version 0.21.93.19a (the very first DF release), and "crushed by a drawbridge" appeared in the string dump - whatever you're remembering probably didn't actually happen.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2020, 10:37:56 am »

I just checked version 0.21.93.19a (the very first DF release), and "crushed by a drawbridge" appeared in the string dump - whatever you're remembering probably didn't actually happen.

I don't mean to contradict anybody but i've smashed plenty of invaders, citizens, intelligent cavern critters etc from a easy setup and never seen a single related negative thought within the recent 47 versions all the way to the long waiting period of 44 by people they are close to. Im inclined to believe more weight behind the theory if a death reason isn't given it doesn't exist in a dwarf's mind because the game is funny about things like that and it just seems more probable that it fell through the net.

All the slabs written up for crushed invaders and other beings return as going missing, therefore you can crush people without retribution even if someone is around to report it and recieve a relative slap on the wrist for 'missing', when in reality i imagine all those goblins ought to be furious you destroyed their troops without even fighting them.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2020, 08:20:33 pm »

I don't mean to contradict anybody but i've smashed plenty of invaders, citizens, intelligent cavern critters etc from a easy setup and never seen a single related negative thought within the recent 47 versions all the way to the long waiting period of 44 by people they are close to. Im inclined to believe more weight behind the theory if a death reason isn't given it doesn't exist in a dwarf's mind because the game is funny about things like that and it just seems more probable that it fell through the net.

All the slabs written up for crushed invaders and other beings return as going missing, therefore you can crush people without retribution even if someone is around to report it and recieve a relative slap on the wrist for 'missing', when in reality i imagine all those goblins ought to be furious you destroyed their troops without even fighting them.
History, Legends Mode, remembers them as "crushed by a drawbridge". The world knows they existed and knows they died. Often the slabs do too.

Deus Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2020, 09:09:12 pm »

IIRC it was a short-lived bug a long time back but after the initial release (around the time of carp adjustments maybe?). Or it could have been my fumbling getting graphics or an update on an old fort installed.
Or it could be my brain corrupting across a long time and many drinks. Honestly either way wouldn't surprise me.
Quote from: KillerClowns
Beneath the slade, there is sheep. By all that his holy, there are so many sheep down there. I don't know why it's sheep.

HMD Majesty

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes dwarfs for their stupidity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2020, 12:28:10 am »

Ah, but the Bodies have not yet been found.  Without a Body, they will never be able to prove the Deaths have happened, at least in 44.12.

Presumably, Legends Mode uses a different method of determining death.

Laterigrade

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that a crab with
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2020, 12:48:17 am »

The King has been atom-smashed! Long may he smash atoms!
and the quadriplegic toothless vampire killed me effortlessly after that
bool IsARealBoy = false
dropping clothes to pick up armor and then dropping armor to pick up clothes like some sort of cyclical forever-striptease
if a year passes, add one to age; social experiment

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2020, 03:44:49 am »

This is because bad thoughts about death only occur when someone sees the body, and atom-smashing removes the body from existence.  They are still dead and history knows it, but no actual in-game units know it.  The logical absurdity of this is just DF being DF.

A monarch will be chosen promptly, as atom-smashing does not interfere with the normal exchange of kingons.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2020, 09:05:11 pm »

This is because bad thoughts about death only occur when someone sees the body, and atom-smashing removes the body from existence.  They are still dead and history knows it, but no actual in-game units know it.
At least until their ghost rises and starts haunting the fortress, which serves as pretty conclusive evidence that said dwarf is, in fact, dead.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

HMD Majesty

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes dwarfs for their stupidity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2020, 01:23:52 pm »

This is because bad thoughts about death only occur when someone sees the body, and atom-smashing removes the body from existence.  They are still dead and history knows it, but no actual in-game units know it.
At least until their ghost rises and starts haunting the fortress, which serves as pretty conclusive evidence that said dwarf is, in fact, dead.

We have found Slabs to be remarkably helpful for preventing this.  For some reason, Slabs engraved for the Missing still prevent Ghosts.

Hum.  Next Time We have a Slab engraved for a missing Person , We should take a Look at it.  It might show the Cause of Death.

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Plan for the Worst. Hope for the Best. Have Fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2020, 09:43:13 am »

Ahh good ol' dark souls
One of the dwarfs walked in front of Thor to get a better view of the prye, and Thor kicked him irritably into the middle of the flames, which made Thor feel slightly better and made all the dwarfs feel much worse.

Cloth Armor Mod http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158967.msg7063531#msg7063531

Laterigrade

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that a crab with
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2021, 04:36:45 am »

He's very dead indeed. History will remember him as having been "crushed to death by a drawbridge".
If, y’know, it remembers him at all.
and the quadriplegic toothless vampire killed me effortlessly after that
bool IsARealBoy = false
dropping clothes to pick up armor and then dropping armor to pick up clothes like some sort of cyclical forever-striptease
if a year passes, add one to age; social experiment