Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13

Author Topic: Academy of the Young Gods (IC Thread)  (Read 18939 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: Academy of the Young Gods (IC Thread)
« Reply #90 on: March 25, 2020, 01:51:17 am »

Dun delicately rubs her mantle. She's not accustomed to all these mortals being more powerful than gods or the accompanying lack of hierarchy, but inflicting pain to convey detailed information is absolutely something greater powers do to lesser powers. For the moment, at least, she's convinced that this creature is above her.

"O Great Húndàn, your city is grand and your minions cute. Might you explain more of both to me, that I might better scheme to bring more free trade to your realm?"

She makes sure to keep what she hopes is a pleasing thought to the Demigod on the surface of her mind in case he's still reading it: That she's been contemplating making war golems from harvested Dire Orca parts. Using another's creations without permission like that would be an unforgivable sin in her eyes, and is thus a clear sign that she considers the Dire Orca God to be an external threat to be weathered or harassed, not a superior to be appeased or fawned over.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 25, 2020, 01:53:22 am »

Elbakaepsnu Negotiation of Servitude to Duke Azazel:
” Your vassalage to serve the Dragon of Omnipotence shall be rewarded for your support and camaraderie under my mighty banner and forces command!, in exchange for the protection of a god and my army I shall support your endeavors of defending your forts against the two rival nations of this other human kingdom if they try to instill the military support of yours or try to take your supplies or your manpower, as well as finally with my might reacquire the fort of your ex-Queen Mira and your incapable son and allow your future so to even allow your last born child to claim the throne, we will hope that bloodshed will not have to be commuted however the one who takes the initiative will have a decisive lead.

Now for your support, you shall provide your current military forces that you have to join the main army to hopefully siege this remaining fort until they surrender unless they start with peace talks, protect your lands against the civil war, and all other general policing things. As well to allow my 72nd Infantry Division to tap into your population’s criminals, prisoners of war, and other ne’er-do-wells to essentially are conscripted and enlisted into my main bulk of forces.

For a final note vassal Duke, I ask a question for information regarding your wife, such as what was her personality to your Wife, you say she is estranged but what does that mean? As well what are the age groups of these two heirs, are within their child-state where they will lack the ambition towards rulership, or could they even be adults and act as generals on the field? As well as for this civil war, any pertaining information on this kingdom and its civil war would be greatly appreciated as I will eventually even have this nation under my Omnipotence. Such as how many forces do each side wields, what is the general ideology behind each one and the main leader of them, and the one that would be the most easily corruptible to work with us once we handle your regency problem in the future.”

Saga of the Tiger: Elbakaepsnu will utilize an Interaction and Miracle, to energize a beam of draining energy and genetically alters the structure of the 72nd Infantry through his own creed that this will result in him being able to control a larger force as well as combining twisted magic from the Far Realm that corrupts people and their own bodies, giving them a way to procreate their forces but instead of one in the natural a way that many would consider abhorrence for the nature of life, their new will allow them to create parasites off their bodies such as egg, leeches, tadpoles, or even fungus that spores that fit thematically to the mutated infantry, each organism with this boon would have to insert their created spawn into the body of an unconscious or at least incapacitated mortal and other animals, resulting in the mortal to be a host to the parasite and through an excruciating process would eventually turn the host into a new member of the 72nd Infantry that can bestow the trait of this parasitic reproduction into its future “descendants.”, the new host of the creation will have little memories of their past mortal lives except that their new forms and minds can only think of serving the 72nd legion and to “enlist” new members into their forces.

Saga of the Monkey: Elbakaepsnu before this Age ends, utilizes his Corruptor of Realms Boon Miracle to corrupt and create a passive eldritch effect on the Fifth Fort that is owned by Lady Mira. All inhabitants, from soldiers to non-combatant alike and even the Queen and Son, of the area and fort will receive haunting recurring lucid dreams that adapt to each human’s subconscious, their worse nightmare of a creature from a giant spider, snake, or cuttlefish will crawl up to them in their precious dreams in usual space of pure purplish darkness, will stare directly at them the rhetorical and even cryptic question of “Will you join the Glorious One when the time comes?”, and through their own subconscious thinking they will answer the question, and if they reject they will be jumpscared by their nightmare creature for them to resort to waking up, and to only repeat this question for the next night. Those who accept and even say “Yes” to their own sleep demon, will return back to their normal dreaming and will even remember this dream quite vividly. This through a subtle indirect method will increase the support of the humans of this fort to accept Elbakaepsnu when he or his hosts ever arrive.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 25, 2020, 03:17:07 am »

"O Great Húndàn, your city is grand and your minions cute. Might you explain more of both to me, that I might better scheme to bring more free trade to your realm?"

She makes sure to keep what she hopes is a pleasing thought to the Demigod on the surface of her mind in case he's still reading it: That she's been contemplating making war golems from harvested Dire Orca parts. Using another's creations without permission like that would be an unforgivable sin in her eyes, and is thus a clear sign that she considers the Dire Orca God to be an external threat to be weathered or harassed, not a superior to be appeased or fawned over.

Húndàn offers a toothy grin. "The city is my own design, and still under construction. It will receive a name when it is finished. The defenses included in the final build should be enough to repel any single academy student that I am aware of, while also optimizing my work space for arcane endeavors. The Dire Orca cannot dive this deep without divine assistance, and my father would rather pick on weaker, less entrenched foes, so I'm fairly safe here even while construction is in progress. My people have other, older cities as well, but most of our ancient history and architecture has been lost in fairly recent ages due to the raids of my father."

The massive shark then turns his attention toward the question of his 'minions'. "My people are ancient. I did not create or enslave them, but merely had the good fortune of being born into the royal family on my mother's side. The Dire Orca call us 'Glowing Ghosts', the long forgotten empire of the people who now serve you called us 'Abyssal Wizards', and the people of Pai know us as 'Enigma Sharks'. We were not the biggest or strongest of the thinking sharks, but we are the last race of our kind to survive, in part because of our mastery of the arcane. Some of the most talented living mortal magic users call me their King."

He pauses for thought. "As for where my free trade stands now, I'm afraid it is rather limited. I personally trade with several academy gods, but none of them have been brave or creative enough to solve the dire orca problem and have their people trade directly with mine. The High Elves of the great glass city sometimes send a submersible airship full of scholars looking to purchase information, but the High Elves look down on all who are not of their kind, so it is not a dependable relationship. Right now most of our limited trade is with the various tribes of primitive mollusk people who hunt, gather, and tend herd on the abyssal seafloor. We send them useful gizmos, they send us meat, skins, and some raw materials that they gather."

Elbakaepsnu Negotiation of Servitude to Duke Azazel:
” Your vassalage to serve the Dragon of Omnipotence shall be rewarded for your support and camaraderie under my mighty banner and forces command!, in exchange for the protection of a god and my army I shall support your endeavors of defending your forts against the two rival nations of this other human kingdom if they try to instill the military support of yours or try to take your supplies or your manpower, as well as finally with my might reacquire the fort of your ex-Queen Mira and your incapable son and allow your future so to even allow your last born child to claim the throne, we will hope that bloodshed will not have to be commuted however the one who takes the initiative will have a decisive lead.

Now for your support, you shall provide your current military forces that you have to join the main army to hopefully siege this remaining fort until they surrender unless they start with peace talks, protect your lands against the civil war, and all other general policing things. As well to allow my 72nd Infantry Division to tap into your population’s criminals, prisoners of war, and other ne’er-do-wells to essentially are conscripted and enlisted into my main bulk of forces.

For a final note vassal Duke, I ask a question for information regarding your wife, such as what was her personality to your Wife, you say she is estranged but what does that mean? As well what are the age groups of these two heirs, are within their child-state where they will lack the ambition towards rulership, or could they even be adults and act as generals on the field? As well as for this civil war, any pertaining information on this kingdom and its civil war would be greatly appreciated as I will eventually even have this nation under my Omnipotence. Such as how many forces do each side wields, what is the general ideology behind each one and the main leader of them, and the one that would be the most easily corruptible to work with us once we handle your regency problem in the future.”

Duke Azazel hears you out completely before speaking. "You terms are acceptable, my lord, and I will hold my end of the bargain to the best of my ability, but there are a few things that I fear may complicate whatever agenda you have for me. First off, my lands are a sparsely populated frontier. Almost half my population are soldiers and their families sent from elsewhere in the nation specifically to keep the 72nd out. Many of these men might dessert or rebel when they find out they are to align with the White Locusts. The civilian population I do have consists of ranchers, miners, brave souls intent on exploring the wastes, and warlocks of dubious morality who wish to avoid the scrutiny of more civilized places. As people are so spread out, crime is rare, and justice is regional. The people are more likely to group up and kill a criminal than turn them in to rot in my dungeons. As such I cannot promise you will find the amount of ne're-do-wells I can offer you satisfactory."

He frowns a bit when talking about my family. "I would rather have Lady Jasmina herself as my heir, than one of my children by her. She is close kin as well as my concubine, and thus in the line of succession. She is an adult, and still of childbearing age. We have six children together. Three of whom are not yet adults, and one of whom has been married off outside of the family. Neither of the remaining two possible heris dwell on my lands; each is off studying in the more civilized parts of the Kingdom."

"As for my wife" Lord Azazel spits on the floor, "we are estranged because throughout our entire childbearing years, she only gave me one son, whom I'm fairly confident is actually the son of a former family servant. She is bullheaded, and is trying to get involved in the civil war, Supporting the Ironbone Party. It is bad enough that she seized my fort, but I fear her meddling will bring the civil war to my lands. My 'son' by her is likewise involved in the conflict. I believe he is off leading troops somewhere else in the Kingdom."

He pauses for breath. "As for the civil war, the three sons who claim the throne are an infant, dead, and a cripple respectively. Whichever side actually wins will likely squabble amounts itself to try and pick a leader once the war concludes. I'm honestly not entirely sure who is calling the shots for any of the groups; when their diplomats visit they prefer to make demands rather than share information. The three factions are called The Ironbones, the True Crowns, and the True Thrones. The True Crowns support the infant son, and are sponsored by Hitchly, the Goddess of law that the old king worshiped. The True Thrones support the children of the dead son, and are sponsored by Tiāntáng, a frightening god of graveyards and skeletons. The Ironbones support the crippled son, and are supported by Hōngzhàjī, an interloping foreign god made of metal and worshiped by the dwarven kingdom that sits beyond the sea beyond the wastes."

Duke Azazel scratches his head. "I doubt we will know much of any faction's philosophy until they win the war and get their act together politically. Personally, I despise the Ironbones because my wife supports them."

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 25, 2020, 08:03:41 am »

Saga of the Horse

The night drew on, the shadows growing deeper. Qu and Zhèngniàn had wandered the market for some time, master and champion watching and browsing in quiet conversation. The godling went hooded, garbed in similar robes to the monks' own - a perhaps vain attempt to keep his divine nature a secret. Qu found the elven city a place of contrasts; wealth and beauty on one hand, squalor and slavery on the other. The market offered mortal goods from across the Plane, it seemed - goods hauled to and fro by wretched creatures in the chains of the oppressed.

'This is displeasing to me,' he noted to the Master once, as they observed an empty-eyed slave hurry down the street with broom in hand. 'It would be well if the Warriors of Light would end this practice.'

Ending the distasteful institution would have to wait another day, though. One of the strangers at the night market had drawn Qu's eye  - a well traveled airship sailor swaggering through the sea of stalls. The godling gave a nod towards the sailor and led the pair over.

'Greetings. You will tell me of this city, its rulers and gods, and of the trade you carry through the skies.'

That was polite, he thought - mortals had to be handled with a silk glove, that's what his foster mother had said.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 25, 2020, 02:11:24 pm »

"Could you tell me more about the Dire Orca? Would the lesser host you offer in trade be sufficient to dissuade their attacks on caravans? What about hunting them for captives or parts?"

Dun also considers how long caravans from Pai to Húndàn's City would be exposed to Dire Orca attacks, assuming they kept within Pai's protective fleet range where possible and descended too deep for the Dire Orcas as soon as the terrain allowed.
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 25, 2020, 03:43:38 pm »

Saga of the Rat
Not immediately, but some time later, Koaring will wonder if what follows after is some sort of cosmic reflex for his cheekiness toward Professor Yínfà on the topic of sex.
Saga of the Ox
. . .
Saga of the Tiger
Koaring spends the entire saga locked in his room, alternating between bouts of sobbing and anger. He repeatedly castigates himself for the disaster which has befallen; not only did he fail his mission to improve the security of Peanut Village, he objectively added to their trouble! His mental comparisons to the storytime heroes he seeks to emulate and outdo hold no comfort. Many times they must face adversity and even cunning traps, but he cannot recall any saga that begins with such a thorough and humiliating defeat for the main character. This is no campfire tale, however, and he has ceded far too much ground to the wicked hags.

Once the storm of emotions ebbs however, a quieter portion of his character reasserts itself: duty. Koaring may be ruined, but his new mortal followers still hang on. By now the Guildmistress will have spread the news of a new god in their land; they will believe in him. He does not have the knowledge or tools to interact with them from afar, but just the idea of faith puts a little strength back into his heart.

Koaring spends the next few sagas pulling himself back together. Internally he continues to feel raw, fragile, morose, stupid. It will be some time, if ever, before his ebullient personality returns in full, but it is a beginning.

Saga of the Horse – Resource Acquisition Lab

Koaring finds the motion of windsurfing across the lake strangely calming. It is one of the first chances he's had to concentrate on anything simple and physical since his captivity with the Hag. He does his best to pay attention to Court Scholar Chet, dutifully taking notes on whether the algae they find has any mystical properties he might use in the future. He regrets not taking a chance to collect some today, but he feels an overriding imperative to return to Peanut Village and do . . . he'll figure that out sometime.

Much to his surprise, the algae is indeed "cool" and he begins to lose some of his worries as he studies the links in its ecosystem.

He also makes sure to ask Court Scholar Chet if there is a schedule for their trips or at least a hint of what the next Age will bring.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 25, 2020, 05:09:56 pm »

Saga of the Horse

The night drew on, the shadows growing deeper. Qu and Zhèngniàn had wandered the market for some time, master and champion watching and browsing in quiet conversation. The godling went hooded, garbed in similar robes to the monks' own - a perhaps vain attempt to keep his divine nature a secret. Qu found the elven city a place of contrasts; wealth and beauty on one hand, squalor and slavery on the other. The market offered mortal goods from across the Plane, it seemed - goods hauled to and fro by wretched creatures in the chains of the oppressed.

'This is displeasing to me,' he noted to the Master once, as they observed an empty-eyed slave hurry down the street with broom in hand. 'It would be well if the Warriors of Light would end this practice.'

Ending the distasteful institution would have to wait another day, though. One of the strangers at the night market had drawn Qu's eye  - a well traveled airship sailor swaggering through the sea of stalls. The godling gave a nod towards the sailor and led the pair over.

'Greetings. You will tell me of this city, its rulers and gods, and of the trade you carry through the skies.'

That was polite, he thought - mortals had to be handled with a silk glove, that's what his foster mother had said.

Master Zhèngniàn considers his god's request. "I will look into it, my lord, but I do not think my chapter of the Warriors of light is strong enough to correct this injustice by force. These elves are well entrenched, and skilled in the ways of magic. Not yet anyway."

---

The sailor is confused by the friendly godling, not used to seeing outsiders in his city, but feels compelled to answer nonetheless. "This is the Great Glass City, friend! Home to the greatest and most well bred mortals in all of Qiángdà. Our rulers, the council of Ageless Queens, are friend to many gods, and during times of crisis, may even worship some of them."

He grins. "As for trade, typically the routes I run export enchanted glass to the dwarves or the coastal cities, in exchange for coin and baubles to sell at this night market. A few years ago, I even got the honor of importing a load of he-slaves for a local noble who felt his personal stock was becoming too inbred, but those runs are rare and hard to get approved these days. We allow only the best specimens of the lesser races the privilege of even bondage behind these walls. The people who sweep the ground you walk on are largely descended from the kings and queens of inferior species!"

The sailor pauses for thought. "Some of the more adventurous Airship Operators do runs to remote tribes in wild places, to gather rare teas, herbs, and magical knowledge, but yeah. Most of the trade is for baubles. The people here want for very little, and thus tend to purchase and trade for what amuses them."

He grins and offers Qu a hand. "My name is Glenothe, first mate aboard The Soaring Clover! Pleased to make your acquaintance! You two must be people of great importance to be allowed into the city as outsiders!"

"Could you tell me more about the Dire Orca? Would the lesser host you offer in trade be sufficient to dissuade their attacks on caravans? What about hunting them for captives or parts?"

Dun also considers how long caravans from Pai to Húndàn's City would be exposed to Dire Orca attacks, assuming they kept within Pai's protective fleet range where possible and descended too deep for the Dire Orcas as soon as the terrain allowed.

"The Dire Orca keep their base of power and population centered around the Roaring Islands, which is halfway across the realm from this place." Húndàn explains, "they grow terrestrial slaves and livestock upon the islands. Their entire population consists of slave drivers, hunters, and soldiers, and they swim great distances to project their strength anywhere in the oceans of Qiángdà, save for the spots that are too deep or protected by a navy."

"Physically they are quite large," the massive shark continues, "not as large as myself. Perhaps the size of the creature from your memory called a Sperm Whale, if not a bit bigger. The Warrior and hunter castes can sprout muscular arms at will, which they use to wield spears, blades, and harpoons. The Slaver caste can squeeze themselves into the discarded skin of a terrestrial beast, and walk upon the land. They have a caste of sorcerers and priests as well, but those ones rarely stray far from the Roaring Islands, so I have yet to have the chance to study them. I have also heard tell of a spy caste that can go on land, but personally, I think those stories are just about particularly cunning slavers."

Húndàn grins as he notices you are considering trade with him. "If I could make a host capable of fighting off the full strength of an organized Dire Orca raid, I would be in a much better position than I am now. But yes, one of my lesser hosts should discourage the roving small groups of raiders that they send to hunt and harass undefended ships. As long as you don't become complacent, practicing a predictable and profitable trade route, it is unlikely my father's people will send you more than a small host could handle. Trying to hunt them might also trigger a dangerous response."

You consider the logistics of trade, but fail to reach any useful conclusions. You know the distance between Pai and the Shark City, but do not know how large of an area the Navy of Pai covers, nor how fast their merchantmen ships might cover that distance.

Saga of the Horse – Resource Acquisition Lab

Koaring finds the motion of windsurfing across the lake strangely calming. It is one of the first chances he's had to concentrate on anything simple and physical since his captivity with the Hag. He does his best to pay attention to Court Scholar Chet, dutifully taking notes on whether the algae they find has any mystical properties he might use in the future. He regrets not taking a chance to collect some today, but he feels an overriding imperative to return to Peanut Village and do . . . he'll figure that out sometime.

Much to his surprise, the algae is indeed "cool" and he begins to lose some of his worries as he studies the links in its ecosystem.

He also makes sure to ask Court Scholar Chet if there is a schedule for their trips or at least a hint of what the next Age will bring.

Chet talks more about the technique behind windsurface and net trawling than he does the algae itself. You encounter 7-8 species, but Chet only really bothers describing two. The Dolphin headed god calls a bright blue bloom "maiden's tears" and explain mortals use it to brew both love potions and slow acting poisons. He also points out a species of unassuming green algae called "evergrowth" that was supposedly created by an obsessive survivalist god. "You bury that stuff in a field, it will grow vegitables. You plant it in the desert, it will yeild a cactus. Throw it in the ocean, and you get seaweed. There is almost nowhere this plant does not know how to thrive."

When you ask about future trips Chet shrugs. "I'm not planning things out too far in advance... but I'll usually have an idea of what we will do on our next meeting. I'm thinking next age, we will check out The Blissful Glacier! An enchanted place where plants can thrive even in bitter cold. You will will dig it! But on that note, if any of you ever hear of a place you want to hunt for plants or minerals, let me know. No promises, but I could make it happen!"
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 05:11:27 pm by Weirdsound »

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 26, 2020, 12:56:31 am »

The five other students in the room are all huddled together, talking. A couple of them shoot the occasional less-than-friendly glance in your direction. The instructor, a tall pale skinned figure wearing a t-shirt and yoga pants, approaches you. ”So... Like. Oops. I forgot I had one more student coming, and already briefed those guys. They are all in the same class, and taking this course as a group. Like... hopefully you all can get along. I don't want to have to fill out paperwork because some dumb ass is picking on a freshman."

The instructor stops for a moment to blow a bright blue bubble. Apparently she is chewing some sort of gum. It pops, and she pulls the resulting mess back into her mouth."[/color]”So... my name is Bethany. I'm a student in the Divine Politics program here at the academy, and I'm... like... teaching this course to satisfy my Divine Pedagogy requirement. So I got... like... a fuckload of homework to do for my other class, and don't need to spend alot of time grading you guys' stuff. So here is the deal. You... like... show up for class every age, and perform at least one successful interaction here in the Ant Farm, you will pass the class. Do two or three, and I'll probably give you a good grade. Its not like there is a right and wrong way to do interactions, right? No two gods are going to do the exact same things on the mortal realm. This shit is... like... all subjective. You don't have... like... any questions, right?"

”Your distraction and lack of interest towards the teaching material is peculiar Interactions Teacher Bethany, it’s interesting that you note that note that the senior students can instruct freshman classes will that be a requirement moving towards all freshman god students will have to expect thatpp?, second question could you please describe this Ant Farm, and anything of note that is happening in there, this so for you Mam, to allow us students to most beneficially utilize our interactions in the future, it doesn’t matter if they are successful or note, and if we were to actually spend effort on our interaction and do something amazing there or “whatever”, would you grade us even more beneficially? Other questions could be personal, like are you trying to become some god of Life, Light, Compassion, etc and trying to join some Pantheon?, it just seems I was expecting a core class for freshman God to be more... inviting, is the word I am looking for. Almost missed my last question, if were to say spend an Interaction and Miracle action be considered in the Ant Farm as doing progress there?, now I understand we are in an interaction class, but those actions still utilize an interaction it just has a supernatural benefit to it.

The instructor speaks again briefly at the end of the class session. Next age will will start our unit on single combat. I think we will begin with some live demonstrations. One tenth a point of extra credit to any of you brave enough to bring one of your mortal belongings for some pit fights next age! I'll bring academy healers to undo any permanent maiming or death that may occur."

”You make a fine teacher, Professor Núlì that any freshman god would be worthy of being taught by, however I have a few questions that I’d like to direct myself towards your syllabus of the coarse. How will our grading be analyzed, it will require us to be continuously presence yes, but will testing our combat prowess and the belongings we command as well as determining the success of mock battles against our team mates be finally graded to see if we pass or ace?, as well I have heroes and monsters that I desire to bring into the fight for the next age, however will this take an Interaction of my time to commit this success, or if I post this person in the Register of Listed Things, will it be able to come to this pit fight without me spending my time to put them there?

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 26, 2020, 02:42:57 am »

In case Shadowclaw didn't make it clear, you all are now free to run multiple RPs with me at once. Also, the noteworthy NPCs you met this turn are added to the Unlisted Things document. Be sure to add them to the listed things document if you would like your classmates to know about them in character.

”Your distraction and lack of interest towards the teaching material is peculiar Interactions Teacher Bethany, it’s interesting that you note that note that the senior students can instruct freshman classes will that be a requirement moving towards all freshman god students will have to expect thatpp?, second question could you please describe this Ant Farm, and anything of note that is happening in there, this so for you Mam, to allow us students to most beneficially utilize our interactions in the future, it doesn’t matter if they are successful or note, and if we were to actually spend effort on our interaction and do something amazing there or “whatever”, would you grade us even more beneficially? Other questions could be personal, like are you trying to become some god of Life, Light, Compassion, etc and trying to join some Pantheon?, it just seems I was expecting a core class for freshman God to be more... inviting, is the word I am looking for. Almost missed my last question, if were to say spend an Interaction and Miracle action be considered in the Ant Farm as doing progress there?, now I understand we are in an interaction class, but those actions still utilize an interaction it just has a supernatural benefit to it.

Bethany can't help but grin when she hears Elba speak. The Godling cannot quite tell if she is being friendly or condescending. "You hail from one of those... like... strange eldrich realms, don't you? That's kinda cool. Not all students have to teach a class, no. Just Divine Politics students. They will tell you more about graduation requirements... like... when it comes time for your class to pick their majors."

She glances around the Ant Farm. "Technically this is a place in which a species of giant ants, now extinct on the mortal parts of this realm, can be studied. In reality, its just a cool place to mess around. The queen ant is burried deep beneath this room. So long as she isn't disturbed, she will provide an endless supply of mortals for us to... like... mess around with. The ants also... like... patch up any damage we do to the environment here. As long as the queen remains unharmed, nothing you do or fail to do here will be of any... like... real consequences. I would... like... prefer your interactions here to be successful, but in terms of grading, whatever."

The Goddess blows and pops another bubble as she considers your personal question. "Heh... Goddess of light and compassion? I'm... like... flattered you think I could pull that off. No. My goals are not that lofty. I'm married, you see, to a much more powerful diety. But I cannot stand him, and he cannot stand me, so I was sent here to 'study' so... like... I would be out of his hair. Frankly I'm trying to delay my graduation and return home for as long as possible, but I think the administration is getting wise to me. They are more or less forcing me to knock out some required courses this term, including my teaching credit, so I hope you can find it in you to forgive me if I don't... like... always seem thrilled to be here. I'll... like... try my best to be welcoming for you though."

Bethany again offers her student a bubbly smile. "Mixing miracles in is fine by me!"

”You make a fine teacher, Professor Núlì that any freshman god would be worthy of being taught by, however I have a few questions that I’d like to direct myself towards your syllabus of the coarse. How will our grading be analyzed, it will require us to be continuously presence yes, but will testing our combat prowess and the belongings we command as well as determining the success of mock battles against our team mates be finally graded to see if we pass or ace?, as well I have heroes and monsters that I desire to bring into the fight for the next age, however will this take an Interaction of my time to commit this success, or if I post this person in the Register of Listed Things, will it be able to come to this pit fight without me spending my time to put them there?

"You will be given one assignment for each unit of study we cover. I'm still working out the details of what those assignments well be. I might test individual combat prowess, but I do not think it would be fair to assign a grade based largely on command over mortal possessions. Some of you will inevitably have better mortals to command than others."

The Divine Dragoness pauses for thought. "You will have to use an interaction to fetch your mortal, of course, but spending said interaction should have its benefits aside from the extra credit you will receive for doing so. It will be an opportunity to talk to your mortal for one. The mortal might also benefit from sparring against and networking with other mortal fighters. It might also better know its place when presented with the full divine glory of the Academy. Is that a satisfactory answer Elbakaepsnu?"

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 26, 2020, 12:20:26 pm »

Saga of the Horse

'No,' Qu says to the question of their importance. He doesn't elaborate. He stares at the offered hand, then gives it a stiff two-handed shake. 'Tell me, how would I hire your services? Many airships, perhaps. They would need to ascend to the mountains.'

'Who are these friends of the Queens, these gods?' he asked. As an afterthought, he added: 'Is there a deity you worship? A god of sky sailors?'

As he gazed upon the city around them, visions of it being razed to the ground played out in his mind. Glass walls shattered, fine palaces came crumbling down, slaves slew their masters, and the blood of the wicked ran in the streets... He blinked, trying to shake off such thoughts. They pleased him far too much for comfort.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 26, 2020, 01:45:35 pm »

Saga of the Horse

Koaring finds it difficult at first to trawl for specimens while managing the wind board, until he switches to his dual right arms for casting the net. Even then it is a new activity for him and he slips more than once. His swan mother's heritage allows him to recover easily in the water, of course. He slightly envies the eight-armed classmate's ease of manipulation. In other circumstances, perhaps, he would have made an effort to engage her in chatting, but the events of this Age have left him disinclined toward small talk.

He busies himself with discoveries instead. The "maiden's tears" sounds more useful for mortals than gods, and he doubts the hags are susceptible to its poison. He doesn't know for sure, though, one more reminder of his failure to learn more about their weaknesses. "Evergrowth" on the other hands is fascinating. He extends his divine senses and although he might not catch the whole secret of its creation he can observe the similarities between it and each of the other species in the water: a telltale wave in the blade here, a notably oblong air bladder there, the evergrowth borrows a little bit from everything around it. Koaring wonders what would happen if it was placed in a truly sterile environment without other plant life to copy, but that is not an experiment he can try in the middle of the lake. In some small part he is pleased to discover that even though his pride as a warrior may be shattered, his inclination with plants (and algae) is undiminished.

Given what he has seen of the dolphin-headed god's personality so far, he is not surprised to learn that his future plans are not focused far in advance. It is a mindset that Koaring can appreciate. He wonders how a freshman is supposed to know of any interesting places in the plane to recommend. He certainly isn't going to suggest the corrupted forest, the only location with which he has any familiarity.

Saga of the Goat - Divine Miracles class

Koaring remains uncharacteristically quiet throughout the introductory class. (Though who knows whether the room full of relative strangers will detect the difference?) Professor Yínfà frightens him somewhat; he imagines the powerful goddess judging his behavior and finding him lacking. Although he has not strictly speaking broken any Academy rules, or least not any conveyed to him, he nevertheless holds himself at fault for conceiving a daughter upon the evil hag so soon after being pointedly discouraged against it.

The pair of senior students cause him almost as much discomfort. In his raw and nervous state it is difficult for him to disentangle exactly why: the laws protecting freshman should be practically inviolable with such a powerful teacher and class advisor keeping watch. All the same, the presence of total strangers given access to the safest place he knows cannot improve his mood.

Reviewing his notes in the twilight of the Saga, Koaring notes the three assignments to carry out. At least reporting on a failure will be no problem, he thinks grimly to himself. He is at such a disadvantage against the hags of the corrupt forest that he is sure to botch whatever he tries.

After class he approaches his classmates Qu and Dun: "I . . . I do not trust those seniors. I can't see how they would get around the restrictions placed on them, but my gut feeling is that they would act to our disadvantage if they could."

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 26, 2020, 02:10:46 pm »

Saga of the Horse

'No,' Qu says to the question of their importance. He doesn't elaborate. He stares at the offered hand, then gives it a stiff two-handed shake. 'Tell me, how would I hire your services? Many airships, perhaps. They would need to ascend to the mountains.'

'Who are these friends of the Queens, these gods?' he asked. As an afterthought, he added: 'Is there a deity you worship? A god of sky sailors?'

As he gazed upon the city around them, visions of it being razed to the ground played out in his mind. Glass walls shattered, fine palaces came crumbling down, slaves slew their masters, and the blood of the wicked ran in the streets... He blinked, trying to shake off such thoughts. They pleased him far too much for comfort.

Glenothe considers the question. "My ship, and indeed most airships here, are contracted to work exclusively for a single Lord or Corporation. If you want to hire airships, you need to talk to the local gentry! If you need alot of airships working in coordination, your best bet would be to seek an audience with one of the Ageless Queens; As individuals, they control more private ships than anyone else, and as a group they command city's official public fleet."

He then folds his fingers together in thought. "You could also try to purchase a ship of your own. This entire city is converted to a mighty shipyard each age from The Saga of the Tiger to the Saga of the Rabbit! So if you can afford such a miraculous device, that would be the time and place to acquire one."

The sailor considers the question of gods. "From what I gather, all the gods of this world serve the same master, and that master likes Airships. Every few ages, it seems, the queens will publicly parade some god around the city, for whom they have promised one or more top of the line airships in exchange for future favors and public displays of friendship. Only the queens know the true details of these dieties however. They say that our people are the greatest race of mortals to ever exist... We may not be equals of the gods, but are close enough that we only owe them respect and friendship, not worship."

He frowns. "Between you and me, though, I'm not sure I believe it. I've seen much of the world, and plenty of impressive people. My city is great, and my species is wise and powerful, but I'm not entirely sure we are that much better than anyone else. Lots of seasoned sailors from the Great Glass City worship a deity called Bethany who is the patron of the fair skinned elves who dwell in the distant city of Pai. Her temples are in a place we visit with some frequency, and her religious practices encourage infidelity and excess drinking, so sailors lover her. Of course I could never admit to partaking in that faith myself. Worship of the divine, except in times of emergency, is actually prohibited here."

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 26, 2020, 04:35:59 pm »

After class he approaches his classmates Qu and Dun: "I . . . I do not trust those seniors. I can't see how they would get around the restrictions placed on them, but my gut feeling is that they would act to our disadvantage if they could."
"They appear to be scheming," Dun agrees placidly, "But they are likely far stronger than us and in close coordination. Our options for resisting or appeasing their depredations would be limited."

Dun gestures towards the nearby blank rooms. "As for what they intend, building space is one obvious conclusion. There was no explicit mention of refusing to utilize rooms adjacent to us, and advanced entities could do much, malicious or otherwise, with malleable space to work with."

---

Húndàn grins as he notices you are considering trade with him. "If I could make a host capable of fighting off the full strength of an organized Dire Orca raid, I would be in a much better position than I am now. But yes, one of my lesser hosts should discourage the roving small groups of raiders that they send to hunt and harass undefended ships. As long as you don't become complacent, practicing a predictable and profitable trade route, it is unlikely my father's people will send you more than a small host could handle. Trying to hunt them might also trigger a dangerous response."
"I see. It is quite likely that I will accept your offer and have my toys begin trading with yours within a few Ages. I will also, of course, mention your presence to my immediate peers, and look into extending my possessions' economic reach into the goods of Pai."

"Do you have any preferred gifts, and could you tell me more about your people's lineage? I may have another proposal in mind at a later date."

---

Jiāpu then gestures back to Chet. "As long as you are part of my course, this court scholar will be at your disposal. If you request his aid an age in advance, he can help you round up interesting mortals, provide divine assistant to otherwise incompatible mortal pairings, or provide any other service related to eugenics or your class assignments. Are there any questions for me or requests of Chet? If not, class dismissed. Nobody likes a lecture on the first day."
Drawing on her knowledge of reeducation etiquette, Dun calls out the warden's title in a respectful tone before asking her question. "High Archivist Jiāpu? How does Court Scholar Chet's availability for eugenics interact with his inability to encourage reproductive behavior among students?"

---

The two seniors grin, and exchange whispers between themselves as Professor Yínfà continues. "This class covers miracles. The capacity to perform miracles, in my humble opinion, is one of the main factors that separates the mortal being from the divine being. Most of us can perform miracles naturally and with little difficulty, and as a result, few of us give miracles a second thought. We don't often stop to think, 'what are miracles?' 'Why do we perform them?' 'Why can we perform them?' or 'how can I improve in performing them.' In my experience, when given a choice in the matter, most students prefer to ponder that last question over the other three. On that note, this class will be as hands on and practical as you all allow it to be. If you come to me with specific questions about miracles, or even miracles that you want help in performing, we can explore those things as a group. If you would all instead rather be quiet and listen, I have plenty of lectures on divine theory prepared.
"Professor Yínfà, what are the advantages of each approach? Does divine theory have any practical applications or is it purely academic?"

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 26, 2020, 04:57:54 pm »

Saga of the Goat

Qu blinks at the other godling's words. He tries to moderate his voice to a level more suitable for such shady talk. 'They have not... done anything. Are you feeling well, cousin Koaring?' he asks, then gives the seniors a longer look. 'If you are truly concerned, perhaps we might agree to come to one another's aid should they trouble one of us?'

Saga of the Horse
The sailor considers the question of gods. "From what I gather, all the gods of this world serve the same master, and that master likes Airships. Every few ages, it seems, the queens will publicly parade some god around the city, for whom they have promised one or more top of the line airships in exchange for future favors and public displays of friendship. Only the queens know the true details of these dieties however. They say that our people are the greatest race of mortals to ever exist... We may not be equals of the gods, but are close enough that we only owe them respect and friendship, not worship."

He frowns. "Between you and me, though, I'm not sure I believe it. I've seen much of the world, and plenty of impressive people. My city is great, and my species is wise and powerful, but I'm not entirely sure we are that much better than anyone else. Lots of seasoned sailors from the Great Glass City worship a deity called Bethany who is the patron of the fair skinned elves who dwell in the distant city of Pai. Her temples are in a place we visit with some frequency, and her religious practices encourage infidelity and excess drinking, so sailors lover her. Of course I could never admit to partaking in that faith myself. Worship of the divine, except in times of emergency, is actually prohibited here."

'Prohibited?' Qu asks, wide-eyed. 'But then mortals cannot worship their gods. That is very strange. Is friendship better than worship? I do not understand. Is it a very different thing? Who will protect this city if a god attacks it?'

He shakes his head. Too many questions is impolite, so said his foster mother. 'My apologies. This is a strange place to me,' he says. 'I hope I do not give offence. I am sure you are... very great. Truly mighty. It is only that I have never known a mortal race to stand up to the power of the divine.'

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 26, 2020, 05:24:41 pm »

"I see. It is quite likely that I will accept your offer and have my toys begin trading with yours within a few Ages. I will also, of course, mention your presence to my immediate peers, and look into extending my possessions' economic reach into the goods of Pai."

"Do you have any preferred gifts, and could you tell me more about your people's lineage? I may have another proposal in mind at a later date."

The shark offers a content grin. "Honestly, all the way down here, any materials from the surface are valued. Given the trades I practice, however, I would particularly value anything magical in nature, or fit to be crafted into arms or armor for a host of mortals."

Húndàn's smile evaporates into a wistful stare into nothing when the linage of his people is mentioned. "The fossil record shows that my people have existed for at least 800 terms, but our recorded history only goes back about 300. Whatever civilization we had before then was destroyed by either an earthquake or the wrath of a deity. We had a handful of super ancient texts that predated the catastrophe on record, but they were all lost to dire orca attacks shortly before I came to power. If I had to guess, it is likely we were created by some long graduated student of the Academy. Fish Species rarely become as smart or as magically proficient as mine through the forces of evolution alone."

Drawing on her knowledge of reeducation etiquette, Dun calls out the warden's title in a respectful tone before asking her question. "High Archivist Jiāpu? How does Court Scholar Chet's availability for eugenics interact with his inability to encourage reproductive behavior among students?"

"This course is focused on breeding mortals with other mortals, so you will not be encouraged to personally provide genetic material as part of the breeding process." Jiāpu explains, "So, no, Chet is not permitted to help you with matters of your own sex and family life. Divine Eugenics is a bit more complicated and a bit less predictable than what I cover here, but should you pass my course, you will be qualified to take Genesis III: Demigod Husbandry if you so choose next term. At that point, you would be encouraged to fully and personally partake in mortal bloodlines as you see fit."

"Professor Yínfà, what are the advantages of each approach? Does divine theory have any practical applications or is it purely academic?"

"Some students are good at putting theoretical lessons into practice. In my experience, however, the practical approach is better for most students." The professor pats Dun on the shoulder, "if you feel that you would prefer more theoretical lectures than I am providing, let me know, and I will try to adjust my lesson plans accordingly."

'Prohibited?' Qu asks, wide-eyed. 'But then mortals cannot worship their gods. That is very strange. Is friendship better than worship? I do not understand. Is it a very different thing? Who will protect this city if a god attacks it?'

He shakes his head. Too many questions is impolite, so said his foster mother. 'My apologies. This is a strange place to me,' he says. 'I hope I do not give offence. I am sure you are... very great. Truly mighty. It is only that I have never known a mortal race to stand up to the power of the divine.'

Glenothe can only shrug and smile. "I believe if we ever face a crisis of that nature, the Queens will call in a favor from gods they have befriended... or something... they are always a bit vague about that kind of stuff... But hey, your strangeness does not offend me. I got into the airship life because I like strange. I bet someone like you must worship some interesting gods themselves, right?"
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13