Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 273 274 [275] 276 277 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 478376 times)

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site

Random cynical thought - is the purpose of reopening schools to create a pool of strong antibody plasma for older people to harvest?
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Don't start with that one, the Qanons already think Hillary Clinton harvests children's brains for their adrenochrome to stay young (and my oh my when you look at her you can tell it's working. She doesn't look a day over 87).
« Last Edit: August 24, 2020, 04:36:15 am by Reelya »

forumist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I honestly think Spain is heading to another lockdown. And I dont think any country can safely reopen schools.

Regarding the second wave in Europe, I think it will be/is much less steep than the first one, it hits primarily a more healthy part of the population, and hospitals are hopefully better prepared, allowing some time to adjust policies progressively.

I don't know for Spain, but in France, some people are still unable to understand that removing your mask in the suburb train to talk on the phone is not best practice, but most people wear it correctly, and this should make an important difference with respect to the situation in March.

Schools are supposed to re-open soon, and workers will be back from summer vacation, so it is likely the virus will circulate faster, but I have hopes that a strong country-wide lockdown will not be necessary.
Don't quote me on that.
Cacame channels aquifers into submission by staring at them. Cacame is so badass, kobolds give him their children to leave them alone. If Hidden Fun Stuff digs too far down, they hit Cacame. Cacame once took a Tantrum Spiral and impaled four enemies on it.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile

Le Tour starts in 5 days.  I am aghast.   :o

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile

Schools are supposed to re-open soon, and workers will be back from summer vacation, so it is likely the virus will circulate faster, but I have hopes that a strong country-wide lockdown will not be necessary

I don't have any faith. Deaths and ICU admissions are slowly going up. They tripled between 3 and 14 of August.

I think many western goverments are in wilful denial as to how fast the virus is spreading.

Simple truth is that many activities where people wont be compliant with social distancing or masking were allowed for economic reasons. And the time to restrict those was four weeks ago. The more they wait the more restrictions they'll need. And since noone is doing anything I suspect they'll end up panicking sometime next month when its way too late and we'll end up in lockdown #2: covid strikes back
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile

Researchers in Hong-Kong have confirmed a 33-yr-old man had reinfection of COVID after 4.5 months. They were able to do so because he had traveled abroad to Europe, and in sequencing the virus they found it was of the strain circulating in Europe in July and August and not the one he had originally been infected with, proving it could not be due to viral shedding.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile

We'll see. There were some isolated suspected csses in the past. The real question is how often dles it happen.  :/

If it stays for now at "a few random dudes" levels it doesnt necessarily follow that we'll get mass reinfections.

I'm guessing folks will lose immunity sooner or later, however, so yeah, the so-called "herd immunity" strategies are bs
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile

From that article though:

"The 33-year-old man had only mild symptoms the first time, and no symptoms this time around."

This means he didn't have COVID-19 twice. It means he had SARS-CoV-2 positive results twice, with two different strains.

I would actually be more interested in using this person as a basis for understanding mild/asymptomatic presentation. So even though he wasn't "immune", he wasn't (apparently) impacted by carrying the virus around.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Was he still spreading like a typical plague bearer in round 2?
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile

What I meant is, if you can turn everyone into a person that may carry and spread the virus, but suffer no disease from it, isn't that also an acceptable state?

Maybe that's an impossible scenario biologically, I dunno.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

I mean, if the fatality rate wasn't like ten flus stacked on top of each other and it didn't cause debilitating sickness and possibly permanent physiological damage in significant amounts of the people that don't just outright die, we probably wouldn't be particularly concerned about it, sure.

S'just, y'know. Those things. That happen to plenty of people that don't have mild reactions. Who can get infected by people with mild reactions.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2020, 01:33:23 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile

I think he means "Once everyone has caught crow plague at least once, reinfection and subsequent tenure as asymptomatic carrier is benign (for the carrier)--- and if everyone has already been infected once before, it means total accute cases will be low. (because people you DO infect, will be asymptomatic)

That assumes this guy's response is typical though, and asymptomatic carriers are the norm after initial hard infection.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile

Would fit some other stuff. The guys from recent covid-cell-immunity study hypothesized that maybe at least some of the asymptomatic cases were driven by previous exposure to other coronaviruses.

In no way did they advocate jumping to the conclusion that it was so, subjecting public health policy or indeed personal exposure to this hypothesis. I think that still stands. Even if further infections are milder, we should still try as hard as possible to control the ongoing outbreaks.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile

What I meant is, if you can turn everyone into a person that may carry and spread the virus, but suffer no disease from it, isn't that also an acceptable state?

Maybe that's an impossible scenario biologically, I dunno.
Unclear and unknown. Up until now we hadn't even been sure it was possible to be reinfected to begin with. Whether or not it is more mild is unclear from a singular confirmed case; it's within the bounds of probability that one might get a mild disease then no visible symptoms if the severity of each were entirely unrelated (it's not much weirder than flipping a coin and getting heads twice).

Rather this is notable because up until now it wasn't clear whether this was actually a thing. Discussing the possible results of reinfection wasn't very useful if we weren't sure it could happen. Now we know beyond a reasonable doubt it can be... but don't know what it means (although future reinfections will probably be easier to research since we know it can happen).

wierd is right. We can't say too much information about the nature of reinfection yet... only that it does occur, and that in at least one case it was asymptomatic. Best case scenario: guaranteed milder form. But even could mean that people who had a near-deadly experience may still have a tough time with reinfection. And worst case is something like "each reinfection is an independent throw of the dice".
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile

no, cly worst case is "its gets worse each time" and this one was just a fluke
Pages: 1 ... 273 274 [275] 276 277 ... 459