Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Adventure Mode screen update frequency  (Read 571 times)

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
Adventure Mode screen update frequency
« on: April 17, 2020, 08:07:03 pm »

I think it would be better not to have the literal rate at which the screen is update tied to movement speed. It makes simply going anywhere an excessively slow pain, unless you're a vampire or other tireless creature that can sprint constantly. I propose that the screen move at a fixed reasonably fast speed (or perhaps one that can be changed in init.txt) regardless of your adventurer's movement speed. Movement speed would only determine how fast other things happen/how many actions monsters can take relative to your adventurer's movement, like in NetHack.

I get the impression that this might take a while to change without breaking a bunch of other things, though, because it seems to be a low-level feature.

Edit: this wouldn't work; see Ziusundra's post.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 11:49:07 pm by Eschar »

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure Mode screen update frequency
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2020, 11:46:45 pm »

That would make moving take longer. Instead of simulating without displaying, the game would be doing both at the same time. It would have to simulate a bit, switch contexts, draw what happened, switch back, and repeat until the move completed.

If the game had nothing to simulate, a turn would take only the time needed to update your adventurer's position and status and redraw the screen. But there is a whole world to simulate.

Which is why sprinting happens faster - it takes less time to move so there is less to simulate so it takes less time to simulate.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure Mode screen update frequency
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2020, 11:49:16 pm »

I see.