Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 218 219 [220] 221 222 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 477492 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread: COVID-19: Ride the Wave, Dude! Edition
« Reply #3285 on: June 05, 2020, 05:50:51 pm »

Haha the Netherlands is not South Europe.
South Europe begins somewhere halfway down the southern part of France.
Netherlands, Germany, Denmark etc. are usually classified as Western Europe.

Saying the Netherlands is in the south part of Europe is like saying Canada in the south part of the US (Netherlands is at about the same latitude as Quebec, slightly more to the north even)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2020, 06:03:23 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3286 on: June 05, 2020, 08:00:13 pm »

As Denmark is best europe (like on the very short list of places where if someone said "hey we just got you citizenship and a home in ________" I'd go 'fuckin' right on' and move without even looking at the house, Denmark is right there at the top) I'd say if it's north of there, it's north europe, south of there is south europe, so back when the USSR was a thing, they were just talking about south germany and less south germany, that east and west bullshit is absurd, it's right fucking there below Denmark!

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #3287 on: June 06, 2020, 09:31:42 am »

Great news here in Brazil! The president ordered the day's statistics on new infections and deaths to be delayed to 10pm to avoid the most watched news program reporting on it.
The network replied by throwing a news alert with the numbers during the most watched telenovela.
Today the panel is 'under maintenance' and shows nothing.
The SUS Coronavirus app had it's "Epidemiological Situation" tab removed also.

Sorry, I meant bad. Bad news.
In a time before time, I had a name.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3288 on: June 07, 2020, 02:20:08 pm »

Jeez, this river-walk park on the outskirts of town has cars parked like a mile up the road from the parking lot. I know it's a nice day but wow. Also, Wendy's employee had no gloves or mask >:
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3289 on: June 08, 2020, 03:11:23 pm »

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/08/business/hospitals-bailouts-ceo-pay.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage

Perhaps more important than abolishing police forces, it is about time CEO's were abolished.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3290 on: June 08, 2020, 04:40:52 pm »

Probably wouldn't hurt! I've said it before, but I'd give even odds our healthcare system would improve if we'd just straight up behead every health insurance CEO and top hospital admin. Firing them all and taking most of their money (plow it back into paying worker salaries for a bit or somethin') would probably work even better, ha.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3291 on: June 09, 2020, 08:59:59 am »

"Chlorox is like bad medicine.
Bad Medicine is what I need."

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #3292 on: June 09, 2020, 09:52:18 am »

New York has exciting an exciting new phase: CONSTRUCTION and FORESTRY are BACK yo
(so pretty much nothing new for the average joe)
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3293 on: June 09, 2020, 12:01:26 pm »

What is this stuff from the WHO saying that "asymptomatic transmission is rare"?  How can the spread of infection be so high otherwise? Or are the "symptoms" things that most people think aren't symptoms?
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #3294 on: June 09, 2020, 12:16:17 pm »

What is this stuff from the WHO saying that "asymptomatic transmission is rare"?
They already walked that statement back, those bums!
Their new position is ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, who the fuck knows
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3295 on: June 09, 2020, 01:05:47 pm »

AIUI, it's that seemingly totally çcoronaproof' individuals who never become ill also have a very low likelihood of shedding significant virus during their short, silent battle.

But someone who is yet to show symptoms might still be silent-spreaders in the time before they realise they've 'caught'. (And, especially in the time before people even appreciated that we had a nu-flu on the go, that can still have driven the "asymptomatic spread" bit. Presymptomatic, is probably the better term for that.)

It's a subtle difference, that can't be properly looked at in real-time (not without arbitrary testing of everyone), but might be teased out from historical questioning.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3296 on: June 09, 2020, 01:42:44 pm »

According to a Korean study that is not months old and possibly outdated, most of the people who said they showed no symptoms turned out to, when asked about individual symptoms rather than a generic "are you showing any symptoms of flu/Corona", actually be showing symptoms of Corona.
Love, scriver~

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3297 on: June 10, 2020, 08:14:53 am »

Great news here in Brazil! The president ordered the day's statistics on new infections and deaths to be delayed to 10pm to avoid the most watched news program reporting on it.
The network replied by throwing a news alert with the numbers during the most watched telenovela.
Today the panel is 'under maintenance' and shows nothing.
The SUS Coronavirus app had it's "Epidemiological Situation" tab removed also.

Sorry, I meant bad. Bad news.

An update on that. Data's not only being delayed: they used the weekend to wipe the servers:

https://www.news.com.au/world/coronavirus/global/brazil-ordered-to-reinstate-coronavirus-data/news-story/b83bca501a664b1320f6e7420ecc782d
Brazil’s Health Ministry deleted troves of detailed data over the weekend and announced it would no longer publish the country’s daily cases or fatality figures.

In an attempt to cover up the crisis, the country’s health ministry wiped months of coronavirus data – a move they’ll now have to reverse.

In a statement posted to the Supreme Court website in the early hours of Tuesday, Justice Alexandre de Moraes said the Health Ministry must “fully re-establish the daily dissemination of epidemiological data on the COVID-19 pandemic”.

The government’s actions in recent days has made it “impossible” to monitor the spread of the virus and to implement adequate and necessary control and prevention policies, he said.

Good luck with getting the data back however. They've gone full coverup mode.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 08:17:54 am by Reelya »

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3298 on: June 10, 2020, 08:17:42 am »

If it's like the US, the States are the ones reporting individually to the national government, so there's still a chance.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3299 on: June 10, 2020, 09:49:20 am »

They already walked that statement back, those bums!
Their new position is ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, who the fuck knows
How in the world do you take a qualified comment about an ongoing research and the subsequent clarification as their 'position' or walking back on anything?

Throughout the pandemic, the communication chain seems to have been:
1. Scientist makes a nuanced statement
2. Media picks it up and filters it through a black-or-white lens
3. Public takes the distorted message and goes to town with it
4. Scientist decides to maybe make clearer what was said in the light of the above
5. Media presents clarification as walking back
6. Public sees conflicting messages; doesn't bother to make an effort to understand the original message; resolves cognitive dissonance by declaring scientists bums and frauds. What do they know anyway.

It's like playing telephone in kindergarten, only you get to call the first person shifty because the original message is not what you heard.
Pages: 1 ... 218 219 [220] 221 222 ... 459