Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Miscellaneous Object User  (Read 2425 times)

madpathmoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Miscellaneous Object User
« on: March 09, 2020, 07:28:10 am »

I'm considering making an adventurer who specializes in fighting with random crap.  I know the skill also is used for shield bashes, which honestly makes it seem even more legit.

The thing is, there's almost too many options.  What makes for a good non-weapon weapon?  I'd love to know the random garbage you guys have found to be surprisingly effective weapons.  Also, what's a good option for an edged non-weapon?  It's easy to find something to beat someone over the head with, but if I want to cut or pierce...  Maybe trap parts?  Could I cut people with a saw blade?  Again, I look to this community's experience with shenanigans for guidance.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
Re: Miscellaneous Object User
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2020, 08:32:23 am »

Trap parts used to be the king of all misc weapons, but nowadays they degrade frighteningly fast. Your serrated disk chainsaw may not last more than 3 large battles. In my experience, humanoids seem to be rather weak to the guts of their own species, as I've had many of ribs shoved through hearts and skulls piercing brains with good strikes with severed guts. The guts of smaller animal men and kobolds seem to have a tendency to be frighteningly lethal with decent skill.

Misc  objects user also brings up the opportunity to hunt down historical artifacts and use them. I found a very heavy lead scepter at one point and went on an ettin braining spree.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2020, 08:37:42 am »

I think there was someone on here who filled a stone coffin with his victims, making the coffin heavier with each one. Eventually it was heavy enough to knock peoples' torsos off, leaving their arms and legs cartoonishly floating in the air for a moment before falling to the ground. No idea if this is still feasable.

Personally, I like the classic chair, though they're more fun to throw at people.

madpathmoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2020, 08:44:20 am »

Oh, it never occurred to me that scepters would be objects, not maces or hammers.  Does their quality actually make them better weapons?

As for guts, those are kind of difficult to acquire, unless you want me to strike people with the sinew of a butchered wolf.  Which is on another level.

I did start with a menacing copper spike, and it has definitely been effective, but I've only used it against wolves so that is hardly a test.  I am thinking of getting this character cursed into a werebeast, and misc. object user seems like a great fit for that.

I think there was someone on here who filled a stone coffin with his victims, making the coffin heavier with each one. Eventually it was heavy enough to knock peoples' torsos off, leaving their arms and legs cartoonishly floating in the air for a moment before falling to the ground. No idea if this is still feasable.

That's still the most metal weapon I've heard of.  I think there was a videogame about that.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2020, 04:00:28 pm »

I don't think it is anymore. I used a barrel full of metal as a weapon and every swing took so many turns that if I didn't hit on the first go, I'd be killed during the next strike.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Vicious_Unicycle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2020, 12:55:10 pm »

While trying to get a follower to actually equip his axe, I inadvertently made him hold a stack of 100 rye beer, which he refused to let go of. When he used it in battle, it worked a bit like a blob titan's "push" attack. Meaning that it either hit with no force at all, or it turned body parts to pulp. It got lodged in someone's chest once, which is a bit of a mind screw.

If you're thinking of using trap components, you could check Legends mode for Artifact trap components. There are usually at least a few of them in a given world. That would help bypass the fragility issue.

Short of that, the best sharp misc. option I can think of would be knapped obsidian. Specifically obsidian, because as far as I know that's the only stone with a sharpness multiplier. Which is, incidentally, one of the highest of any material in the game, second only to adamantine.

madpathmoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2020, 02:44:16 pm »

If you're thinking of using trap components, you could check Legends mode for Artifact trap components. There are usually at least a few of them in a given world. That would help bypass the fragility issue.

Short of that, the best sharp misc. option I can think of would be knapped obsidian. Specifically obsidian, because as far as I know that's the only stone with a sharpness multiplier. Which is, incidentally, one of the highest of any material in the game, second only to adamantine.

Knapped rocks as just a sharp attack is something I need to keep in mind...  For throwing, as well.  Artifact trap components is a really cool idea, but they are basically always in fortresses.  Finding artifacts in general is a pain, but walking around in a big laggy area where I can't see and the map is no help at all is an actual nightmare.  :'(

Vorox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2020, 05:02:17 am »

In my experience coins have been pretty effective. They have a small contact area so the force is concentrated. In melee I've seen them break spines and they are good for throwing too.
Vorox likes gremlins for their tears.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2020, 05:16:27 am »

I often throw coins just for the poetry of it. Never put points into thrower though, so I usually die before I get a good hit with them..

madpathmoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2020, 11:00:45 am »

You know I have been throwing coins for a while; they kind of seem like the best "weapon" for throwing.  I never considered trying to melee someone with a coin though...  That's right up there with killing a man with a doorknob.

Vicious_Unicycle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2020, 12:19:08 pm »

Bolts and arrows are my go-to throwing weapon, though I do make use of coins when it's more convenient. I suppose I just like the piercing damage better. Of course, imo the best throwing weapon is a pick. It's only got one striking surface, so it's got a decent chance of severing limbs and piercing vital organs with every throw.

Come to think of it, do bolts/arrows use the misc. object user skill in melee, or do they use knife user the way crossbows use hammerman and bows use swordsman? If it's the former, then that might be an even better sharp option than sharpened rocks.

Ooh, and what about ballista arrows?! Not that you can find those in adventure mode.

Edit: I bet using a stack of a few thousand coins in melee would actually be pretty effective. It would actually have some mass behind it. The question is whether the game considers a stack of items to have the same surface area as a single item? Based on that thing with the stack of 100 beer getting lodged in someone's upper body, I would have to guess that it does.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 12:28:11 pm by Vicious_Unicycle »

madpathmoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2020, 04:17:20 pm »

I find (with Legendary Archer and Throwing, mind) that coins strike opponents in the spine so often that for 20 copper coins I can paralyze a group of bandits.  They aren't so hot when it comes to actually killing opponents though unless I get insanely lucky and just break someone's skull somehow.  Although coins can open arteries in the neck sometimes too.

Using a bolt in melee sounds like its worth it against some foes...  Probably pretty decent for using while wrestling someone too.

My next question is...  What's more effective?  A stack of 200 copper coins or a leather sack with a stack of 200 coins in it?

Vicious_Unicycle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2020, 12:19:39 pm »

The ol' sock-full-o'-quarters, eh? Hmm... Hard to say for certain since I don't know exactly what the properties of a pouch are. I'm inclined to say that the coins alone would be better. Their main advantage comes from being a hard metal object with a minuscule area of contact. Like a BB gun on steroids. I'm assuming that a leather pouch would have a much higher surface area. I'm also assuming that attacks would only factor in the material properties of leather, ignoring the material of the pouch's contents. And I might be wrong about this, but I believe 200 coins would still have a weight of <1r, making the added mass negligible relative to the mass of the pouch itself.

Funny you should mention about wrestling with bolts; If you grab an archer by the quiver with your hand, you can press 'r' to immediately remove the bolts/arrows from their quiver, even though you don't technically have possession of the quiver itself. And a stack of bolts only counts as a single object. So you can sneak up to an archer, swipe all their ammo, and stab them in the brain with 20-40r of iron concentrated into a tiny point, all before they have time to react.

Needless to say, I've been doing lots of 'research' on goblins lately. Good times!