Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Stepladders are BAD  (Read 4580 times)

cythev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Stepladders are BAD
« on: February 26, 2020, 04:44:56 pm »

I made the big mistake to build stepladders and let some of my dwarves collect fruit. It always ends up felling the tree, because Urist McCherrylover takes the stepladder, runs out, climbs his favourite tree and starts picking fruit. Just then Uris McTidy comes along: "Oh, a lonely stepladder. What is this doing out here? I better bring it back to the stockpile."  Urist McCherrylover now lives in the happy tree and doesn't hesitate to come down until i fell it.

This happens to my dwarves all the time. Is there anything to prevent this behaviour or are stepladders just "buggy" because of this?

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: Stepladders are BAD
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2020, 04:48:26 pm »

If dwarves are taking the stepladder to a stockpile, you should probably configure the stockpile to not take stepladders, see if that fixes the problem.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

cythev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2020, 05:23:48 pm »

If dwarves are taking the stepladder to a stockpile, you should probably configure the stockpile to not take stepladders, see if that fixes the problem.

the stockpile was just an example. I have a feeling there is ALWAYS a reason for Urist McLadderstealer to take that damn thing...

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2020, 06:01:07 pm »

Its okay to leave the stepladders on the surface. Don't have any stockpile accept them. No hauling jobs will be generated if there's no place to haul them to.

The benefit to stepladders is you can set up several large plant gathering zones and you can easily feed your entire fortress that way. Skilled herbalists are extremely productive.

HungThir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2020, 05:21:51 am »

i suspect part of the problem is when urist 1 is up a tree and urist 2 decides he needs that specific stepladder to climb a different tree?  but if you build lots of stepladders, maybe that becomes less of a problem

i remember this used to be a really bad problem a while ago (0.44.09-ish?) but then was somewhat fixed?  i haven't had much problems with dwarves stuck in trees for a while, except the odd case where someone flees/dodges up one (sheep did this a lot in 0.44.12 for some reason, maybe they still do)

also, there's a setting in the orders menu, i can't remember the exact wording, but it makes your herbalists only collect fallen fruit off the ground, and not go climbing in trees to collect it

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2020, 07:04:54 am »

Maybe the climbing AI needs a bit of a tweak for trees; I've had dwarves readily climb over walls and up pits when they're stuck, but they commonly stay in trees.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

coalboat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2020, 09:30:49 am »

Leave the BAD stepladders outside and kea will help you get rid of them.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2020, 09:44:50 am »

A dwarf with a handful of fresh apples balances delecately on a branch. He looks down to his step ladder to see it no longer there. On the horizon, a green bird flaps away, ladder in its talons.

DrCyano

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2020, 04:10:04 pm »

I made the big mistake to build stepladders and let some of my dwarves collect fruit. It always ends up felling the tree, because Urist McCherrylover takes the stepladder, runs out, climbs his favourite tree and starts picking fruit. Just then Uris McTidy comes along: "Oh, a lonely stepladder. What is this doing out here? I better bring it back to the stockpile."  Urist McCherrylover now lives in the happy tree and doesn't hesitate to come down until i fell it.

This happens to my dwarves all the time. Is there anything to prevent this behaviour or are stepladders just "buggy" because of this?

I have never had this problem, though I did get some Dwarves similarly stuck in a tree outside the gathering zone. The only thing I can think of is either a stockpile issue (I rarely have tool stockpiles) or maybe cleaning job (default orders are to not clean outdoors, but you may have changed the order to remove dead hamsters from the surface).

My advice is to either build lots of stepladders and ban it from your stockpiles, or build stairs into each tree to help the dwarves get down (I'm about 60% sure that would work).

A mad scientist necromancer, a peasant with a dream, a secret message inscribed on a gem, a giant bridge.
Come witness the Saga of the Puzzling Sea!
A documented Dwarf Fortress v0.47.xx game combining Fort Mode and Adventure Mode.

coalboat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2020, 01:32:57 am »

A dwarf with a handful of fresh apples balances delecately on a branch. He looks down to his step ladder to see it no longer there. On the horizon, a green bird flaps away, ladder in its talons.

Dwarf: Thanks, kea bird! If I can't use stepladders, I want to make sure stepladders can't use me, either!

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2020, 03:43:34 am »

Has anyone tried just building a ramp instead?

Stench Guzman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2020, 09:37:05 am »

Always have more stepladders than plant gatherers and don't let stockpiles accept stepladders.  Do that and you won't have any problems.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2020, 02:17:36 pm »

Except for Kea.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2020, 06:13:46 pm »

Just cut all trees. Then build 2 levels high 33x33 building (or 3 levels is better when harvesting with stepladder?). Make sure you can access it only from your fortress. Allow to grow inside only fruit-trees. This is how you secure fruits from trees into your booze stockpile. I still didn't figure how to use tree-seeds to plant new fruit trees. It has to be some Elvish secret, which Elves refuse to share for now...

Urist9876

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2020, 10:01:08 pm »

Masterwork stepladders. Best to trade them away.

Or make a dedicated stepladder stockpile near the entrance of the fort.

Keas and masterworks. Dwarves often have enough trouble without that awkward combination.
Pages: [1] 2