Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 203 204 [205] 206 207 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 477371 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread: COVID-19: Super Stay Home Edition
« Reply #3060 on: May 11, 2020, 01:40:45 pm »

But seriously though, fold that shit up into the mask, extra layer of filtration I say!

I know my beard doesn't significantly allow air movement, because I can't wear sunglasses to drive while I'm wearing a mask. Instant fog-up.

Yeah.

Now try having to wear glasses to see god-damn anything and you’ll see my life.

Or not, because of all the fogging up.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #3061 on: May 11, 2020, 01:42:42 pm »

But seriously though, fold that shit up into the mask, extra layer of filtration I say!

I know my beard doesn't significantly allow air movement, because I can't wear sunglasses to drive while I'm wearing a mask. Instant fog-up.

Yeah.

Now try having to wear glasses to see god-damn anything and you’ll see my life.

Or not, because of all the fogging up.

The foggy dew
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #3062 on: May 11, 2020, 02:10:45 pm »

Scriver can you confirm this? Allegedly in Sweden covid19+ healthcare workers without symptoms are being sent to work

https://www.svt.se/nyheter/personal-pa-karolinska-uppmanas-jobba-aven-om-vi-ar-smittade
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3063 on: May 11, 2020, 02:43:10 pm »

Bit of anecdotal news:

The National Guard showed up at my nurse-wife's place of work last week. Her Exec Director was doing some shady unsafe stuff regarding Covid, she and the rest of the staff reported it, and the health dept. arrived to correct it. The National Guard accompanied them. This is America, so they showed up with like 18 military vehicles.

Stuff like forcing people who have Covid to work with higly-at-risk people, reusing sanitary supplies, and oh hey not disclosing covid cases or deaths that resulted thereof as required by law. Turns out that's super illegal. Glad it got taken care of in the end, though. Everyone got tested properly (they disallowed the exec director's doctor of choice from doing it, and ours personally came back negative) and things are much safer there now.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 03:29:38 pm by Dunamisdeos »
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3064 on: May 11, 2020, 03:22:54 pm »

This is America, so they showed up with like 18 military vehicles.

Knowing the guard, they probably started with 100 when they started the trip.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3065 on: May 11, 2020, 03:46:33 pm »

Scriver can you confirm this? Allegedly in Sweden covid19+ healthcare workers without symptoms are being sent to work

https://www.svt.se/nyheter/personal-pa-karolinska-uppmanas-jobba-aven-om-vi-ar-smittade

Yes, it seems true. Basically the hospital told employees to "if you test positive, go home" but then the documents also said "if you don't have symptoms, go to work" which employees interpreted as saying they should come to work even if positive without symptoms and contacted media.

Later the hospital confirmed this interpretation. They seem to be using some strange rationale that basically boils down to "you have to be symptom free to take the test. The test takes 2-3 days to resultate. If you're still symptom free when the test arrives, then you can be assumed to have been symptom free for at least two days, in which case you can return to work".
Love, scriver~

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #3066 on: May 11, 2020, 03:51:12 pm »

:|

it's been established since late March that most contagions actually come from asymptomatic carriers

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #3067 on: May 11, 2020, 04:11:44 pm »

Someone inform me why beards apparently need to go?
In part because of an association of beards with limiting the effectiveness of masks and complications it presents towards cleaning, but mostly because I really fucking hate the sensation of having a beard.

it's been established since late March that most contagions actually come from asymptomatic carriers

And asymptomatic carriers are a large percentage of those who get infected. Which doesn't even include people who've caught it but haven't yet gotten sick, what I've read has said that they can still test negative before symptoms appear. (Actually I looked it and up and yes, source here.). Which is how the Whitehouse had this situation with Pence's Press Secretary: she tested negative on Thursday, and positive Friday morning.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3068 on: May 11, 2020, 04:17:23 pm »

A Korean study also showed that the majority of people who thought of themselves as asymptomatic, when questioned about symptoms themselves, turned out to not be asymptomatic after all.

Remember that here in Sweden the recommendation is that if you have even the tiniest sign of symptom you stay home and don't go out into society.
Love, scriver~

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3069 on: May 11, 2020, 04:30:31 pm »

what I've read has said that they can still test negative before symptoms appear.
As opposed to testing negative after symptoms appear? That sounds... like tests need to improve a lot, if you can have symptoms and still test negative.

Where are our bioscanners, dammit?
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3070 on: May 11, 2020, 04:38:37 pm »

I mean, things could have improved but the last time I heard a percentage the tests had like a 30% "sumpin fukked up, hos" rate. Can't remember exactly how they were borking up, though, and that may have been specific to the clusterfuck that is the US, but yeah. There's a reason people are getting tested repeatedly :V

E: Oh, though it's super easy to have many, if maybe not all, crow plague symptoms and still test negative for covid, by dint of not having covid. Most of the symptoms are just kinda'... common.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 04:41:13 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #3071 on: May 11, 2020, 04:39:37 pm »

Well again as I said:
A: You are infectious before you start showing symptoms, and studies found no difference in the contagiousness between these "presymptomatic" individuals and feeling sick.
B: Studies across the world of people who are sick report anywhere between 10-40% asymptomatic rate. Bear in mind the estimates for the asymptomatic rate of the Seasonal Flu is anywhere between 5% and 25%, so that's not an extreme outlier.
C: Some "mass testing" policies implemented in various places have found large numbers of people infected without symptoms. For instance, a number of US states have started doing tests of the entire prison population: often these have found exceptionally large outbreaks (the largest single outbreaks in the country, 1000+). Marion County, Ohio's jail briefly gave Marion County the distinction of being the most infected county in the entire country per capita (a title it has since lost to Trousedale Tennessee, in another prison-related outbreak). Of the 2,028 who tested positive, close to 95% showed no symptoms; of all tested prisoners, the rate is even higher. Whether those are true asymptomatic cases or merely presymptomatic, the outcome could hardly be more obvious: In a jail of 2500, 2,028 were infected.

what I've read has said that they can still test negative before symptoms appear.
As opposed to testing negative after symptoms appear? That sounds... like tests need to improve a lot, if you can have symptoms and still test negative.

Where are our bioscanners, dammit?
Bear in mind also that with how the virus test works, it tends towards false negatives. I'll quote the Harvard link I posted a minute or two ago:
Both the saliva and swab tests work by detecting genetic material from the coronavirus. Both tests are very specific, meaning that a positive test almost always means that the person is infected with the virus. However, both tests can be negative, even if a person is proven later to be infected (known as a false negative). This is especially true for people who carry the virus but have no symptoms.

Some early reports suggest that the saliva test may have fewer false negatives than the swab test. If verified, home testing could potentially quickly ramp up the widespread testing we desperately need.

If a test result comes back positive, it is almost certain that the person is infected.

A negative test result is less definite. An infected person could get a so-called "false negative" test result if the swab missed the virus, for example, or because of an inadequacy of the test itself. We also don't yet know at what point during the course of illness a test becomes positive.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3072 on: May 11, 2020, 06:25:28 pm »

On that note, my mom had to get tested over the weekend because she works at the post office and started presenting all of the classic symptoms.  The test came back negative, but I feel like it was probably a false negative.  I guess it could be the flu instead since it also resolved over the course of 4 days, but it seems too similar to the classic symptoms to be the flu instead.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3073 on: May 13, 2020, 03:25:53 am »

Here in kangaroo land, things are looking up!

We're loosening the social distancing restrictions, which is great news in my book. Soon you can once again go visit your local pub, cafe, church, or brothel.

I'm particularly pleased to hear we can have up to five visitors from various households at a residence together, meaning my weekly D&D game can resume!

We're working out a plan with kiwi land to allow the exchange of various sorts between us, since we're practically their west island anyway.

China's got the shits with us about finger pointing, so they're jacking us on trade tariffs. Sucks to be a farmer right now. Time to find someone else ready to take some damned good quality resources off our hands, I reckon. Anyone here need 30 million tonnes of beef and 6 million tonnes of barley? Going cheap!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3074 on: May 13, 2020, 03:49:40 am »

Anyone here need 30 million tonnes of beef and 6 million tonnes of barley? Going cheap!
Ask the D&D thread, they're trying to work out the logistics of feeding elephants.
Pages: 1 ... 203 204 [205] 206 207 ... 459