Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bins arent being used  (Read 1010 times)

Bozdogan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Bins arent being used
« on: April 18, 2020, 08:22:01 am »

As title goes, my bins are just being stocked in furniture stockpiles and not being used, how can i fix that?

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
Re: Bins arent being used
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2020, 08:59:51 am »

Are your other stockpiles set to use bins? Look at them with 'q' and check what "Max Bins" is set to.

Also, dwarves seem to like to fill up stockpiles with items before they start putting those items in bins/barrels.
Thob Goes to the Surface (Adventure Mode story, in progress)

Bozdogan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2020, 09:31:13 am »

they are at max bins yeah
and the stockpiles are full

Moeteru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2020, 09:45:54 am »

What are you trying to store in them? Only certain types of stockpiles can make use of bins.

Bozdogan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2020, 09:46:28 am »

seed bags, finished goods, bars

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2020, 11:24:17 am »

Only a single container is active in a stockpile at any one time, so at most one "move item from stockpile into bin" job is generated at a time for a stockpile. I suspect this job is of lower priority than the "haul stuff to stockpile" jobs, so you stockpile gets filled, the hauler moves to fill another stockpile, and at some time a hauler moves one item into the active container, another item is brought in to the freed up position, eventually another "move to container" job is generated.

The only container filling job DF is aggressive about is seed-in-bag: I always struggle to get any bags for sand collection, and seeds will eventually take all the bags anyway.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2020, 07:55:09 pm »

Find the name or number of the stockpile (use 'q' or 'k' on the stockpile), then check the 'j'obs menu for jobs associated with that stockpile. If you find any, check those jobs using 'j' again to see what items are involved. If you see any of those jobs involve bins, then the work is getting done, just slowly.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?
     and
If you're going to kill me, I'm allowed to scream.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2020, 08:17:07 pm »

Only a single container is active in a stockpile at any one time, so at most one "move item from stockpile into bin" job is generated at a time for a stockpile. I suspect this job is of lower priority than the "haul stuff to stockpile" jobs, so you stockpile gets filled, the hauler moves to fill another stockpile, and at some time a hauler moves one item into the active container, another item is brought in to the freed up position, eventually another "move to container" job is generated.
When they eventually get around to it, one dwarf picks up everything loose in the stockpile (or as much as possible) and puts it in a bin all in one go. They don't move stuff one at a time.

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2020, 08:47:45 pm »

they are at max bins yeah
and the stockpiles are full

This sounds like a potential blocker – if the 'full' stockpile does not have an empty space it cannot request a new bin.
You could try marking some new stockpiles to see if that gets things moving.

seed bags

Empty bags and bags holding sand or plaster powder can be put into bins. (Although the chance of jobs 'locking' the bins make it debatable whether it's worth doing so.)
Bags holding seeds (or other food items, or dye powders) can be consolidated in food stockpile barrels/pots.

Bozdogan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2020, 07:45:57 am »

When they eventually get around to it, one dwarf picks up everything loose in the stockpile (or as much as possible) and puts it in a bin all in one go. They don't move stuff one at a time.
i think its as written here, eventually they put the things in a bin but takes a long time before they get free time from moving random things to stockpiles

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2020, 10:13:25 am »

Yes. Putting items in containers is low priority, and there is usually only one dwarf doing the work, so it can take months if the fort has few idlers.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?
     and
If you're going to kill me, I'm allowed to scream.