Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Heroic Lineage [SG]  (Read 3871 times)

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
Re: Heroic Lineage [SG]
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2020, 07:13:38 pm »

BAA
Spell book, Witch and castle with ruins

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2020, 10:11:03 pm »

BAA

+1

Seems to me like the most safe bet we could make - for good or ill. I personally find the idea of possibly restoring the world over several / many generations work, to be an appealing one.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2020, 01:38:24 am »

BAA

+1

Seems to me like the most safe bet we could make - for good or ill. I personally find the idea of possibly restoring the world over several / many generations work, to be an appealing one.
+1

magic ftw

Prophet

• Bay Watcher
  • Cultist and Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2020, 02:36:02 am »

BAA

+1

+1

magic ftw
+1
.... You've doomed us all. Granted. Everyone except for traps are executed. Random sci-fi nonsense is required to be taught in schools.
A cute intersex harem with everyone in love with the androgynous king and smart and useful enough into pushing the kingdom forward.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2020, 06:16:05 am »

BAA

+1

+1

magic ftw
+1
+1
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2020, 12:05:51 pm »

BCC
Spell Book, Beloved, Carlston Pass

Hey let’s give our boy Jaurice a chance of happiness here! Also it would be nice to have future heroes who have a taste of a normal life; else how do they appreciate what they are fighting for? It may not be optimized for magic, but it may develop more rounded.

I think Carlston Pass would be good between giving a safe place to raise a family and opportunities for adventure work. Ruins are creepy, and I’d give the pass a slight edge over harbor for the martial tradition.

Overall I think this combo puts us in a good place to develop a strong diverse heroic lineage, springing from a (hopefully) loving family in a place with a strong martial tradition.

Sindari Immortals Play as an immortal being trying to subvert an evil empire of (for now) stronger immortals. On *very* long term hiatus.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2020, 12:08:16 pm »

BCC
Spell Book, Beloved, Carlston Pass

+1

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2020, 12:20:02 pm »

I like the idea of exploring unexplored ruins, who knows, maybe there are spirits there who just want a way out

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2020, 01:01:45 pm »

Remember that these options all exist, and Jaurice knows about them. Since there's interest in the ruins, traveling to explore them for your next adventure will be an option even if you settle elsewhere.
Choosing Dogsvale now will give a roll bonus for the ruins from familiarity, and chances of adventurous offspring running off to explore them without you specifically voting to explore them.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2020, 02:41:21 pm »

I want a family of adventurous magic researchers, and proximity to ruins seems good for that.

That said, Beloved probably works out as well as Witch for that, if not better in the long term. Magic attunement or education?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 03:01:50 pm by Egan_BW »

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2020, 04:10:44 pm »

Yeah I think the ruins would also be cool, don’t get me wrong, I just like the idea of our hero settling down in a “nice” place where his kids could live a relatively normal life, while also receiving training. Also if one of our kids is not up to “heroic standards”, they would be in a good position to work in/ run their own caravan or farm or something.

Moreover, I would rather not lock down on a role like magic researcher. Our bloodline already has a heroic determination and willpower, explicitly marrying for magical ability will create a lot of pressure on a nay kids to be good at magic, and competition to be the best. Descendants without magical ability, intentionally or not, may feel less valued. I would rather start with more open possibilities that let their natural abilities guide them onto a path that best suits them.

Overall, ruins are cool! I just love the idea of Jaurice doing his part in defeating the evil overlord and being able to raise the next generation with his sweetheart.
Sindari Immortals Play as an immortal being trying to subvert an evil empire of (for now) stronger immortals. On *very* long term hiatus.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2020, 09:08:55 pm »

Current vote count:
BBBBBBBBC
AAAAABCC
AAAAACCC
Spell book, Witch and castle with ruins.

Nobody likes evil swords, nobles, the harbor town, or dwarves.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2020, 09:38:23 pm »

I like evil swords, but the book offers a way to mend the world, so...
so the world might be mended

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2020, 02:10:24 pm »

Last time, on Heroic Bloodlines:

Jaurice looted Draconis' spellbook and notes, married his companion, the witch Vivius, and decided to raise his family in Dogsvale, which seems to be protected by ancient ruins.

10 years elapsed.

Quote from: rolls
Most rolls are 2d50.

Dogsvale military: 83+10, great success. With Jaurice's training and aid, they secure the surrounding areas and build some defensive outposts. Occasional demons appear behind the front lines, but patrols keep things almost as safe as they were before.
Dogsvale economy: 30+20, fair. With the flood of refugees, it's touch-and-go during the first year. But with the area firmly secured, most of the refugee population is saved, and spreads out to farm the immediately surrounding area.
The economy is stable, and morale is surprisingly good. Trade has been severed, as has most contact with the outside world. Dogsvale's economy is focused on survival and defensive military pursuits, leading to a shortage of finished goods.

Vivius morale: 38, poor. She blames herself for the apocalypse, and Jaurice can't convince her that it isn't her fault. Her mental scars have greatly reduced her effectiveness in a fight, but she can still help train the next generation and try to decipher the texts.
Offspring: 3 are born.
Potentials of {40}{55}{70}. 3d5 Might-magic preference skew of {3}{1}{1}, +1 from Vivius.

Research roll: {80} of [125?]. Significant progress is made on studying the notes. Many of the notes are about demonology, and Draconis' study of it. The encryption and complexity get more difficult as the notes advance, but Vivius has confirmed that at least part of the gateway spell is in the notes.
Demonology is dangerous, and neither of the two want to delve too far into such arts. {67} Vivius does manage to create a low level banishment bolt spell. It tends to outright 'kill' weaker demons and weaken stronger ones for a short time. It can be overcharged to explode or be used on stronger demons.
She has some ideas about making a ward copying the anti-demon effects from the ruins, but needs more time or a close-up study.

Health: Vivius and the firstborn, Jarn had brushes with death. Vivius thinks she has a lingering poisoning from the demonology study, and the firstborn from an explosive magical training accident. The other two were slightly hurt by it. All made a full recovery, but Jarn has learned from the experience to use smaller spells, and now wants to follow in his mother's footsteps by focusing on precision over power.
Vivius can find nothing of use on her sickness in the notes: It didn't affect Draconis, but may have killed a few of his underlings.

Quote from: Family Assets
10 funds
Medium house in Dogsvale with training yard

5 family members

Treasures:
Draconis' notes

Spoiler: Major Characters (click to show/hide)

The heroes Jaurice and Vivius were gladly welcomed into Dogsvale. Jaurice quickly integrated into the military as an auxiliary, training with the troops and often leading the charge into battle. He is instrumental in ensuring that everything goes better than anyone could have expected.
Without a party, he's only lightly scouted the ruins. He can beat one of the golems, but at cost to his weapons, and those are still at a premium in Dogsvale.

Vivius helps with a few major battles, but not well. She spends most of her time studying and child-rearing.

The children, Jarn, Vads, and Euriel, take to training remarkably well. Combining the excited vigor of childhood, with heroic parents and a blessing that lets them focus their goals, Success was inevitable.

Demons seem to be slowly getting stronger over time.

At the end of 10 years, dogsvale's situation is stable, and Jaurice can take time off to go on another adventure, which the kids are clamoring for. They're ready enough. Jaurice knows that if he doesn't give in and give them a taste of adventure, they'll find one on their own sooner or later, and without his protection or guidance.
For his services, he has been granted a squad of 5 soldiers for one adventure.

A) Organize a deeper delve of the ruins (4 funds): It's close, and doesn't seem to like the demons. The family should be able to figure out why, and either use it to help save the world, or have Vivius study it to help with her anti-demon ward. It's expensive to hit golems with swords, however, and it some ways it would be better to wait for the kids to be able to use more magic against them.
B) Explore the world: Dogsvale is remote. Rumors of people needing help only arrive after it's too late for heroics to save them, and the rumors are almost always grim. The family could go out to fight for civilization and find out what's still intact. They might also find a way to strengthen Dogsvale, either by reestablishing trade ties, convincing more refugees to settle there, or finding some skilled craftsmen or mages.
C) Explore Ravenspire's ruins: Look for more clues about the apocalypse, or possibly even weaken the demons. Vivius might be able to learn something with more study here, and more experience with the area will help if heroics are needed here later to seal the demons away. And there will be treasure.
D) Stay home. Adventures are never fully safe, and the kids aren't even 10 yet. Jaurice thinks he can stave off most of their adventurous spirits with small training expeditions into the surroundings and the safer parts of the ruins.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2020, 02:15:59 pm »

C
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4