Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 337 338 [339] 340 341 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 478466 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread: COVID-19:One year of this terror Edition
« Reply #5070 on: January 31, 2021, 10:06:05 am »

Germany has deployed the army to Portugal, to help cope with the crisis.
Portugal only has 7 ICU beds (out of 850) left for new corona patients.

A team of 27 medics will be deployed for at least 3 weeks. The German army also sends field hospital beds and respirators.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 10:07:43 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5071 on: January 31, 2021, 10:39:26 am »

Bottom line, wash your fucking hands and stay safe people.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #5072 on: January 31, 2021, 10:56:28 am »

I dont know what the hell is happening in Portugal. They were doing well.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5073 on: January 31, 2021, 10:59:09 am »

New strain? The strain?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5074 on: January 31, 2021, 11:03:00 am »

I can't even picture the fridge horror those parents had dying thinking about their children being left alone.... fuck. Horror stuff for my nigthmares, like if they needed more.

There was a story here about a baby being left alone in the house after its mother died from coronavirus. Scary shit.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5075 on: January 31, 2021, 12:07:01 pm »

I can't even picture the fridge horror those parents had dying thinking about their children being left alone.... fuck. Horror stuff for my nigthmares, like if they needed more.

There was a story here about a baby being left alone in the house after its mother died from coronavirus. Scary shit.

Yeah, we're starting to look like 1918 style pandemic :-\
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #5076 on: January 31, 2021, 12:27:43 pm »

Starting to look? This has been a shit horror  show for a year now
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5077 on: January 31, 2021, 12:38:00 pm »

Specifically the parents dying and leaving infants alone in the house thing.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #5078 on: January 31, 2021, 12:59:10 pm »

Well, we had people locked in with corpses as early as march.  I daresay these horrors have been happening all along

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5079 on: January 31, 2021, 02:15:06 pm »

Fucking depresive.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5080 on: January 31, 2021, 04:23:14 pm »

Early deployment of overwhelming police force seems to have prevented the riots in my city today. The city centre was covered in police vans, motor cops, cavalry and more. Anyone out on the streets who didn't have a valid reason to be in the centre was asked to leave, and if they refused, arrested.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5081 on: February 01, 2021, 12:44:52 am »

The overall thing I have seen, is that people (by and large, regardless of nation or locality) do not register how "oh fuckity fuck fuck!" this pandemic actually is, and instead focus exclusively on "But my FEELS!".

this results in things like the mass histrionics and riots in Martinuzz' neck of the woods, the "Mask protests" and "lockdown anger" in the US, the "Relief and aid denialism" from world governments, refusing to wake up to the reality, and hoping it will just dry up and blow away (which it wont.) and a WHOLE FUCKING LOT OF DEATH.

I consider this a microcosm of how the world will respond to the up-coming "super crisis" of climate change; Even more, more stringent, and stalwart denial, with even more death--- but because we have air conditioning, it's fine. "nothing to worry about."

It's also why I feel we will just ignore the breeder-reactor we have in the US with how we concentrate cattle populations on feedlots, just so they can be fat marbled. (and the ABSURDLY HUGE disease risk this poses.)

There is a common thread:

If a necessary mitigation requires even a tiny bit of adversity or undesirable change in a population's indolent habits, that necessary mitigation will *NEVER* happen any other way than by gunpoint. (and even then, it will have mass riots, protests, and large collateral consequences)

This kind of repeat pattern only reinforces my nascent misanthropy.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #5082 on: February 01, 2021, 01:18:43 am »

Eh... plague wise and for what it's worth, for all we have way more stupid typhoid mary shit going on than there should be, from what I understand overall compliance and whatnot has actually been pretty high, from what folks have been able to piece together? Better than pluralities of most populations at least trying, to the best of their understanding and means, to avoid spreading the plague.

It's just the homicidally suicidal nergal worshippers are pretty goddamn noticeable (and have way too fucking much media influence spreading mis- and dis-information), unfortunately, and a lot of folks don't really have the means for strict observation. It's not a wash, but as the mounds of corpses attests to, it could, y'know, be better :-\
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5083 on: February 01, 2021, 03:00:47 am »

no no, that is lazy thinking.

At least here for the US, you have several demographics, and their associated worldviews, all converging on a single set of outcomes, that is HIGHLY deleterious.

1), the GOP in general has a toxic "market religion", with a primary tenet that anything and everything that discourages them and their rich donors getting even more money out of the market, is "OMG, UNTHINKABLE HERESY!"

As such, *ANY* kind of government spending that is NOT "directly given to either them (through an intermediary) or to one of their crony friends", is simply **UNTHINKABLE!!!**.  Likewise, increasing taxes on any of the above is *DOUBLY UNTHINKABLE!!*   Since this fucking WORLD-WIDE, INTERNATIONAL-EMERGENCY is costing the whole goddamn planet, not only unspeakable losses in human life and suffering, but also protracted economic fallout that will persist for likely a whole damn generation, the notion of "We really need to mitigate this NOW, and not drag our feet, and drop some mitigation NOW, to limit the consequences of the endgame" makes the most total sense, but **NOT** to a GOP die-hard.  See, to THEM, people ending up dead is "Just nature", and they cling like frenzied madmen to their religious dogmas: TAXCUTS FOR THE WEALTHY, PORK FOR THEIR CONSTITUENTS, and LITTLE PEOPLE DON'T MATTER. 

This is why in the US, those idiots are trumpeting a 2/3 cut in relief, (THAT IS INTENDED TO KEEP THE ECONOMY FUCKING ALIVE, SO THE END HIT IS LESS!!) as a valid "Compromise."  (with the majority of the spending they decided to keep, going to themselves through intermediates, or to their direct cronies, and FUCK THE SMALL PEOPLE, they should just die.) 

2) The indolent masses are squeezed by the above kinds of situation, (at least in the US)-- leaving them no breathing room to deviate from it (which our GOP friends consider "ideal"), and even if they could, their habituation makes them unwilling to, by and large.  A reasonable portion of the public does have the combination of capability, and where-with-all to be proactive and make the necessary adjustments, and do what is needed in this crunch, but the real reality is that *BEFORE* the pandemic, more than 50% of our population was already so hamstrung that they could not survive the loss of a single paycheck without going into poverty. (Again, see item 1.)  They lack the elasticity to handle not being a "plague bearer".  The added stresses of doing right, and complying with the lockdown, puts them past their psychological breaking point, which is why they freak the fuck out, and then riot-- why they shirk the pandemic requirements to go get drunk-- (They simply cannot cope while sober, they are chemically dependent on the clubbing, and thrill seeking, even under NORMAL conditions!) 

3) Then, on top of those, you have the actual "nergal worshipers", who worship the GOP types like they were gods-- and suckle up to them. (Like Qanon, and co.. See also, Trump's lunatic following) who have the same toxic "religion" about the market and where money should be going, despite the fact that it is fucking killing them in droves. (and the statistic that this is close to 50% of the goddamn population)

When you combine the statistics, with the financially imperiled 50% being equally divided among political affiliates, along with the near 50% split on political affiliations and their ideologies, you end up with greater than 50% that either WILL NOT, or CANNOT comply with the necessary mitigations.

The same will be true later, for climate change, and the same will be true for any other disaster that could happen along.

This recurring trend to never actually, you know, REALIZE THIS, and FUCKING DO SOMETHING TO FIX IT, rather than just turning to blatant name-calling and exclusionary politics, will only fucking doom the planet.

Misanthropy Intensifies.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5084 on: February 01, 2021, 05:02:42 am »

With all the governments being stupid should we start handing out copies of that Civil Defense pamphlet that tells you how to dispose of a dead body?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?
Pages: 1 ... 337 338 [339] 340 341 ... 459