Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Nature-valuing civs should have an emotional reaction to regional corruption  (Read 748 times)

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile

Now that necromancers and demon lords can turn entire regions evil with their influence, it seems kind of weird that the surrounding civs seem mostly ok with this. For instance, an elven civ would probably be upset that huge swaths of their forest are dead now thanks to the necromancer who set up shop nearby a few years back. It might even serve as an incentive in itself for them to take violent action against him. Of course I'm no coding expert, so I have no idea how easy this would be to implement, but presumably some kind of emotional trigger would be possible.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 08:53:33 pm by PlumpHelmetMan »
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Now that necromancers and demon lords can turn entire regions evil with their influence, it seems kind of weird that the surrounding civs seem mostly ok with this. For instance, an elven civ would probably be upset that huge swaths of their forest are dead now thanks to the necromancer who set up shop nearby a few years back. It might even serve as an incentive in itself for them to take violent action against him. Of course I'm no coding expert, so I have no idea how easy this would be to implement, but presumably some kind of emotional trigger would be possible.
They do take violent action against them. What makes you think they don't? Goblin civs (both evil spreading ones and others) and necromancer towers are attacked by other civs. Elves even form alliances with races who can use actual weapons and armour to take violent action against them.

Wouldn't be much of a world history if no-one was attacking goblins and necromancers.

Although, yes the reason for attacking is "you're killing us and turning us into abominations" as opposed to "you're a blight on the landscape" but still, would you notice the reason generally?

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile

Probably not, just thought it might be an interesting detail. It was kind of just a spur-of-the-moment thought I had while moving an elf adventurer through a necromancer's forest and thinking "Huh...it's weird that she has no emotional reaction to all these dead trees around her". But I see your point.
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Probably not, just thought it might be an interesting detail. It was kind of just a spur-of-the-moment thought I had while moving an elf adventurer through a necromancer's forest and thinking "Huh...it's weird that she has no emotional reaction to all these dead trees around her". But I see your point.
But, yes, when war becomes a bit more subtle and "necro/demon=bad guy" isn't quite so black and white, I can definitely see corruption of the land swaying public opinion towards "needs to be wiped out".
The structure is mostly there with Ethics, and would make nice flavor text in Adventurer.

Would recreate the attack on Isengard too. Nature lovers, not too bothered about corruption of sapient races going on there, so long as it's not happening to them. Get pissed off on discovering widescale logging operation.