Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 61

Author Topic: [MODDING] General modding questions thread  (Read 148871 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] 0.47.x General modding questions thread - lots of new stuff!
« Reply #660 on: March 03, 2021, 10:48:30 pm »

There arent any that show up if you search "metroid" on DFFD, so probably not.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #661 on: March 05, 2021, 08:33:37 am »

That's really surprising.  With all of Metroid's exotic but semi-realistic body plans it's an obvious fit.

Zavvnao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: March 06, 2021, 11:54:14 pm »

I was asking because I did not find one here yet myself, but felt a second opinion might let me get lucky.
Metroid would fit rather well like you said. there is already ways to suck blood out of creatures, so metroids are not that far-fetched for df.

Space pirates are similar to goblins even, with big metroid boss monsters in charge.

(the stuff below this is just pondering and not really important to the idea. just secondary thoughts.)
Even stuff from other mods could be borrowed.
such as how in the mario mod, there is a way to play as one of those bowser/king-koopa-like creatures in adventure mode, which could also apply to ridley.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #663 on: March 07, 2021, 11:10:08 am »

About the only thing that might be a bit more difficult to pull off is a Federation civ (probably just regular humies with altered personality values and maybe skill gains, plus maybe a rare, female bounty hunter caste with various skill gains and attribute increases as a stand-in for Samus) but thats moreso due to weaponry - I'm sure something could be made using Musket Mod's scripts though.

Still even without them it'd make for a nice creature pack that could be slotted onto anything else.

gadestryll

• Bay Watcher
  • novice Earth-stricker, dabbling modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: March 08, 2021, 03:48:56 pm »

Hello,
I'm quite new to creature and interaction modding and had a few question.

I was trying to do a beholder (from good ol' D&D), and had unexpected trubble with the death ray.
I wanted to use some medical syndrom like CE_NECROSIS or CE_IMPAIR_FUNCTION on heart or brain with high severity (100, 5000 and 10000) to kill the creature in a few ticks, but the former only causes 'minor rot' and the latter kills by suffocation with a long delay. Maybe [SYN_CONCENTRATION_ADDED:1000:100] is in fault ?

I don't really expected this to work, but giving the FLEEQUICK tag does not work as a fear spell either. Maybe someone has a better idea ?

quite unrelated, is there a way to prevent [CAN_TALK] [MEGABEAST] to join civs ? for when they do, they act quite as any citizen during wordgen and starts slauthering everything when an adventurer enters the town
Money was not the reason, it was an excuse. People farmed mermaids because they could.

The last son of Malice

• Escaped Lunatic
  • dabbling modder, full time idiot
    • View Profile
idiot in need of help
« Reply #665 on: March 08, 2021, 04:16:06 pm »

Hello, total noob to DF modding here. I was wondering if there was a way to update a mod for 47.4 to 47.5? If so, please tell me.
Death to the Dark Gods!

Atkana

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: March 09, 2021, 03:48:33 am »

Hello,
I'm quite new to creature and interaction modding and had a few question.

I was trying to do a beholder (from good ol' D&D), and had unexpected trubble with the death ray.
I wanted to use some medical syndrom like CE_NECROSIS or CE_IMPAIR_FUNCTION on heart or brain with high severity (100, 5000 and 10000) to kill the creature in a few ticks, but the former only causes 'minor rot' and the latter kills by suffocation with a long delay. Maybe [SYN_CONCENTRATION_ADDED:1000:100] is in fault ?
Syndromes administered via interactions have an annoying quirk in that they are (supposedly) administered as if from a 1-size creature, which may be what's affecting your necrosis efffect. This means that the strength of the syndrome effects are much weaker than they should be, especially as the creatures get bigger in size - and this happens even when SIZE_DILUTES isn't even present on the syndrome :c. You could tune the severity of the syndrome until you get the desired effect on a particular size of creature (like human-sized creatures, for instance), and would have to live with it being less effective on bigger creatures, and more effective on smaller creatures. It could also be that necrosis might be one of those rate-affecting effects (like how the drowsiness effect causes the need to sleep accumulate by its severity every interval, rather than directly causing a % feeling of tiredness), though I've not encountered it enough to know if that's the case.
As for the suffocating with a long delay, I think that's just how suffocating works - it normally takes quite a while.

Hello, total noob to DF modding here. I was wondering if there was a way to update a mod for 47.4 to 47.5? If so, please tell me.
47.04 mods should just be compatible with 47.05 without any editing. There might be some cases where they'll need to be changed if they were doing something related to what was bugfixed in 47.05 (like if they were relying on necromancers visiting, or working around one of the worldgen crashes).

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #667 on: March 09, 2021, 07:48:34 am »

(like if they were relying on necromancers visiting, or working around one of the worldgen crashes).
Granted, that "fix" didn't actually take - necros and the like still visit.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: March 09, 2021, 07:54:24 am »

(like if they were relying on necromancers visiting, or working around one of the worldgen crashes).
Granted, that "fix" didn't actually take - necros and the like still visit.
Not as much as they used to. Haven't received an actual necromancer visitor yet. Two intelligent undead are telling a story about their boss, an ancient mummy, in the tavern right now though.

Also, any intelligent undead that have turned up (two in current fort, 1 in the previous) have been definite spies (the visitor reason text gives them away if you recognise it). No actual, "hi, I'm a necromancer, can I live here?" types yet.

Interested to hear others experiences in 47.05 though.

gadestryll

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: March 09, 2021, 03:32:15 pm »

Syndromes administered via interactions have an annoying quirk in that they are (supposedly) administered as if from a 1-size creature, which may be what's affecting your necrosis efffect. This means that the strength of the syndrome effects are much weaker than they should be, especially as the creatures get bigger in size - and this happens even when SIZE_DILUTES isn't even present on the syndrome :c.

May summoning a larger creature which will attack to give the syndrom be a solution ? edit: what about a contaminant ?

You could tune the severity of the syndrome until you get the desired effect on a particular size of creature (like human-sized creatures, for instance), and would have to live with it being less effective on bigger creatures, and more effective on smaller creatures. It could also be that necrosis might be one of those rate-affecting effects (like how the drowsiness effect causes the need to sleep accumulate by its severity every interval, rather than directly causing a % feeling of tiredness), though I've not encountered it enough to know if that's the case.

I tried several severity values : it seems to have no effect at all above 134050 (I have no idea why this particular number), is this a known maximum or something ?

As for the suffocating with a long delay, I think that's just how suffocating works - it normally takes quite a while.

Yes, what I meant is that creatures did not  die from a disabled heart, and died from a disabled brain but only because of breathing issues
« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 03:40:32 pm by gadestryll »
Money was not the reason, it was an excuse. People farmed mermaids because they could.

Atkana

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: March 10, 2021, 07:05:23 am »

Yes, what I meant is that creatures did not  die from a disabled heart, and died from a disabled brain but only because of breathing issues
Ah yes, organs in dwarf fortress work really weirdly. If I recall correctly the heart isn't a vital organ at all, so a creature with it disabled will live on just fine, and the brain's main use is to keep the lungs from continuing to work, hence the suffocation when disabled (I think a creature without breathing parts might be able to survive just fine with a function-disabled brain).

May summoning a larger creature which will attack to give the syndrom be a solution ? edit: what about a contaminant ?
I tried several severity values : it seems to have no effect at all above 134050 (I have no idea why this particular number), is this a known maximum or something ?
Syndromes and concentrations are a bit of a mess that I don't fully understand. Depending on how they're administered, the concentration can vary dramatically as far as I can tell. Injection syndromes I think take into account the size of the creature administering (possibly versus the size creature being injected with it), while contaminants possibly varying in strength based on the size of the contaminant(?) which is hard to really gauge or control.

Seeing as you're looking for an effect that instantly kills a creature, why not upgrade that death ray into a disintegration ray? I noticed that the wiki has an example of a creature that instantly disappears into a puff of smoke - you could have your ray effect transform victims into that creature instead. That way, you don't have to worry about syndrome concentrations, since the CE_BODY_TRANSFORMATION effect doesn't take them into account. The only negative is that I don't know if it'd work on creatures that are currently transformed, though that's fewer caveats than going with a death method.

gadestryll

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: March 10, 2021, 03:00:15 pm »

Seeing as you're looking for an effect that instantly kills a creature, why not upgrade that death ray into a disintegration ray? I noticed that the wiki has an example of a creature that instantly disappears into a puff of smoke - you could have your ray effect transform victims into that creature instead. That way, you don't have to worry about syndrome concentrations, since the CE_BODY_TRANSFORMATION effect doesn't take them into account. The only negative is that I don't know if it'd work on creatures that are currently transformed, though that's fewer caveats than going with a death method.

The original beholder creature also have disintegrating and petrifying rays that I implemented with creature transformations and work fine enough, but I wanted something different for this one ^ ^

Syndromes and concentrations are a bit of a mess that I don't fully understand. Depending on how they're administered, the concentration can vary dramatically as far as I can tell. Injection syndromes I think take into account the size of the creature administering (possibly versus the size creature being injected with it), while contaminants possibly varying in strength based on the size of the contaminant(?) which is hard to really gauge or control.

Thank you for your answers, I'll try and explore these solutions.
I have one question as I go : what is the size of the contaminant ? do liquid spatters have a size ? (well, I
suppoze this may be included in the really hard to gauge part)

Zavvnao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: March 10, 2021, 08:56:04 pm »

About the only thing that might be a bit more difficult to pull off is a Federation civ (probably just regular humies with altered personality values and maybe skill gains, plus maybe a rare, female bounty hunter caste with various skill gains and attribute increases as a stand-in for Samus) but thats moreso due to weaponry - I'm sure something could be made using Musket Mod's scripts though.

Still even without them it'd make for a nice creature pack that could be slotted onto anything else.

what is musket's mod's scripts? a modpack for weapons? that is to copy the missiles?

But yes, a creature pack would be fun and doable.

The last son of Malice

• Escaped Lunatic
  • dabbling modder, full time idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: March 11, 2021, 03:31:00 am »

47.04 mods should just be compatible with 47.05 without any editing. There might be some cases where they'll need to be changed if they were doing something related to what was bugfixed in 47.05 (like if they were relying on necromancers visiting, or working around one of the worldgen crashes).

Ah, thank you very much
« Last Edit: March 18, 2021, 01:45:36 am by The last son of Malice »
Death to the Dark Gods!

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #674 on: March 11, 2021, 02:29:26 pm »

what is musket's mod's scripts? a modpack for weapons? that is to copy the missiles?
Probably this fall 2018 musket-mod https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=13964
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 61