Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Fun (or not) divination dice effects?  (Read 14045 times)

Huntthetroll

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fun (or not) divination dice effects?
« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2020, 07:10:29 pm »

How do you roll a die? I seem to only get the option to name it by interacting with it with I.

Make sure your adventurers believes in a deity or it'll not give you the option to roll a dice.

I don't think this is true, actually. My adventurer doesn't worship any gods, yet one of them still blessed her with an artifact two-handed sword.

madpathmoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2020, 08:25:20 am »

Yeah, animal people often can't worship any of the deities, but they can still use divination dice.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2020, 09:01:21 am »

Yeah, animal people often can't worship any of the deities, but they can still use divination dice.
Can't worship at all, broken culture apparently.  :(
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=11403

But, yeah, seems to work ok.

It seems that you can't take one god's D20 and take it to another god's shrine which only has a D4 available and throw it there hoping for a more interesting result.

Huntthetroll

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2020, 07:40:25 pm »

I found at least one monastery where you had to roll multiple dice at once to perform a divination. That was an unexpected bit of complexity.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2020, 10:13:10 pm »

I found at least one monastery where you had to roll multiple dice at once to perform a divination. That was an unexpected bit of complexity.
Ooh, interesting, did it come with a bucket?  :)

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 11, 2020, 08:32:18 pm »

Some good science in this thread. My main problem is that I don't want to risk being cursed, since it's hard to tell what god owns a particular shrine. I'll try to roll more often if I can get a divine weapon!

CptAWatts22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 12, 2020, 07:06:53 am »

Do you only get cursed if you use the dice in another gods shrine?

madpathmoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 12, 2020, 10:34:55 am »

Do you only get cursed if you use the dice in another gods shrine?

There's two kinds of negative results, right?  If your die roll goes poorly, which can happen with any die with a high enough number of sides (I think 12 might be the lowest for significant effects?), that is one way to be "cursed".  If you mean where you are turned into a werebeast or vampire, that happens if you try to roll the same die three times before the cooldown resets.  The second time you roll the die, you just get a warning.

You can also take the die with you, put it in a bag or something to remember that it is on cooldown, and if you find new dice you can take/use those while your other dice are on cooldown.

I think if you find a die that is devoted to the same god as one you already rolled for, then they will consider that the same as rerolling the one you have.  If that's the case, then it's still not that hard to avoid accidental hubris as long as you don't both roll every die you see immediately and try to reroll the ones you have ASAP.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 10:36:56 am by madpathmoth »

CptAWatts22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 12, 2020, 12:08:10 pm »

Ah ok, good to know.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 12, 2020, 02:06:08 pm »

Wait a minute, it's not the shrine, it's the die that matters? That changes everything! How long is the cooldown on a die?

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 12, 2020, 03:18:47 pm »

A week.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

madpathmoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 12, 2020, 08:13:05 pm »

Wow.  Guys.  I was blessed with...

A holy see-through thong.

And it doesn't fit. ;_;

EDIT:  Does anyone know if the rolling a second time too early and getting the "do not tempt fate" line means you must wait an additional week?  I assume that's the case, but its too risky to attempt to prove it wrong.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 10:59:57 am by madpathmoth »

Vicious_Unicycle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 13, 2020, 12:27:31 pm »

A holy see-through thong.

Heh, must've been a deity of lust and/or depravity, eh?

I'm not sure if the "do not tempt fate" message resets the cooldown or not. I don't feel like that's ever been an issue for me, but I never remember to pay close attention to the date. I think I end up waiting longer than necessary as a result.

On an unrelated note, I had an old adventurer who at one point got his trunk severed, then later became paraplegic due to nerve damage in his lower spine. At one point the dice cursed him to spend a week as a hornbill. When he changed back, his lower spine was healed (as well as many scars), but his trunk was still missing. Later, a different god's dice granted him healing, which restored his trunk but left the scars he'd gained in the interim unaltered.

My current adventurer has chronic spine rot after an encounter with some intelligent undead. He got cursed to spend a week as a wild boar. When he changed back, the spine rot was healed (as well as all his scars), but since then the spine rot starts coming back anytime I Travel or Sleep.

Huntthetroll

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 14, 2020, 06:53:38 pm »

Ooh, interesting, did it come with a bucket?  :)

Sadly, no. I didn't realize what was going on at first, so I first rolled one die and than the other and was surprised to see that nothing happened each time. Then, just for the hell of it, I picked up both, and was again surprised that the "Interact" menu included an option to "Roll all." I chose that one: lo, and behold, there was the divination!

Vicious_Unicycle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 01, 2020, 12:51:51 pm »

The healing effect seems to be bugged. One of my current adventurers got a couple fingers bitten off by goblins. She's got a healing effect active from divination dice. The weird thing is that her missing fingers keep reappearing and disappearing, seemingly at random. I can only imagine how annoying it would be if the same thing happened with an entire limb.

I also got a holy weapon that's an artifact adamantine crossbow. A little disappointing to be sure, but interesting to note that adamantine weapons are a possibility. (though unfortunately, so are training weapons)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5