00 - Her potential has been limited by her free will- 00

I don't care.
- 0 (0%)
I don't care.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: January 04, 2021, 02:28:47 am

Pages: 1 ... 283 284 [285] 286 287 ... 381

Author Topic: McCreary's Planet -- (FINISHED)  (Read 252402 times)

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: McCreary's Planet -- Act III: Sol's Reign
« Reply #4260 on: July 02, 2020, 10:33:45 pm »

"...that is acceptable." Murdach sighs. "Only because of good faith and old debts. What data and what form?"

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4261 on: July 02, 2020, 10:40:24 pm »

Uh... not sure about this.  This seems like Constantine's area of expertise, but here's a suggestion.

"Any data describing the general mineral composition of the planet and the locations and mineral depths of any particularly mineral-concentrated regions.  Do you have storage cubes?"
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 11:00:00 pm by ZBridges »

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4262 on: July 03, 2020, 12:01:57 am »

My area of expertise, hm? You've a point there... my memory is still fragmented, mind. I shall have to go digging.

<Mnemonic query: what geological information would be most useful to us in the development of this world and in the furthering of our cause, and what geological information would typically be bartered in a trade such as this? How was such information stored in my day?>

((Over the past few weeks, I've come to believe that mnemonic access is a conscious act on the part of our characters. It seems necessary, given the sheer volume of technical knowledge and Empyreal lore of which we remain ignorant-- lore a dust-elder really ought to know!))
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4263 on: July 03, 2020, 12:20:51 am »

[11d20 = 111]
All of it. Planetary survey data, starcharts, nearest routes, fertility levels, possible fertility levels, mass spectrum readings-- the list is endless. All information has value in the planning and development of a planet. From metrological data to deviations in the output of the star. The higher the amount of data, the less risk, and the more valuable a system could potentially be -- at least, if you can process and visualize it.

Prominent locations of interest for grab and go are also noted on these geological and fertility surveys. Judging by your own experience - and Cephie's observation - with proper development this planet seems to have an abundance of life-sustaining minerals -- phosphorous, nitrogen, and so on. Either SEED trapped these from a supernova or stumbled upon an abundance already in the system. However, the planet's biosphere is still in its earlier stages--

As for the tech you used, you were in a period of transition from solid-state quantum-based data storage, also known as datacubes, to the smaller and more efficient gas-state systems. Datacubes are a standard in the rim -- and were the standard of your time in the Empyre. You think both are horribly outdated by now, but your Nulls can read data-cubes...There will be a pallet full, no doubt. Pads, like Cephie's, could also be useful -- especially if outfitted with a translation device, as they might have more data-storage now than the larger cubes...
« Last Edit: July 03, 2020, 12:30:16 am by 19_EgarAlnis »

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4264 on: July 03, 2020, 01:06:16 am »

"Haha-- funny." Murdach laughs, then pauses, the sensor on his head twisting to look back and forth between you and Cephie. "Oh [merciful God], you're serious. Bring a cargo craft. I'll get some people to send it around. What's your Network Acess Usernam--" Murdach trails off when Cephie winces.

"Gods be kind this planet is still a shit hole after all this time? It has Ascended and las-guns, antimatter weapons, but ya'll don't even have a damn Empyreal Network Relay? Right. Alright. I've got one held in common share -- I'll sell it to you for nearly free. You'll have to route through our systems if you want to send a message out of system, but we can work somethin' out for that."

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4265 on: July 03, 2020, 01:13:48 am »

"Thank you.  I look forward to working with you.  Will you need transportation?  Our capital... city is a day or so of air travel away.  Alternatively, I can send some bookies to this location to work out the details instead."

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4266 on: July 03, 2020, 01:18:28 am »

"I'll send a message -- ya'll got any good food or drink or are yo--" Once again Cephie winces, and Murdach presses a hand to his mid-section. "If I still had a heart, that would've got me. Our life-debt is great, but...but food and drink are the staples of a bonding, of a contract started and sealed. Salt, wine, and bread -- meats too."

["Tradition states, that, as we are hiring these people, we should provide them food and drink during the negotiation. The best we can offer. A sign of prosperity....a sign of hospitality."]

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4267 on: July 03, 2020, 01:23:17 am »

This is why we haven't eaten the other arm yet.

"[Can non-Ascended tolerate nano-feasts?  Other than that... I have nothing here.  We could prepare them some delicious [large insect] steak when we return?]"

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4268 on: July 03, 2020, 01:31:10 am »

["Oh? And some nutrient cakes while we're at it?"] Cephie snarks, and her grin curls her lips. ["Maybe a nice bottle of terrible vodka made in an industrial water still can help it go down smooth. Maybe you should marry the [khagnate], bring these people out there, since our food is so poor we about gave this man a heart attack at the state of it."]

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4269 on: July 03, 2020, 01:40:58 am »

["Just wait until he sees our 'city.'  I feel bad for this guy.  He waited a millenium to have the opportunity to feast on... nutrient cubes?"]

"Of course, we have some rations, but little else as meeting you was a surprise to us.  Please accept these with our gratitude.  l will have more proper food sent to you, with my regards, as soon as I return to Stormmont.  Please do visit it at some point, as we would like to give you the opportunity to sample our hospitality."

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4270 on: July 03, 2020, 01:52:35 am »

"Jus' organize something good. We've got our own stores of food, and we always have the rebreathers, but my word as Captain only goes so far. They know me to be good and just and cruel and unkind as needed, but meetin' your folk and enjoyin' hospitality sets minds at ease about the state of our neighbors and about any contract we might be signin'." Murdach plays with the most prominent of his jewels, the twelve snake amulet. "You're young. I can tell by this gi'-- woman's advisin'. New at power. Showin' off isn't for your people, it's for those that ain't. I might be sympathetic, but the next person to wear this amulet might not be. You pickin' up on what I'm sayin'?"

The display flashes as he opens the cryopods and begins to 'thaw' his people out. "Give us a week to get straightened. I'll dig out that comms package for you so we can stay in touch. I'll need a week to pitch this to my people. Sway'm around. Got a place to stay for the night? We have plenty of available bunks for the time."

"Sleeping on a ship might be good for you. Its good to remember where you came from." Cephie opines.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2020, 01:56:13 am by 19_EgarAlnis »

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4271 on: July 03, 2020, 01:57:43 am »

"Thank you, that would be kind of you.  If my companions do not have any objections, we will stay here for the night."

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4272 on: July 03, 2020, 03:27:38 am »

["I'm sleeping on the ship tonight. We made a friend."] You calmly broadcast to the Null, who, in turn, no doubt transmits the news to Nicole -- there's a flurry of thunks and pops as the mic is jostled and apparently dropped, before your grandmother's voice echoes out.

["Right. If we don't see you in a the next twenty-four, I'm blowing this entire crater to Paradise."] Nicole gently warns. ["So if you are being held hostage or otherwise inconvenienced by whatever you found in there, you should escape before then. Otherwise, have a good night, Pheobe."]

There's a pause, and the mic is dropped again, followed by the Null reporting, politely, stiffly. ["I will keep an eye on Nicole Gainer, Mother Pheonix. We'll make contact if there's any trouble."]

You and Cephie follow Murdach into the lift, having to hug the edges of the elevator to give the giant enough room. He's silent, facing forward. The two of you follow suite, and eventually you step out into a long, metallic corridor, full of rounded edges and foam covering, and into the cryo-bay.

A mass of people mill despondently. They drift towards the cryopods that contain nothing but corpses or skeletons. Men, women, and children alike mourn quietly. You watch Murdach pause. "This is the worst part of bein' a leader, young queen." He drawls to you, softly and sadly. Then his voice booms out over the crowd. "The fuck' you lot doin', huh?! Are your tears goin' to bring them back? You lot got some magic in you you haven't told me about? Huh!? We're dead in the damn dirt -- how are you goin' to cry without water? Get your shit straight and get to work -- speak with your Crew Leaders and get to work! We're bloody Pirates. Death is the cost of life-- get to it!"

The crowd is stunned. No one speaks, even as their fists clench and their jaws tighten and work. Anger burns brightly. But the logic of the Captain's statement rings true. A few minutes pass, and work crews are formed, setting off to various parts of the ship. "'ey, Morganson, find these two highborn ladies a big room --" His speech cuts off as the  rainbow-haired youth draws close. Dark eyes in dark skin look over the two of you, and a grin splits his lips.

"Yes, Captain." Morganson turns to you, setting off down the corridor.

"Enjoy the night, Patches!" Murdach calls after you.

The room is stately, if dusty. It was one of the ones that was sealed, and, after Morganson presses a few fingers to his wristpad, he explains, "This used to be the chief navigator's quarters. He didn't wake up. The nicest unoccupied space we got."

Everything is lavish in this room. The bed is a red wood that gleams in the light. There are various pieces of fine art plundered from a dozen different styles and cultures. The floors have a carpet on them -- and the blankets on the bed are soft and silky, etched with gold and a shimmering, rainbow-hued silk that reflects light a dozen different ways. A monitor hangs above a wrought iron desk that curls itself from the carpet like the finest ivy, and another monitor lies nearby a comfortable couch.

"Lady Patches -- other lady. Food will be around as soon as the cook and quartermaster get around to it. If you have need of anything, there's a console by the door. There's a shower on this corridor, can't miss it, if you need to refresh yourself. As far as I can tell, you two are...y'know, mortally unbound, so try not to get angry. Rooms' on lend and all that."

"Right. Thank you." You murmur, politely, examining the display of the console by the desk. "I can use this to send communications out of system?"

"Aye. Hooked up to the main network and the Empyre."

You nod, giving him a smile. He gives a slight nod, then turns and leaves you alone. The lights flicker, but Cephie claims the couch, pulling out her datapad. "You get the bed, I'll get the couch. You probably have about an hour to send a message without someone monitoring your transmission...here." She tosses the datapad over to you, and you glance down. Its a list of names and connection numbers. "Order of assumed closeness to this system. You'll be routed a bit, but those are contacts for above the table operations for each group that your siblings command."

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

There's a routing code for Magnus too, at the bottom of the page.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Inventory (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Powers and Skills (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Wealth (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Contracts (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Ties (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Holdings (click to show/hide)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4273 on: July 03, 2020, 07:41:54 am »

Others should chime in on this but I think we should try this Ashley 'Ashes' person.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4274 on: July 03, 2020, 10:16:47 am »

Others should chime in on this but I think we should try this Ashley 'Ashes' person.
alright.
Pages: 1 ... 283 284 [285] 286 287 ... 381