Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 61

Author Topic: [MODDING] General modding questions thread  (Read 148832 times)

Mim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] 0.47.x General modding questions thread - lots of new stuff!
« Reply #225 on: February 10, 2020, 08:54:26 am »

With the new DF version, would it be possible to put the NIGHT_CREATURE_EXPERIMENTER creature token on unique demons? Would I have to use DFHack? What would it do?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 09:12:05 am by Mim »
I am an excellent proofreader... after I click submit.

Strik3r

• Bay Watcher
  • Persistently work-in-progress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: February 10, 2020, 09:04:59 am »

Here is an interesting idea for golems:

Have an syndrome-gas producing reaction.
The syndrome grants an interaction and lasts for some time

The interaction both summons a Golem creature AND Applies another syndrome with some negligble effect but has a SYN_CLASS token. This syndrome lasts for the same amount of time as the syndrome that grants the interaction to summon the golem.

Prevent the summoning interaction from targeting creatures with that SYN_CLASS, Then by having the interaction itself be SELF_ONLY targeting, it causes a deadlock that stops the interaction from being used.

This way, it doesn't matter when the interaction to summon the golem will be used. As long as it gets used within the first syndrome's duration, Only 1 golem will be summoned.
The only downside is that this would limit the rate of production if the syndrome duration is too long and would potentially cause wasted resources if it's too short.

With the new DF version, would it be possible to put the NIGHT_CREATURE_EXPERIMENTER creature token on unique demons?
Dunno, i'm about to find out. ;)
NOTICE: If you can't update your profile/signature, stop using a Imgur URL for your profile picture.
Upload it to somewhere else.

Mim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: February 10, 2020, 09:13:37 am »

Here is an interesting idea for golems:

Have an syndrome-gas producing reaction.
The syndrome grants an interaction and lasts for some time

The interaction both summons a Golem creature AND Applies another syndrome with some negligble effect but has a SYN_CLASS token. This syndrome lasts for the same amount of time as the syndrome that grants the interaction to summon the golem.

Prevent the summoning interaction from targeting creatures with that SYN_CLASS, Then by having the interaction itself be SELF_ONLY targeting, it causes a deadlock that stops the interaction from being used.

This way, it doesn't matter when the interaction to summon the golem will be used. As long as it gets used within the first syndrome's duration, Only 1 golem will be summoned.
The only downside is that this would limit the rate of production if the syndrome duration is too long and would potentially cause wasted resources if it's too short.

With the new DF version, would it be possible to put the NIGHT_CREATURE_EXPERIMENTER creature token on unique demons?
Dunno, i'm about to find out. ;)
I'll do some testing as well. Then we can compare results—since I don't know what I'm doing, of course.
I am an excellent proofreader... after I click submit.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: February 10, 2020, 09:25:43 am »

What do you need to add to obsidian raws to make outsiders be able to start with obsidian swords?
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: February 10, 2020, 04:59:48 pm »

Iirc it has to count as a metal. I added is_metal, metal_ore:obsidian:100 (making it it's own ore, gonna find out where that leads) and items_weapon, items_ammo, items_metal, items_hard, barred, and scaled

It appears that worked. But did outsiders always have access to zinc, nickel, steel etc? It may also have broken something...
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 05:26:20 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Beakromancer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: February 10, 2020, 11:00:20 pm »

I'm trying to create a strain of vampire with the ability to spread through bites like a ghoul, but it isn't working for some reason. Is there anything I'm missing / doing wrong?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Edit: Fixed, see my next post for details
« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 03:20:39 pm by Beakromancer »
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: February 10, 2020, 11:09:37 pm »

The attack has to be added to the creature in that case; you would have to have the vampire transform into a species that bites and whose bite has a special attack string linking to the curse. I've never actually done that, but I wager the creature they transform into also has to have night_creature_hunter and maybe even be crazed, or it probably won't spread in worldgen. It might also be that the transformation conditions also have to be monthly, i.e. on certain lunar phases, but again, never tried that, maybe it doesn't care what conditions they transform under so long as they have the ability to do so. Play with those variables until you get something that works for you is what I'd suggest.

But, as a night_creature_hunter, if that is necessary, the vampire will flee into the wilderness to a lair instead of hiding within society, so if that turns out to be necessary, uh, shit?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Scruiser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: February 10, 2020, 11:11:44 pm »

So with the updated Legends Viewer, I figured out how to sort through written artifacts by event type, so I could sort by secrets learned.  I had a modded secret which over 53 historical figures learned from the same slab.  Nothing particularly stands out as causing this, just got lucky with a site.  Also of interest, I had a procedurally generated necromancer secret that ended up being spread simultaneously with a modded secret, both passed on from teacher to student together.  I've also started trying to test for the personality modifications that will encourage writing down secrets, but no luck with anything that obviously works so far.  Anyone have any good ideas about testing methodology for figuring out smaller or subtler results from interaction altered personality?  Or at least an easy way to make sure that worldgen respects interaction alterations to personality?

(keep getting worldgen crashes with spellcrafts, trying to figure out what's causing them)

I've been borrowing heavily from spellcraft mod to get ideas to test and play around with... if I run into anything that consistently causes crashes I'll let you know.

Just extracted some bogeyman raws, should I go ahead and update them on the wiki?

I personally would find that helpful, and all the non-procedurally generated creatures have RAWs included, so I think it would make sense to add an example or even two if there are substantial differences between any two examples.

Special attacks like those werebeasts use seem to be the most reliable way to get things to intentionally spread in worldgen without getting secrets involved. I haven't even had the chance to check out the new villain network stuff (keep getting worldgen crashes with spellcrafts, trying to figure out what's causing them)
Do you know what happens if you set the special attacks to grant secret interactions?  Or add special attacks to secrets?

Without dfhack: turn dwarf into creatureX. CreatureX drops a bodypart, turn CreatureX back into a dwarf. After that use blingbling to resurrect bodypart into CreatureY.

Thats looks intresting. But I'm a bad modder and I don't understand. Can you explain? What means "CreatureX" "CreatureY" and a "blingbling"  :o

Of course, if for flavor or balance or roleplaying reasons Slann actually specifically wants the golems to be transformed dwarfs (as opposed to permanently summoned creatures or ) that is doable and easier to do.  I think it should make them remain citizens which can be assigned labor?

It doesn't matter how it's done. The result is important.  :) Golem must be assigned labor. Maybe, he can be part of the warrior squad.

CreatureX is a specially modded creature which is designed so that one of it's body parts will rapidly rot away and fall off.  You transform a dwarf into CreatureX temporarily, and then it drops a body part due to rapid rot.  This way, you have a special body part lying around which you can resurrect and transform with blingbling to get CreatureY, in this case a Golem.  This is kind of complicated and has a lot of potential points of failure, but apparently modders made it work prior to a dfHack script existing to take care of things much more simply.  It does have the weakness that the Golem is not a proper citizen.

I haven't tested how summoning interactions work with intelligent summoned creatures, this is probably your best bet.  It sounds like Mim and/or Strik3r are testing it...

I'm trying to create a strain of vampire with the ability to spread through bites like a ghoul, but it isn't working for some reason. Is there anything I'm missing / doing wrong?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I don't actually see the line from ghouls for infectious attacks?  Try adding:
[CE_SPECIAL_ATTACK_INTERACTION:INTERACTION:VAMPIRE_INFECTIOUS_MI:BP:BY_CATEGORY:TOOTH:START:0:ABRUPT]

Edit: The CE_SPECIAL_ATTACK_INTERACTION is a new token added for ghouls... I don't know if it will behave in worldgen properly like werecurses or vampires.  Worldgen might not even realize that vampires need to attack with a bite to feed.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 11:18:15 pm by Scruiser »
Things I have never done in Dwarf Fortress;

- Won.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: February 10, 2020, 11:48:50 pm »

1. thanks I really appreciate that and 2. nope, no idea, never tried that before.
I make Spellcrafts!

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #234 on: February 11, 2020, 03:28:09 am »

NIGHT_CREATURE_HUNTER is not necessary to spread special attack interactions - any combat in worldgen that results in a recorded wound can transmit the effect. Of course, making them crazed night creatures greatly increases their combat events.

boxxu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: February 11, 2020, 10:03:31 am »

Is there a way to make a Civ that makes hillock sites but not Fortresses/Mountain halls? I tried setting detailed caves as their Site type and remove mountain biomes from their list but that just seems to make it so they don't spawn at all?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 10:23:24 am by boxxu »

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #236 on: February 11, 2020, 10:30:03 am »

What's a "Counting house" meeting area type? Appears in legends mode along with Catacombs.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: February 11, 2020, 10:31:12 am »

Is there a way to make a Civ that makes hillock sites but not Fortresses/Mountain halls? I tried setting detailed caves as their Site type and remove mountain biomes from their list but that just seems to make it so they don't spawn at all?
I vaguely remember something like that. I think it may have been PLAYER_FORTRESS as a site type, but I'm not sure.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: February 11, 2020, 10:45:57 am »

I vaguely remember something like that. I think it may have been PLAYER_FORTRESS as a site type, but I'm not sure.

Yeah i tried and confirmed it recently, using the PLAYER_FORTRESS setting to establish some small scale hillock clusters for a modification i was doing to push some playable hillock goblin-cousins outside of the tower so they could help each other and give some small fry to bully in fortress mode.

Doesnt rely on mountains explicitly, just generic start position settings like; biome support (the sites are often not densely populated this can be important for spreading out), exclusive start biome or settlement biome tokens for starting points. I pushed my goblins over shrubland & badlands to start there and they spread out pretty comfortably with no major breaks i could see to not having a market. (that i could identify)

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #239 on: February 11, 2020, 12:59:11 pm »

CAVE_DETAILED civs make hillocks if they settle in a non-mountain biome.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 61