Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 344 345 [346] 347 348 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 478244 times)

thompson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread: COVID-19:One year of this terror Edition
« Reply #5175 on: February 08, 2021, 06:45:10 pm »

Ideally, people would just take two vaccines, the less effective one if it’s available sooner, then the more effective one. Provided people understand this is how it works there’s no issue with a vaccine that offers only moderate protection. It’s not as if the alternative is everyone staying at home for as long as required.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5176 on: February 09, 2021, 12:54:11 am »

Ultimately, I see Covid (and its mutant strains), being "A new flu", in terms of needing yearly vacc.

This is because of its high contagion rate, animal reservoir populations, and consistent stupid human behaviors.

The upshot is that the global population will cease being "naive" to the pathogen, and so over time, the infection will become more like flu in how people's bodies respond to it.  (at least in theory, we need clinical data over time to verify that.) 

Improvements in treatment regimens, antiviral drugs, and things of that nature will also help turn this page in history, but I forsee Covid sticking around long-haul, like Flu.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #5177 on: February 09, 2021, 03:17:39 am »

Fuck it, 2020 was a write-off, my lease is up at the end of June, what's another year of my life among friends nobody anyways? I can probably manage it on my savings...

I'mmah take Poo's expertise on this one if only to assuage my fears, never mind that it's his job to know this stuff. We've learned an awful lot about coronaviruses in a small amount of time, surely cutting-edge knowledge can keep atop the matter even if social and economic leaders cannot?
Dont take my word for it. Nobody knows this stuff man. And I was fucking wrong back in February 2020 when I thought Euro goverments had a plan for all this and we'd be spared the ghastly scenes happening elsewhere. For what I've reading  I tend to think... well, the way I think. But I'd not be too surprised if suddenly they told us that so-and-so vaccine worked worse than previously thought against some variety or other. I do expect some degree of protection for the foreseeable future. I mean, the vaccines make you non-naive and common sense suggests that has to count for something. But again, who knows.

I tend to agree with what wierd and thompson said. I think making people non-naive to covid would be an advantage in itself.  That being said, the AZ vaccine looks worse and worse.
Ultimately, I see Covid (and its mutant strains), being "A new flu", in terms of needing yearly vacc.

This is because of its high contagion rate, animal reservoir populations, and consistent stupid human behaviors.

The upshot is that the global population will cease being "naive" to the pathogen, and so over time, the infection will become more like flu in how people's bodies respond to it.  (at least in theory, we need clinical data over time to verify that.) 

Improvements in treatment regimens, antiviral drugs, and things of that nature will also help turn this page in history, but I forsee Covid sticking around long-haul, like Flu.

Ideally, people would just take two vaccines, the less effective one if it’s available sooner, then the more effective one. Provided people understand this is how it works there’s no issue with a vaccine that offers only moderate protection. It’s not as if the alternative is everyone staying at home for as long as required.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2021, 04:08:29 am by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5178 on: February 09, 2021, 12:27:23 pm »

The oldest person alive in Europe, a french nun, has survived a covid infection and will be celebrating her 117th birthday this week.

EDIT: in other news, travellers from the 33 countries that are designated high risk by the UK, will need to quarantaine in a hotel for 10 days upon arrival in the UK. The costs for this, 2000 euros will need to be paid for by the travellers themselves. Included with the fee are transport to the hotel, and a corona test.

People will need to stay inside their hotel rooms at all times. Guards will be deployed to the hotels to prevent escapes. Windows will be sealed.
Non-conformation will be punished by 10 years in prison.  The stay in prison will be paid for by the british government though.

The tourism and air travel sectors expect to be hit very hard by this measure.

EDIT2: I wonder.... Does this measure apply to truck drivers delivering and picking up cargo in the UK as well? I hope transport companies have spare trucks and drivers, or Europe-wide logistics will grind to a halt when all lorries are parked on a UK parking terrain for 10 days.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2021, 12:44:26 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5179 on: February 09, 2021, 08:41:19 pm »

EDIT2: I wonder.... Does this measure apply to truck drivers delivering and picking up cargo in the UK as well? I hope transport companies have spare trucks and drivers, or Europe-wide logistics will grind to a halt when all lorries are parked on a UK parking terrain for 10 days.
Realistically, it can be done.  Tractor trailers can drop off container(or trailer) at location and some local would in turn use their tractor trailer to take it.  Is like a relay race instead of a marathon.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5180 on: February 10, 2021, 03:41:46 am »

Japan will likely need to throw away millions of doses of the Pfizer vaccin.
They don't have enough of the special syringes that can get a 6th dose out of the bottle.

Meanwhile, over here, some vaccinations will have to be redone. The Pfizer vaccin has not been transported correctly, and those vaccinated will possibly not be protected. The vaccine needs to be tranported cold, and stable. Shaking it can destroy it.
It turned out that some locations in my country had the vaccin transported by ..... snackbar vans.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5181 on: February 10, 2021, 03:48:50 am »

snackbar vans.
Is that like an ice cream truck?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5182 on: February 10, 2021, 03:58:54 am »

Basically, yes, but than with french fries, hamburgers, kroketten and frikadellen.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5183 on: February 10, 2021, 04:13:12 am »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5184 on: February 10, 2021, 05:08:24 am »

No that's German.

EDIT: in other news, antivaxers and covidiots are ecstacic. The German ministry of internal affairs has admitted that it ordered their country's scientist to exaggerate the dangers of corona, at the start of the epidemic last year.
This was discovered and published in die Welt yesterday.

Today, left wing party die Linke will summon the ministers to explain themselves.
Experts fear that this will trigger an avalanche of anti corona protests and convert many people to the psychotic loony camp.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2021, 05:15:15 am by martinuzz »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5185 on: February 10, 2021, 05:20:46 am »

Why would Germans do that? Why would they do that and then not take it seriously?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5186 on: February 10, 2021, 05:34:12 am »

Their argument was that it would prepare the population to more easily accept strong lockdown measures

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #5187 on: February 10, 2021, 05:36:37 am »

No that's German.

Mountain German to be exact. Germans consist of several kin: Mountain Germans, Hill Germans, River Germans, Slav Germans (angrily protesting to this day that they are not German, the silly Germans), and the angriest; Marsh Germans. Also known as Deep Germans as some Marsh Germans have angrily decided they are going to live below the water line and there is nothing anyone can do to stop them once a Marsh German gets it in their head to do something

EDIT: in other news, antivaxers and covidiots are ecstacic. The German ministry of internal affairs has admitted that it ordered their country's scientist to exaggerate the dangers of corona, at the start of the epidemic last year.
This was discovered and published in die Welt yesterday.

Today, left wing party die Linke will summon the ministers to explain themselves.
Experts fear that this will trigger an avalanche of anti corona protests and convert many people to the psychotic loony camp.

Well. Fuck.
Love, scriver~

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5188 on: February 10, 2021, 05:37:39 am »

I mean, did they really need to exaggerate given how bad the reality is anyway? Really stupid move.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5189 on: February 10, 2021, 05:51:36 am »

What about the forest German? The underground Germans? The high Germans, the Dark Germans...?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!
Pages: 1 ... 344 345 [346] 347 348 ... 459