Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to stop dwarves from wandering into caverns?  (Read 4891 times)

Bozdogan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to stop dwarves from wandering into caverns?
« on: April 18, 2020, 05:30:54 pm »

As title goes, is there a way to forbid them from going outside

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to stop dwarves from wandering into caverns?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2020, 05:41:09 pm »

There are two ways:
- Set up a burrow that covers everything but the cavern. Then activate a civilian alert on that burrow when opening the cavern. I have one such burrow for each cavern and one for the surface.
- Forbid everything in the cavern so they don't have any reason to go there.

You typically need to do both, as opening a cavern will lead to cancellation spam about the inability to haul those VERY IMPORTANT decades old crundle remains, causing your haulers to stand drooling with glazed eyes rather than actually do some hauling. You also get new junk appearing in the caverns, and unless you disable auto loom your weavers will collect webs there (and new webs spawn all the time).

If you want to keep the caverns open you'll have to go through the pain of using regular burrows and manually assign and deassign dorfs as they are actually needed to work in the "forbidden" area.

DrCyano

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2020, 03:22:13 am »

As title goes, is there a way to forbid them from going outside

First, go to 'o' orders and turn-off automatic web collection.

Second, cover your fortress in a burrow and set it as an alert burrow in the 'm'->'a' military screen (I usually name the alert "shelter inside") so you can tell your Dorfs to back run into the fortress.

Finally, control access to the cavern via doors, which you lock whenever you don't want them in the cavern.

I'd only assign citizens to burrows as a last resort, as it generates a lot of job-cancellation spam.

A mad scientist necromancer, a peasant with a dream, a secret message inscribed on a gem, a giant bridge.
Come witness the Saga of the Puzzling Sea!
A documented Dwarf Fortress v0.47.xx game combining Fort Mode and Adventure Mode.

Bozdogan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2020, 05:28:03 am »

thanks guys, i read the wiki on schedules and orders and all, i think im just gonna order a squad to patrol cave routes, dont wanna deal with cancellation spam

edit: nevermind, im gonna use the civ barrows, seeing the constant intrusion of enemies its too costly to guard the caverns, next time on worldgen im gonna make caves a lot more open
« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 06:28:42 am by Bozdogan »

Broms

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2020, 07:37:17 am »

It is always an option as well to wall off portions of the caverns, if there is cave moss then you'll have a safe pasture for your grass eating animals too!

Bozdogan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2020, 07:44:50 am »

i think im gonna flatten a large area and then wall it off completely

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2020, 07:51:57 am »

It's actually possible to wall off caverns relatively safely once you've mapped them fully (so you can see what's there) if you're prepared to wait until the local wildlife group is of a benign type and then withdraw (using a civ alert) when a large group start to file out (if you want to play it safe), or when a dangerous group enters. There's always the risk of FBs of course. Just be prepared to wait for months for suitable opportunities, and be prepared to switch between working on different caverns as opportunities are opened and closed.
I usually send in a mapping squad when it looks like there's benign wildlife about, based on the small portion revealed. Also, airlocks that allow you to seal yourself off from the caverns (optionally with traps to deal with wildlife trying to get into the fortress, and measures to dispose of FBs when needed) is highly recommended.

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2020, 06:40:04 am »

Wall off!
Do not forget corners. Vertical too. Corners will get you.

Dishmab

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2020, 01:28:06 pm »

turn off hunting and spinning silk labors.

Shizmoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2020, 02:36:09 pm »

Doesnt stop wanderers, but i have an entrance only to the caverns through my military training grounds so whatever comes up doesnt kill civilians and pets.

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2020, 04:20:19 pm »

Before unpausing a game, configure the game to autoforbid all death/dropped items, disable non-zone fishing, disable auto web collection. etc.

This is the same basic sanity settings for keeping them from wandering the surface, as well. Forbid everything by default, then unforbid specific things that you want that are outside the fortress.