Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 381 382 [383] 384 385 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 478536 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19:Son of the Mask edition
« Reply #5730 on: August 19, 2021, 01:08:36 pm »

I'm pretty darn stressed about the pandemic today. It just feels like my life's being wasted. And nothing really bad has even happened to me . . .
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5731 on: August 19, 2021, 01:39:42 pm »

Dude, your life is not wasted. You are a teacher, a very important and needed member of your comunity and a apreciated member here. This too shall pass, hold on only a bit longer.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5732 on: August 19, 2021, 01:41:39 pm »

Thank you. Right. It will be only a couple more weeks until I work with kids again, which always helps me get a firmer grip on life :)
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #5733 on: August 19, 2021, 03:00:13 pm »

I feel that- if I may tirade, culturally and capitalistically, we place a lot of value in what we're able to do and accomplish for capitalism, which has proven quite antithetical to the doldrums a global pandemic has thrown us into. Unfortunately, we sell off our self-worth first , which is really unfair to each and all of us. You got this!

Moreso related to the pandemic- a nearby county has re-enacted mask mandates for everyone over the age of two. Participation was really good while I was out that way, but it started very recently. We'll see how long that holds, anyways. Tensions do seem to be rising again.

Oh, NPR told me today that mid-late September is about when experts figure it will be time for booster shots, with the recommendation that anyone that's had Pfizer or Moderna get whatever booster they have to offer eight months after having received the second jab.

Nothing to report about the J&J jab, except that I think they're working on a booster of their own but I don't recall where or when I heard that or what any recommendations are from experts. Which is, well, not surprising, since J&J recipients are like 3% of the vaccines administered and we all know how well medical science and minority groups go together.

Here's a New York Times article asking about J&J boosters, but it boils down to 'we don't know.' Pop this sucker open in incognito to avoid paywalling.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5734 on: August 19, 2021, 05:43:38 pm »

We both subscribed to the gummit vaccination program, still suspicious they asked on the web if we were subscribed to the party or not, but someone I know close got the two doses of the sinovac one (or so they told him) and so far so good.

It's a gamble, I really don't know what we are gonna get, the russian one ran out here and the second dose will not be given to anyone, but any vaccine is better than anything, specially with the delta variant and black fungus now.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #5735 on: August 19, 2021, 07:04:57 pm »

I mean hey vec, so far as plague stress goes wherever you're at probably isn't at 3x its case load compared to where it was last year, right? Look on the bright side, you could be where I'm at inatead :-\

p.s. fuck desantis

fuck desantis with a nail studded palm tree
« Last Edit: August 19, 2021, 07:06:36 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5736 on: August 19, 2021, 07:19:28 pm »

Or you could be were I am, no vaccine or even steady job.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5737 on: August 19, 2021, 07:50:35 pm »

Yeah, it's less that my situation is bad in an absolute sense (it really isn't. I'm probably in the best possible situation I could think of these days) and more that I'm somewhat mentally unstable and benefit a lot from being around people. In situations where the people around me didn't have the time or volition to help take care of me part of the time I would probably be dead, heh.

StrawBarrel

• Bay Watcher
  • I do not use social media regularly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5738 on: August 20, 2021, 04:23:38 am »

I feel that- if I may tirade, culturally and capitalistically, we place a lot of value in what we're able to do and accomplish for capitalism, which has proven quite antithetical to the doldrums a global pandemic has thrown us into. Unfortunately, we sell off our self-worth first , which is really unfair to each and all of us. You got this!
very good point
Max avatar size is 80x80

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #5739 on: August 21, 2021, 12:39:55 pm »

Ready for some fun news?

Florida isn't doing so hot! The governor is threatening to pull funding from schools that enforce mask mandates against DeSantis' edicts against mandates commensurate with the salaries of the schools' schoolboards. Here's the article.

Even better yet, Orlando's going into a water emergency and asking residents to cut back on water usage (lawns, carwash, etc), since the hospitals are using a lot of the liquid oxygen available to ventilate Covid patients and that liquid oxygen is ordinarily used to purify its water. Someone mentioned that they're going into a 'boil water' advisory today, but I don't see an article for that yet. Here's the scoop.

Stay safe, Floridians.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5740 on: August 21, 2021, 02:15:41 pm »

New Zeland is going back to total quarantine?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5741 on: August 21, 2021, 03:07:30 pm »

New Zeland is going back to total quarantine?

Well, they had...
...a planned 3-day period over that one (connectionless) case that should have ended by now, but it sounds like they found some(?) more in Wellington that they can't trace obvious links for. (It's not reported on BBC News, SFAICT, but I saw it in passing on some other news-site's sidebar, without time to check it out fully or remember where.)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #5742 on: August 21, 2021, 06:11:58 pm »

Ready for some fun news?

Florida isn't doing so hot! The governor is threatening to pull funding from schools that enforce mask mandates against DeSantis' edicts against mandates commensurate with the salaries of the schools' schoolboards. Here's the article.

Even better yet, Orlando's going into a water emergency and asking residents to cut back on water usage (lawns, carwash, etc), since the hospitals are using a lot of the liquid oxygen available to ventilate Covid patients and that liquid oxygen is ordinarily used to purify its water. Someone mentioned that they're going into a 'boil water' advisory today, but I don't see an article for that yet. Here's the scoop.

Stay safe, Floridians.
Florida hasn't been doing so hot since the plague started. At this point I don't think it's conceivable that changes unless something final happens to our governership and legislature :-\
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5743 on: August 21, 2021, 07:26:23 pm »

This article https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/aug/21/this-isnt-surprising-jacinda-ardern-warns-new-zealanders-to-remain-calm-as-covid-cases-rise (from yesterday) gives a pretty good overview of the situation in New Zealand right now.

Direct answer to the initial question:
The country is in day four of a national lockdown, which will probably need to be extended beyond the planned seven days.

What that quarantine amounts to can be seen here: https://covid19.govt.nz/alert-levels-and-updates/alert-level-4/

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5744 on: August 21, 2021, 08:02:11 pm »

Florida hasn't been doing so hot since the plague started.
Florida hasn't been doing so hot since Florida started.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.
Pages: 1 ... 381 382 [383] 384 385 ... 459