Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 61

Author Topic: [MODDING] General modding questions thread  (Read 148834 times)

Paper

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] 0.47.x General modding questions thread - lots of new stuff!
« Reply #690 on: April 21, 2021, 12:53:27 am »

Thanks for the help!

Could I make a syndrome or secret that triggers an interaction when landing an attack using [SPECIALATTACK_INTERACTION]? Can the interaction mimic the effects of an edged or blunt weapon, even if it is un-aimed? I want a way for dwarves to easily cut off limbs of larger creatures or pulverise zombies. Also, can creatures use interactions during world generation and combat outside of the fortress? While necromancers raise armies regularly, is it the actual interaction being used or is something else being used to simulate it?

Sorry about question dump, if there are posts that answer these questions people can point me to them instead
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 01:00:15 am by Paper »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: April 21, 2021, 05:17:32 pm »

1; yes, but only on a creature attack, so the dwarves would have to have this applied to their scratch or punch attack. Can't apply specialattack to items.

2. Not really. Stemming from an interaction, a syndrome doesn't know what body part was hit by the attack that started the interaction, and thus you would have to tell it to target, say, the upper and lower bodies and head and limbs, and from there you can apply bleeding, pain, and loss of function syndrome effects. You could also lower the creatures attributes like toughness which would make it more vulnerable to physical damage. But I don't think there's a way to directly damage tissues i.e. create a wound through a syndrome/interaction except through necrosis. Reducing toughness is a fair bet for inflicting more injuries, but increasing the strength and agility of the dwarf with an on-self defend CDI will be just as reliable.

3. No, with the exception of interactions applied through specialattack_interaction, like werebeast curses.

4. Necromancers appear to apply their interactions, but currently custom secrets never build towers because it's become a hard-coded behavior associated with generated necromancer secrets. Free roaming secret-knowers or creatures that have access to a CDI do not appear to ever actually use CDI interactions they know, for instance dragons and fire imps don't burn people in worldgen, but effects applied to them by the secret, for instance transforming them into a different creature, do get applied so an interaction that increases their strength should technically be taken into account during wg fights.

Interactions don't work off-map during fort or adventure mode any more than they do during WG, either. Creatures can only use CDIs while loaded in play

The wiki isn't clear on a lot of this stuff, so asking questions is important as actually writing interactions and getting experience with them. I've considered writing an article about how to actually use interactions and syndromes, but I am both busy and lazy.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 05:21:38 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #692 on: April 22, 2021, 06:01:38 am »

4. Necromancers appear to apply their interactions, but currently custom secrets never build towers because it's become a hard-coded behavior associated with generated necromancer secrets.
Wait, do they? On my most recent world I have towers of non-procgenned casters show up as normal (i.e pyromancers like here - the burning souls is what the corpses reanimated by them turn into, though they aren't always listed separately in population info).

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: April 22, 2021, 06:26:54 am »

My custom secrets also build towers during worldgen after I gave them the ability to raise dead.

Also adding the following to the secrets seemed to increase how frequently they built towers:
Code: [Select]
[CE_CHANGE_PERSONALITY:FACET:ANXIETY_PROPENSITY:50:FACET:TRUST:-50:START:0:ABRUPT]

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: April 22, 2021, 07:38:53 pm »

Ah shit, I haven't seen a single non-procgen necromancer tower in dozens of worlds with Spellcrafts so I just assumed it was broken. I haven't changed anything with any of my secrets either except adding raising dead to a couple more.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

JAL28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: April 24, 2021, 09:41:32 am »

Is there a way to add super regenerative powers to creatures?

I believe there may be a way with syndromes, though im not sure if the effects will make their magic if they aren't used offensively. Also is there anything I must put before the [SYNDROME] token to allow the syndrome to function properly?

Will Phoenix

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Oh, hello.
    • View Profile

Is there a way to make a certain deity exist in all worlds?

As if, the deity is by default in the base raws as well as all subsequent worlds generated from it

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

Is there a way to add super regenerative powers to creatures?

I believe there may be a way with syndromes, though im not sure if the effects will make their magic if they aren't used offensively. Also is there anything I must put before the [SYNDROME] token to allow the syndrome to function properly?

You can use an interaction with a healing syndrome, and give them a CDI to let them use that interaction on themselves with either a clean_self or defend usage hint. You can also do a cdi once that causes a series of once monthly healing interactions that each occur on different days, giving them one healing effect every phase of the moon. Look at the werewolf code for an example of a timed interaction and replace the effects with a healing syndrome. Then copy paste that whole i_effect section 27 more times, and have each one start on a different day and last one day. Once daily they should get healed. Might not behave reliably in adventure mode though.

Is there a way to make a certain deity exist in all worlds?

As if, the deity is by default in the base raws as well as all subsequent worlds generated from it
No, closest you can get is giving an entity that has a pantheon a religion sphere token which should ensure they always generate a deity possessing that sphere. Theres no way to create or control deities directly.
I make Spellcrafts!

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So, a question about material definitions:

My brain doesn't seem to understand impact/tensile/compressive strain at yield no matter how much I try to read about it. Specifically are higher or lower values "better" (and on which of the three) when it comes to weapons and/or armor? Can someone explain this to a complete dummy?   :-[

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos

My brain doesn't seem to understand impact/tensile/compressive strain at yield no matter how much I try to read about it. Specifically are higher or lower values "better" (and on which of the three) when it comes to weapons and/or armor? Can someone explain this to a complete dummy?   :-[

High impact yield good. You give 101 force, material has 90, material yields(breaks) because too much force.
https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Material_science
-------------------------
strain at yield: low means shatters(ice, metal), high means rubbery.
https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Strain_at_yield
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thanks! Those were a helpful read and maybe I now understood it (at least somewhat).

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #701 on: June 12, 2021, 12:56:51 pm »

Does anyone know what the WORD token used when defining colors does? Please don't refer to the wiki, because I was the one who wrote that article and thus also that clearly faulty explanation :-\.

There's a similar descriptor shape token, but the wiki article for those simply says "Effect unknown".

Strik3r

• Bay Watcher
  • Persistently work-in-progress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: June 12, 2021, 01:25:05 pm »

Does anyone know what the WORD token used when defining colors does? Please don't refer to the wiki, because I was the one who wrote that article and thus also that clearly faulty explanation :-\.

There's a similar descriptor shape token, but the wiki article for those simply says "Effect unknown".

Now that's a good question.
One can sumrise it has something to do with translating and displaying the associated word in the entities' languauge, since the tag links the color back to the language_words file, to the given word, and thus to the languages in the game.
Though i can't think of any place where this is actually is used, so with some doubt, i'll say it's probably an unimplemented/incomplete feature, intended to allow naming things, whatever they may be, based on it's (component) color(s)/shape(s). That's my best guess anyway.

Though if somebody wants to test it and whether it does anything, i suppose you could make the WORD tokens in the colors/shapes file point to random words in the language_words file and see whether you get some strange names in some places... Maybe engravings or statues or something like that?

Since i'm here, i might as well ask: is it possible to get fort's citizens collect sand/clay/dirt etc. via a custom reaction?
NOTICE: If you can't update your profile/signature, stop using a Imgur URL for your profile picture.
Upload it to somewhere else.

9joseph9

• Bay Watcher
  • no poker face whatsoever.
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: June 13, 2021, 07:14:31 pm »

I'm trying to give a creature the ability to heal its tissue through the use of an interaction. My problem is the interaction seems to have no effect, and when I possess the creature it lists the natural ability as "unknown interaction"

Here's the RAW for the creature and the interaction in case that helps.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It is by my will alone I set my dwarves into motion

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: June 14, 2021, 04:40:10 am »

I'm trying to give a creature the ability to heal its tissue through the use of an interaction. My problem is the interaction seems to have no effect, and when I possess the creature it lists the natural ability as "unknown interaction"

You have different names for the interaction in the creature and interaction files. One has [HEALSELF] and the other has [SELFHEAL] when they should both be the same.
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 61