00 - Her potential has been limited by her free will- 00

I don't care.
- 0 (0%)
I don't care.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: January 04, 2021, 02:28:47 am

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 381

Author Topic: McCreary's Planet -- (FINISHED)  (Read 251648 times)

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: McCreary's Planet
« Reply #120 on: February 18, 2020, 03:24:48 am »

Nicole knows our secret, so it's essential that we comply with her request to form or infiltrate a clique of potential recruits, perhaps by showing off our physical prowess to attract attention.

We should also work as hard as we can to distinguish ourselves and succeed in training.  If we leverage our superhuman abilities, we can make it to the top of the class and have our pick of postings.

Lastly, we should make an effort to learn as much about the world and its history as possible, focusing on more recent events and closer locations.  Being more familiar with common customs and traditions will allow us to blend in more effectively.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2020, 03:41:12 am by ZBridges »

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 18, 2020, 06:37:26 am »

Nicole knows our secret, so it's essential that we comply with her request to form or infiltrate a clique of potential recruits, perhaps by showing off our physical prowess to attract attention.

We should also work as hard as we can to distinguish ourselves and succeed in training.  If we leverage our superhuman abilities, we can make it to the top of the class and have our pick of postings.

Lastly, we should make an effort to learn as much about the world and its history as possible, focusing on more recent events and closer locations.  Being more familiar with common customs and traditions will allow us to blend in more effectively.
+1

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 18, 2020, 09:11:01 am »

+1
+1
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 18, 2020, 01:14:27 pm »

It would be best though to demonstrate peak human physical abilities rather then say... more then that if we have it.  Also not demonstrating our massive healing factor would be a good idea also.

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 19, 2020, 12:43:27 am »

Eric talks your ear off about his family's farm, about the expansions that they're going to make, about all the farmhands, and his friend Mary.
You think he's trying to impress you, so you play your part, paying him enough attention to keep him talking. By the end of it, he's beaming wide about his life. But then the smile crumples.

"But uh...wow. I would have never thought you were related to Black Nicky." He manages, looking at you with a strange mix of awe and fascination. Beneath that, though, is fear. You raise an eyebrow, and he corrects himself, "Sorry, Mother Nicole."

"Tell me about her. I don't remember much."

"Well, she was the twelfth Crusader. She led the purging of the Arcian region of the planet. We learn about her near the end of our history classes." Eric is hesitantly choosing his words, "She...she ordered a lot of firebombings. Entire cities were burned to the ground, sometimes still full of civilians."

You don't think you react the way he expects you to, as you shrug and go back to looking out the window. Instead, "What's the Infection?"

"Its a...plague. It turns people into monsters.  It infects the lands, buildings, machines. Everything it touches rots and dies."

[6] "Wouldn't it be better then, to burn everything?" You offer.

He flinches as if you've struck him. "Crusaders are supposed to protect Humans. Risking everything to try and protect as many people as they can!"

[7] He gets up when you don't reply, looking irritated. He strikes up a conversation with the Miner's Child instead of you. You inwardly sigh, rising to your feet as well. A certain blond girl has caught your eye, and you take a seat right next to her.

[8] "Yes, Sister Gainer?" She's blunt with her irritation.

[16]"You seem like someone interesting to talk to." You offer by way of explanation, "But if you're dealing with something, I'll leave you to it."

The blond shakes her head at you, shoulders slumping. "Sorry, that was rude of me. I'm Emma Thornton, my Father is William Thornton, and my brother is his Junior."

[19] "Pheobe Gainer, pleasure." You look at her blankly, however. "Who are they?"

[-] Relief pours over her, but it fades as she mumbles, "They....used to be the Warlord and Heir, but they're businessmen now."

You nod, and she begins venting in earnest. Things like, "I didn't even want to join the Scholars." and, "My brother tries so hard, but I just feel scared when I talk to him!"

By the end of her tirade, she seems exhausted, but relieved, smiling widely at you. "Thanks, Pheobe...I haven't had anyone to talk to for a long time."

You pat her on the shoulder, and she politely asks you questions about yourself. You feed her your 'life story,' and while she looks confused by a few things, she's still smiling, patting you on the shoulder.

A small display reads that you have three hours before arrival.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Inventory (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Wealth (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Powers (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Contracts (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 03:31:00 pm by 19_EgarAlnis »

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 19, 2020, 05:11:14 am »

The hover-craft begins to de-accelerate until it slowly stops in mid-air. It adjusts by turning with micro-jets until it enters the long descent down into a large compound.

Three large, pre-fabricated buildings jut out of the ground, all single story, and all clustered around the only three-story building, with a bulky bottom floor. They're all made out of dull, grey steel. A few wooden sheds dot the landscape, and a target range is facing away from the civilization of a small town. A dense wall of cement and razor-wire blocks everything neatly in.

You stream out with the others, onto the field.

"Welcome to the Academy. Here, we'll teach you the basics of being a Scholar. That includes, and I list;" Someone begins to drone from in front of the crowd.

When she makes introductions, you learn they are the teaching body; a fitness instructor, a military instructor, three teachers for maths and sciences,  and five for language and culture. You note the military instructor's name is Brother Tyler Hop.

Everyone receives a schedule document, with a number on the back, and is dismissed after the speech.

Back at the barracks and your Siblings set to work quickly to make dinner, lest you fall asleep on an empty stomach. Somehow you burn water and, through a unanimous vote, are sent to setting the table. You protest internally, but resign yourself to your newfound reputation as an awful cook.  You eat no more of dinner than your fair share and help to clean more efficiently than you helped cook, earning back the respect of your peers.

Spoiler: Schedule (click to show/hide)

The entry examinations fly by, and you do well in all of them, excelling in particular with physical training and firearm handling. However, Translations are awkward, in that every concept you know is wrong, requiring this word, or this formula to be included. Writing is also tricky, as you end up writing in what you think is the proper language because it all looks the same to you. You have to -concentrate- not to translate everything into an underlying script, and the primary text itself feels alien to you.

At the end of the week, you receive a revised schedule, and you realize with dread that you have an extra hour of physical training in the morning with Brother Hop. The workout is far more brutal than the one the other apprentices go through. It exhausts you, as he seems to consider your...unnatural abilities in the training.

Eric attempts to and fails to show you up at every turn, while Emma tutors you in Translations. Days, weeks, months drift by as you learn, study, and exercise. By the end of the first year, you have dozens of people who would call you their friend, among them Emma, are twenty pounds heavier with muscle and can write and speak three scholarly scripts with ease.

You receive the first week of the second year off. The students are talking about spending the week in town, getting rid of some of their back pay. You're lying in your room, staring up at the ceiling. You ponder how to spend the first true bit of free time in a year off.

Spoiler: Relationships (click to show/hide)

Sorry for the double-post!

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 19, 2020, 07:56:43 am »

Send a basic status update to Grandma, then join our new friends in what they’re doing for vacation
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 19, 2020, 08:00:20 am »

Send a basic status update to Grandma, then join our new friends in what they’re doing for vacation
+1

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 19, 2020, 09:47:26 am »

+1
+1
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 20, 2020, 03:54:41 am »

The letter to your grandmother is short, sweet, and to the point. You take a tongue in cheek tone with her as you update her on all your new friends, their names, ages, what they can do. You mention Emma again, how you two are close friends now. Brother Hop is your favorite teacher, and you're so damn happy for all the extra tutoring.

Emma has already sent the others ahead to the first public house they see by the time you emerge from your room into shared quarters. She starts walking out the door, and you have no choice but to follow.

During the brief walk, she fills you in on the petty politics of the clique, the general sentiment of each member, and any tutoring or assistance she had to organize. She also lists the promises kept, and fulfilled, and the ones where you have to intervene directly.

"McGee and James say you beat Eric up by the end of the week, in town. They have a point, though." Emma states, bluntly, mentioning two of your 'friends'. Two subdivisions of promises within the group. "He's been testing your patience on purpose for a year. They're wondering why. Mcgee thinks you're unwilling to break the rules. James is concerned about a secret."

The town opens up when you enter the market square. Vendors have set up shop wherever there's room, selling anything your heart desires. Makeshift cooking stalls leave the air aromatic with dozens of different foods. The three bars have opened their doors out into the street, signs posted up to advertise Scholar discounts.

With a regretful glance towards the food stalls that Emma giggles at, you enter the first one on your left, your friends are greeting you cheerfully.
You and Emma are passed a glass from the bartender, and you down your first drink of the night.

[7+1] You notice everyone is finished with their drink. Something about this bothers you.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 04:05:34 am by 19_EgarAlnis »

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 20, 2020, 04:29:17 am »

"How many have you guys had?  It looks like I need to catch up."

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 20, 2020, 06:35:00 am »

say this, then start drinking

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 20, 2020, 10:13:46 am »

say this, then start drinking
+1

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 21, 2020, 12:37:17 am »

"Only the Hospitality drink," Mcgee counters, with a laugh, "How many have you had?"

[4] Emma shoots him a dark glare, and he returns it with a smile. She calls the bartender over, "One round of [whiskey] for my friends and me, please." She nudges you with her elbow, looking disappointed, "On her tab."

[11] Your group of friends cheers, laughing to themselves, and Emma relaxes, giving you an apologetic smile. She leans in close as the bartender fills your friend's mugs with a carefully measured shot. "The boss always buys the first round. Its tradition. The cheapest drink is always accepted, but..." She cuts herself off, taking her mug and lifting it to her lips. "Heavier drinks can always cover a faux pas."

The group cheers you and Emma, and you empty your glass. The whiskey...is disappointing. It tastes like someone mixed pure ethanol and pine resin. James starts coughing, and Mcgee prods him with a taunt. Everyone, after that point, begins to order whatever their hearts desire. Ales, ciders, one young woman even asks for a glass of wine. They're tipsy, you can tell, but you feel nothing. You need a lot more alcohol.

[10] You buy the rest of the whiskey bottle at a discount, taking massive draws from it.[-.2 credits]

Emma purchases a bottle of wine, taking a seat at the bar next to you. Your 'friends' keep a respectful distance, instead of chatting with Emma and letting you drink. When you finally empty the bottle, you feel a little fuzzy. A couple of beers later, and you feel much tipsier than you can remember.

[1] Eric steps into the bar, at the head of his little group. They stop dead when they see you, already swaying from intoxication. Your friends go quiet. James and McGee are looking between the two of you, and even Emma rises to her feet.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 12:51:48 am by 19_EgarAlnis »

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 21, 2020, 12:41:17 am »

Throw a salute! Offer to buy Eric a drink too.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 381