Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 222 223 [224] 225 226 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 477846 times)

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread: COVID-19: Ride the Wave, Dude! Edition
« Reply #3345 on: June 22, 2020, 09:52:59 am »

Europe still leads in deaths, but I don’t expect that to last.

Only because the US has quit reporting cause of death.

"The US" is a big place.  My state is still reporting "probable" infections and deaths.  But even those numbers are low - it's literally been more than 100 days since my state started its social distancing protocols though.  We are just starting to lift some restrictions, so it will be interesting to see what happens even with these supposed "fudged" numbers.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3346 on: June 23, 2020, 03:04:27 am »

Australia just got a second 'big' outbreak. Double digit numbers of cases in Victoria. Damn it, so close!

And poor New Zealand, you let one Brit in and they ruin the place. Think they'd have learnt their lesson back in the 19th century.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3347 on: June 23, 2020, 03:39:44 am »

The WHO warns that, despite things looking up in European countries, on a global scale the pandemic is only getting worse.
Where it took more than 3 months for the first million people to be infected, the latest million infections occurred in only 8 days.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3348 on: June 23, 2020, 06:53:55 am »

Huh. It keeps that up, and the upside to this whole mess is we'll finally have found proof FTL (transmission speed goes below zero seconds or somethin') is possible, and the theory of spontaneous generation will see a revival as the plague starts creating people ex nihilo to infect.

I don't welcome our reality breaking crow virus overlords, but I'd at least feel less bad about our species getting collectively shitkicked by them. Somewhat less bad. Maybe a little.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3349 on: June 23, 2020, 08:53:46 am »

Is Murrica still playing theatre with the TSA?  Or have they actually stepped up?  I haven’t been to an airport to see.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3350 on: June 23, 2020, 09:48:27 am »

Dunno. Last I heard anything about airports, they were packing people into small rooms for hours *shrugs*

The concept of the TSA stepping up is pretty laughable, tho', so I'd image it's not going well.
Ask not!
Ask!

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3351 on: June 23, 2020, 10:22:28 am »

I think stepping up refers to them getting close enough to do the full molestation pat down if you request it rather than the dick measuring machine.

I got no shame and am happy with my sitch down there so I'd definitely fluff beforehand and request the patdown. "Uh, sir... what is that" 'Dunno, give it a couple more passes and see what happens?' "That's weird, sir." 'Hey you're the one with rubber gloves on feeling up my junk, you telling me you don't have an erection?' "How dare you!" 'Oop, not allowed to get mad you piece of shit, you work at the TSA, they only hire subhuman trolls. *pinch, poke* you owe me a coke!'

Incidentally it seems like the knowledge that there would be protests and probable teargassing and such going on in various cities meant people changed their habits and stayed in more and on average it looks like the protests are not only goddamn justified and notably embarrassing those defending the status quo: they have actually helped quash infection rates due to the changed behaviors and damn near ubiquitous mask wearing by protestors.

Also, given the use of citations you can check and whatnot it matters less if various governments are less forthcoming because there are lots of different ways to cross check the various information heaps to sift out something closer to reality.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/ says the US is at 2.39 megacases and Europe is only at 2.33 megacases so far, 122 kilodeaths here vs 188 kilodeaths there, nearing half a megadeath globally in large part due to our awesomeness at failing early, failing often, and apparently learning little from the experience.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3353 on: June 23, 2020, 12:17:21 pm »

Kilodeath, the wannabe cover band for Megadeath.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3354 on: June 23, 2020, 12:29:04 pm »

Considering Megadeth and Metallica are like dads and grandparents now, I think Kilodeth is a good name for the band their kids make unless they properly remetal and bust out some master of puppets shit, then they can be Gigadeth.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3355 on: June 23, 2020, 01:17:51 pm »

*day before some public offices open back up to the public*

*confirmed county cases spike a solid 25% overnight*

*despairing laughter*
Ask not!
Ask!

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3356 on: June 23, 2020, 03:48:58 pm »

Considering Megadeth and Metallica are like dads and grandparents now, I think Kilodeth is a good name for the band their kids make unless they properly remetal and bust out some master of puppets shit, then they can be Gigadeth.
Teradeath when.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3357 on: June 23, 2020, 03:57:06 pm »

No no no.

You gotta be geekier, and throw in a pun.

MebiDeth.  Abbreviated as Mi[skull emoji]

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3358 on: June 23, 2020, 05:06:57 pm »

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/trump-coronavirus-testing-slow-down-press-conference-today-arizona-a9581306.html
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So, from what I read in that (see off-topic complaint in that spoiler), he's doubling down. Well, if he's still trying to get people to vote for him then it's probably the kind of people who understand (or care to understand) the situation as little as he appears to.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3359 on: June 23, 2020, 06:03:55 pm »

There is a disconnect here.

Trump is not operating in "The REAL world".  Trump is operating in the "HyperNormalization World".  The REAL world has things like "The testing numbers being accurate helps you make sound policy!" in it, where the HyperNormalization world, has "The outcome of testing can be whatever we say it should be, and our policy can reflect that at will, if we control all sources of testing and testing rates." in it.

I think the linked documentary should be required viewing when contemplating Trump and his "Administration".   The HyperNormalization world is all about managing public PERCEPTIONS-- and PERCEPTIONS are intrinsically disconnected from any objective sources of truth.  Example: Most people would find the idea of eating ditch weeds abhorrent, even though there are some that are not only nutritious, but also tasty.  The objective fact is that those plants are delicious and tasty, and there is no reason not to eat them.  The PERCEPTION is that those plants are in some way toxic, or undesirable. 

Another disconnect with perception vs objectively-real, is racism.  The racist harbors perceptions about another demographic that are incongruent with the objective reality that persons with different skin color are exactly the same kind of being that they are, with a minor physical variation.

Dealing with actual objectively-real situations, rather than the mass-perceptions of a public audience, leads to "Necessary but politically unpopular" actions being forced to be taken, which leads to political suicide.  (You know, like ACTUALLY DOING THE RIGHT THING in regards to climate change.)  If instead, you can alter public mass-perception (such as via controlling the media, or redefining academic sources of information, et al), you can introduce whatever policy you want, and still retain popular support.  Governance is "waaaaaay Easier(tm)".

The COVID-19 situation is an Objectively-Real problem that cannot be ignored out of existence, and intrudes into the HyperNormalized Reality perniciously.  Trump wants to try to mitigate that intrusion, through under-representing it, and then spinning it in the media.  This is why his rhetoric about "Double edgedness" concerning testing can be seen as cogent. (To people that want to deal with the objectively-real, his statement is absurd. There is no beneficial side to inaccurate test data, it is beyond useless for any objectively real application. In the HyperNormalized world, however, inaccurate test data allows you to keep economies open, and to marginalize the deathrates through failure to report about them in the public consciousness, and continue with status-quo operations, which is "Very beneficial". (ahem. If you don't mind murdering potentially millions of people in the second degree to accomplish it.) )

Trump is VERY CLEARLY operating in the HyperNormalized world.
Pages: 1 ... 222 223 [224] 225 226 ... 459