Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Created Artifact Weapons Used in Worldgen  (Read 1376 times)

Dragonslayerelf

• Bay Watcher
  • Respectable Dwarf
    • View Profile
Created Artifact Weapons Used in Worldgen
« on: January 27, 2020, 08:04:34 pm »

I've always noticed that in legends, strange mood created artifact weapons are usually gifted/inherited and stored in places, however, they never seem to be used by anyone. They're treated the same way crowns and scepters are, where they are weapons of war - masterfully created weapons of war. They should be used as such more often if not all the time.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
Re: Created Artifact Weapons Used in Worldgen
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2020, 12:30:46 am »

I see it like finely crafted swords in real life. They were usually gifted to royalty and never used. Worn during ceremonies or hung for display. They may have been well functioning weapons, but they didn't see combat, usually due to the owner not really participating.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2020, 12:48:24 am »

I see it like finely crafted swords in real life. They were usually gifted to royalty and never used. Worn during ceremonies or hung for display. They may have been well functioning weapons, but they didn't see combat, usually due to the owner not really participating.
Right, but most artifact weapons in worldgen right now are Named Weapons which get made artifacts by their users because they were used for slaying a hydra or similar.

To then never use that weapon again is kind of weird behaviour.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2020, 12:50:19 am »

Very true, Shonai. Such weapons should have a storied history with many kills.

Nordlicht

• Bay Watcher
  • Wuschelig & Wunderlich
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2020, 11:31:44 am »

Right, but most artifact weapons in worldgen right now are Named Weapons which get made artifacts by their users because they were used for slaying a hydra or similar.

To then never use that weapon again is kind of weird behaviour.

I don't think so. It's basically something a noble would display in his house. "And this is the weapon my grandfather killed the forgotten beast with and he was granted the title of xx from king Urist IIX" or something like that.

It would make more sense to have some kind of prophecy showing up with these legendary weapons, LOTR style. Or that they are used for ceremonies.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2020, 12:00:31 pm »

Aren't named historical weapons have their own kill list? 

And in LOTR, wasn't that blade reforge for the human king?

Nordlicht

• Bay Watcher
  • Wuschelig & Wunderlich
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2020, 01:02:23 pm »

Yes, but as part of a prophecy if I remember correctly. Before that it was basically a broken museum piece for centuries? I don't think they shouldn't see combat at all, but there should be a bit more background when and why they are wielded again.

And I think every weapon in the game gets a kill list. At least those Adventurers fight with.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2020, 04:11:12 pm »

Aren't named historical weapons have their own kill list? 

And in LOTR, wasn't that blade reforge for the human king?
Yes, a kill list of one.
It's never used again after becoming an artifact.

Fatace

• Bay Watcher
  • Cease hostilities? Never!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2020, 10:47:13 pm »

Weapons that become Artifacts thru being named after killing something are just normal weapons in most cases, usually ranging from the normal quality.

Artifact weapons that are made from strange moods have the highest quality, but are not usually used in battle.. sadly.

But I have seen a few cases where, Strange Mood weapons are used for war purposes, (someone used it to kill multiple enemies). Then the artifact weapons from killing something are rarely used a few more times, found someone who killed 2 semi megabeasts, then died to a megabeast lol.

Guess its just based off RNG on what the npc does, based off their profession, ect. Although I admit, I wish some of them become mercanaries or hunters or heros and use them to train/kill. Would be a nice story to read.
I once had a 30 dwarf glacier fortress once.. was going great till the dwarf merchants brought along a WereKoala and killed everyone...

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2020, 03:19:41 pm »

Looks to me like the new release has artifact weapons being used a bit more frequently after their initial kill. I have a demon lord in my new world who used an artifact mace to kill several dwarves after initially looting it from the fort of its origin.
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2020, 01:31:45 am »

Looks to me like the new release has artifact weapons being used a bit more frequently after their initial kill. I have a demon lord in my new world who used an artifact mace to kill several dwarves after initially looting it from the fort of its origin.
Yes, seems that way.
I have a bronze spear, named by an Elf after a kill. The Elf then refused to used it for 10 years, as per previous versions. But after that it was looted by a giantess who went on to kill 58 assorted elves, humans and goblins with it.

And a bronze mace. Named after 1 kill, passed around, stolen, looted and offered for 200 years before it's goblin (werebadger) owner inexplicably killed a human baby with it, then it was passed around for another 200 years. Ha ha.

--edit
Oh, and in response to the original Suggestion. A Strange Mood created iron battle axe was created, offered, made a symbol of the count who went on to kill a bunch of folk with it. Yay.
No, wait, the count held on to the axe for 20 years, was cursed to be a weremonkey and then started killing folk with it. Damn, so close....
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 01:48:07 am by Shonai_Dweller »

Dragonslayerelf

• Bay Watcher
  • Respectable Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2020, 11:26:47 am »

Yes, seems that way.
I have a bronze spear, named by an Elf after a kill. The Elf then refused to used it for 10 years, as per previous versions. But after that it was looted by a giantess who went on to kill 58 assorted elves, humans and goblins with it.

And a bronze mace. Named after 1 kill, passed around, stolen, looted and offered for 200 years before it's goblin (werebadger) owner inexplicably killed a human baby with it, then it was passed around for another 200 years. Ha ha.

--edit
Oh, and in response to the original Suggestion. A Strange Mood created iron battle axe was created, offered, made a symbol of the count who went on to kill a bunch of folk with it. Yay.
No, wait, the count held on to the axe for 20 years, was cursed to be a weremonkey and then started killing folk with it. Damn, so close....

Yea, I meant more that strange mood artifacts should be used as weapons in combat rather than the named weapons that are called artifacts, because those often do get used even after the first kill.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2020, 05:43:57 pm »

Yes, seems that way.

--edit

Yea, I meant more that strange mood artifacts should be used as weapons in combat rather than the named weapons that are called artifacts, because those often do get used even after the first kill.
As I said, strange mood iron axe being used in this world.

However, it take transformation into a were creature or looting of the original for the owner to start killing stuff with it. Very strange. Rules for all weapon artifacts regardless of being made by a dwarf or not seems to be the same.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2020, 05:49:31 am »

I have a XML i uploaded as part of a save where a dwarf army deployed 2 artifacts against a army of demons, killing 20 but destroying the 200 strong army force to lose the artifacts on the plains it was fought upon. Here's the context post of the mucked up world it happened within =>and the direct DFFD link<=.

So to answer, its already in the game but the nessecary force needed to deploy them is greatly over-exaggerated than regular conflicts. Necromancers and such are also reported to go after Vaults, which normally can't be attacked (and given by the divine materials and defenders, might be considered suicidal for anybody but snowballing necromancers commanding immense armies, people rarely pick direct fights with dwarves either)