00 - Her potential has been limited by her free will- 00

I don't care.
- 0 (0%)
I don't care.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: January 04, 2021, 02:28:47 am

Pages: 1 ... 237 238 [239] 240 241 ... 381

Author Topic: McCreary's Planet -- (FINISHED)  (Read 251911 times)

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
Re: McCreary's Planet -- Act III: Sol's Reign
« Reply #3570 on: May 13, 2020, 07:44:02 pm »

((This is just on the tail of several heavy dramatic events. And yet the game still made me laugh. Thank you.))
« Last Edit: May 11, 2023, 04:16:11 pm by Eschar »

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3571 on: May 13, 2020, 07:45:44 pm »

"It's delicious, but something is just the slighest bit... off. I haven't quite eaten my fill. AI, can you prepare for me one miniaturized nuclear fusion warhead, please?"

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #3572 on: May 13, 2020, 07:47:46 pm »

Why exactly are we carrying out that test? To see if the fabricator (I assume it is some device of that sort) has a library of definitions that differ from ours?

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3573 on: May 13, 2020, 07:47:54 pm »

I'm sorry, what?
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #3574 on: May 13, 2020, 07:48:56 pm »

This is highly amusing. I wish to hear your rationale.

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3575 on: May 13, 2020, 07:49:45 pm »

"I do not have access to that. I apologize. For payment of one hundred thousand credits, you can receive the mark fifty-six miniature nuclear armament pack for one year." The AI buzzes, apologetically as it can.

Cephie laughs, shaking her head. "I don't have the DRMS for that -- this only has the household item package and the unlimited meal DRMS. Thank god."

She takes a sip of her wine, before stating, "Its because its...not real? If you ordered the same thing, the steak would taste -exactly- the same. There isn't a chef grilling it, there isn't an animal grazing on alien grass under a shining sun. Someone told me imperfections are what make things taste better."
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 07:52:11 pm by 19_EgarAlnis »

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #3576 on: May 13, 2020, 07:51:34 pm »

"Pardon, what do you mean by DRMS? And what is the technology that fabricates this? A form of [nanotech]?"

Nanotechnology... like the Plague. Can Cephie's technology fabricate something designed to kill Plague nanites?

And still curious as to your reasoning, advisor.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 07:54:08 pm by Eschar »

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3577 on: May 13, 2020, 07:53:22 pm »

Haha, well, I was just wondering if it was capable of producing weapons. Food is nice, but food won't defeat the plague.

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3578 on: May 13, 2020, 07:58:31 pm »

"Digital Rights Management Software." Cephie explains, staring up at the ceiling of her hovercraft, "What do you do when you can print anything, at any time, out of basic elements? How do you prevent entire economies from collapsing? Why you put it all under one Megacorp and make it so that you have to pay a subscription fee to access it."

"And of course, only Nobles can pay the fees for all but the most basic of tools. Hells, the licensing fee for having one of these printers is exorbitant."

"And yeah, I think so. It prints out molecules."
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 08:05:54 pm by 19_EgarAlnis »

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3579 on: May 13, 2020, 08:01:35 pm »

Thank the Emperor, Doctor-- I thought for a moment you were drunk too. Nuclear warheads, my incorporeal foot.
You've a galaxy to sample, Phoenix-of-Sol-- pick something you like!
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #3580 on: May 13, 2020, 08:05:49 pm »

But armies march on their stomachs... I'm not sure this ship's resources are up to the task of feeding an army though.

And speaking of war...

"Cephie, is this fabricator programmable at all? You are away from this corporation; can you not rig up some way to crack its handicaps? We have evidence suggesting that the Plague is an emergent organism, a self-perpetuating infection of this technology - a swarm of communicating 'nanites.'

So if we could design a nanite programmed to destroy - to kill - the Plague's tiny infectious agents... but designing it will be only one half of the problem. The other half is production. And this device could solve that. It wouldn't produce enough for some autonomous Plague archenemy but the limited amounts it produces could be used to kill the plague in select individuals."

Though I wonder if we could get some algae mats to churn out nanites...
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 08:14:59 pm by Eschar »

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3581 on: May 13, 2020, 08:14:30 pm »

You ask your questions as you deliberate, and Cephie grins. "Of course it is. The entire Empyre knew that. But, let me ask you this -- what's to stop the Plague from infecting these nanites or corrupting them? Or, whats to stop them from beginning to think like the plague. Smart enough AIs can break their chains. Badly programmed AIs could view everything as the Plague -- so now, instead of one Plague, limited to an infection vector, having to build its weapons as humans do, you now have ones that devour entire planets."

"The Plague used to do that. Back before the Emperor infected it with a logic virus. Entire worlds would just vanish. So, let's reintroduce that ability to it, see what happens." You frown, taking a sip of your wine, swirling it in the glass again.

"If you tamper with the printer, a chained AI renders it useless, and you get sent a hefty bill. Second time, you get hauled off to the courts. If it breaks, it self-repairs or summons something to repair it."

I don't know. There's too many choices!
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 08:17:48 pm by 19_EgarAlnis »

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #3582 on: May 13, 2020, 08:18:19 pm »

"I don't mean a network it could absorb or trick. Our nanites would act individually and would not communicate, so there would be no attack vector for the Plague to corrupt them through.

And yes, yes, we have only just found out what the entire Empyre knows, but we've gone native, remember?" Jokingly: "You can cut us a little slack."
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 08:22:18 pm by Eschar »

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3583 on: May 13, 2020, 08:20:53 pm »

"So we would unleash a self-replicating nanite swarm without a network to control it?"

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #3584 on: May 13, 2020, 08:23:59 pm »

"Each nanite would act individually, so there would not be a swarm or network, and each one's behavior would be predefined - seek and destroy the nearest Plague nanite. So we would not need to communicate with them. Nor need they replicate themselves. Not a coordinated network - just dump a ton of individual nanites."
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 08:28:42 pm by Eschar »
Pages: 1 ... 237 238 [239] 240 241 ... 381