Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 32

Author Topic: DF v0.47.01+ Worldgen Cookbook Thread  (Read 113677 times)

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
Re: DF v0.47.01+ Worldgen Cookbook Thread
« Reply #285 on: March 20, 2021, 03:25:29 pm »

Ok Dushan, this is both absurd and hilarious to me, but.. turns out, it's possible to contrive this situation.

A method is: create an artificial world with two major rivers in it (33x33 or larger required, afaik) with different elevations. (I used 299 and 100 for maximum disparity)
Then you run those two major rivers into each other, adjacent to an ocean elevation of 1.
What happens is, and this is the kind of absurd/buggy part, it will run the higher elevation river below the lower elevation river, where they meet.
So, to be extremely clear, what I've got here is two major rivers:
 One approaching from the north being elevation 299.
 One running west to east being elevation 100.
In the tile where they meet, the north river (elevation 299) is lower than the west->east river (elevation 100).  ???
The 100 elevation river is the waterfall, flowing off a cliff, down into the elevation 299 river.
I have no logical explanation, but it accomplishes what you were looking for, that is, a major river waterfall in a desert biome. (badlands in this embark, but that's just altering drainage)

In this case, it's one major river running into another major river, but I'm sure you could tweak it, if desired, to be different.  As well, the seeds aren't anything special, you can remove them, and it will likely re-gen without rejections or problems.
Here's the details..
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also found this 2x1 embark, when refining the requirements/limits of this generation method..

« Last Edit: March 20, 2021, 04:50:41 pm by vjek »

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: March 21, 2021, 12:10:07 pm »

That first one must be absolute murder on FPS.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: March 21, 2021, 02:31:25 pm »

Doesn't seem too bad on FPS so far, in a 2x2, at least.
I ran this one;

this morning for a few in-game months, and it stayed at max FPS (200 in my case) throughout.
That's a max-width major river.  It's one embark tile wide, falling ~40Z, so half the 2x2 is non-stop moving water.
YMMV, of course.  :D  There's no doubt, that much moving water simulation is adding to the rendering/display load.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: March 25, 2021, 02:34:18 pm »

Anticipating the inevitable requests of "Hey, can you get that with a volcano?"..  8)
Here's a 3x3 embark with a max-width major river 30Z waterfall, with a volcano.
Steel friendly, sand, clay, partial aquifer, HFS.

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: March 26, 2021, 10:01:31 am »

Interesting map, but that river kicked my FPS down to 40 at embark.

How do you get Stonesense to show the whole 3x3?  I've been fiddling with the init settings, but I haven't been able to make it display more than a 2x2.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2021, 10:03:08 am by orius »
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: March 26, 2021, 10:25:21 am »

Interesting map, but that river kicked my FPS down to 40 at embark.

How do you get Stonesense to show the whole 3x3?  I've been fiddling with the init settings, but I haven't been able to make it display more than a 2x2.
Control-arrow keys adjusts the rendering area, in stonesense, ctrl-shift-F5 produces a complete screenshot of the entire defined area, zoom (,/.) determines the output resolution of the .png.
After the waterfall finishes it's first flow/fall, my FPS is steady at 197/200 in that 3x3.  As always, YMMV.

MystRunner

• Bay Watcher
  • Idiots Roam Free! Beware all ye who enter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: April 05, 2021, 06:43:42 pm »

Guess I'll ask this here. I've been trying to cook  up a new world. specifically a more swampy world with hopefully some nice mostly flat swamps. I'm fairly new to the advanced parameters and would just like some direction on what I might change in it to get what I'm looking for.
I don't know what is more impressive, that dwarves can skip salting and curing meat opting for zombiefication, or that the dark art of necromancy has been twisted to the cause of curing meats.

Dwarf Fortress : Crimes Against Nature Simulator.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: April 05, 2021, 07:40:48 pm »

The short answer to swamps is 100 rain and 0 drain.  That will produce swamps throughout the world.
Naturally, you can get close with a range of rain and drain.  Specifically, as per this biome distribution from the wiki, 33-100 rain in conjunction with 0-32 drain will produce marshes and swamps.
If you want an example world that is 99% swamp, let me know and I'll reply with a set of worldgen parameters that meet that criteria.

MystRunner

• Bay Watcher
  • Idiots Roam Free! Beware all ye who enter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: April 05, 2021, 08:29:24 pm »

Well I tried changing what I thought was a relevant areas and instead got a lot of rejections regarding elevation issues. This is the input data I put into the advanced paramiters.

[ELEVATION:1:400:1600:1600]
   [RAINFALL:33:100:400:400]
   [TEMPERATURE:25:75:400:400]
   [DRAINAGE:0:50:400:400]
   [VOLCANISM:0:100:400:400]
   [SAVAGERY:0:100:400:400]
   [ELEVATION_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
   [RAIN_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
   [DRAINAGE_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
   [TEMPERATURE_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
   [SAVAGERY_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
   [VOLCANISM_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
I don't know what is more impressive, that dwarves can skip salting and curing meat opting for zombiefication, or that the dark art of necromancy has been twisted to the cause of curing meats.

Dwarf Fortress : Crimes Against Nature Simulator.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: April 05, 2021, 10:08:42 pm »

I took the default "Pocket Region" worldgen parameters in the advanced worldgen portion of DF and made the following adjustments:
(from the bottom up)
playable civs: 1
min number of _____ squares:  (set all these to None)
number of mountain caves: 0
number of non-mountain caves: 0
min/max natural cave size: 1
periodically erode: No
Orographic: no
desired river start post-erosion: none
min river start pre-erosion: none
desired good/evil in small: None
max megabeast caves: no beasts
max semi-megabest caves: no beasts
min volcano number: 0
min partial edge oceans: none
min mountain peak: none
min rain: 33
max drain: 32

It produced this, with zero rejections:
Spoiler: swamp-land (click to show/hide)
Hopefully that helps.  It's basically a world with a tiny bit of frozen north pole, a huge swamp, a tiny bit of ocean, and some mountains.
This can be refined further to produce a completely flat world that is entirely swamp except for one mountain tile, if desired.
Of course you can remove the seeds and generate as many worlds as you wish.

Aelwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: April 19, 2021, 09:20:01 am »

Could you help me to find an embark like this?

1. 4x4 flat neutral or good place on the beach of the reanimating evil ocean/lake (directly bordering it). Like a small peaceful oasis among the danger.
2. Surrounded by evil reanimating lands from 2-3 sides. So reanimated animals may roam in from the edge.
3. Goblins as neighbors are preferable, other civilizations nearby are good too. Dwarf civilization NOT EXTINCT.
4. At least one level of caverns.
3  Deep soil (4 levels)
5. Biome doesn't matter (as long as it is flat)

Thank you in advance.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 05:17:07 pm by Aelwen »

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: April 19, 2021, 11:04:28 am »

This embark location & world appears to match, I think:
Spoiler: aelwen (click to show/hide)
If not, let me know what isn't quite right, or describe each tile of the ideal 4x4 layout, by biome/feature.

Aelwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: April 20, 2021, 10:48:00 am »

If not, let me know what isn't quite right, or describe each tile of the ideal 4x4 layout, by biome/feature.

Thank you but it seems to me you created an evil embark itself.

I asked for a Good/Neutral 4x4 embark between the evil ocean/lake and some evil reanimating biome. Oasis. It is ok if one corner of the embark will be evil but it should be Mostly good/neutral.

Smth like this. I've tried multiple generations but still can't find smth similar. Either there is not such territory or there is too little soil  (I search for deep soil) or the civilization is dead. :-[
https://i.postimg.cc/3Js7VyMG/Tile.jpg
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 10:51:26 am by Aelwen »

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: April 20, 2021, 12:25:56 pm »

Ok, that's clear enough, Aelwen, but your second requirement of:

2. Surrounded by evil reanimating lands from 2-3 sides. So any caravan who will arrive will have to move through those lands.

To the best of my knowledge, if you don't have those evil/reanimating biomes included as part of the embark, the caravan will simply (most likely) arrive on the good/neutral 14/16 tiles of the embark area.
I mean, finding a mostly good/neutral 4x4 with one tile ocean and one tile evil isn't that big of a deal, but I don't think what you've drawn/described will achieve your 2nd goal?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: April 20, 2021, 01:01:48 pm »

As vjek said, a caravan passing through evil terrain outside of the embark achieves nothing, as nothing actually interacts with the environment outside of the embark.
Caravans can arrive on evil tiles of an embark, but if most tiles are not evil the odds are against that (you can make constructions that block avenues of entrance, though), and they can't arrive on a coastal evil water tile in the water.
Also, you can get evil edges by having "incursions" of the biome of surrounding tiles to get the edges evil but the interior of the tiles non evil, but it's a lot of work to find these cases (it can be hacked immediately prior to embark, though).
However, passing through evil terrain doesn't do anything special unless you happen to get evil weather just when the caravan is entering or leaving, although undead critters entering through an evil edge can roam over the whole embark (i.e. not just the evil parts).

Perhaps this should be attacked from a different angle, namely what you want your embark to achieve and then work from there to figure out how to achieve that (or whether it can't be achieved with a reasonable effort).
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 32