Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 142

Author Topic: Mystville [Game Thread]  (Read 119551 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Mystville [Game Thread]
« Reply #1050 on: March 15, 2020, 03:59:25 am »

"Well DONT just STAND there!" barked the driver. "See to the Lady's things!"

There was a wave of giggles and amusement from the villagers who had gathered to buy wares, and instead got a free show, as the mustachioed barker, and the youthful scribe were inducted into lifting and carrying the large parcel toward the inn.

"They shall convey your new gear to your lodging my lady.." cooed the driver once more. "The order does hope that despite the delays in delivery, that you find the package to be useful on your quests."

He turned his attention back to the crowd. "Dear patrons, I fear that the hour is getting late, and that we must finish conducting our transactions in haste at this time. The roads of late have been most... unhospitable... and we do hope you shall understand the need for us to be on our way as soon as possible."

Murmurs of apprehension, reservation, and ascent ripple through the congregation, and coins exchange hands and goods get parted off to new owners, new stock gets loaded by the driver, and the crowd slowly disperses.  Eventually, the other two couriers return, and board the wagon, still deep in a heated exchange.

"You NEED to pay up!" blurts the boy indignantly-- "I TOTALLY won the bet!"
"I SAID I would pay it Tomas, but give me a bit, I have to sell all those dresses we picked up in Keton!"
"It's not my fault you blew all your cash on frilly frocks Aron! Now you gotta pay up!"

"Shut it you two!" barked the driver, getting back into the driver's seat. "And stow that nonsense along with the rest of your baggage!"

"Does this mean we are done being peddlers?" Asked the boy.

"DONT BE STUPID BOY! We HAVE to keep our cover! Besides, Selling this crap has been the only profitable exercise this entire trip!"

The responses of the other two become difficult to make out, as the wagon lurches into motion, turns southward toward the road, and trundles out of sight.

"I'm quite surprised you took the chance getting a delivery from those fellows." Smiled a village woman, as she departed from the square. "they seemed entirely unreliable to me!"
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 04:01:59 am by wierd »

The Centipede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: March 15, 2020, 04:06:34 am »

Dixie wordlessly returned to her room at the inn, out of everyone's sight. Armour still on, bag slumped nonchalantly on the floor; her body screams in agony to make her sleep until the next day, uncaring of the state of things around her.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 04:30:33 am by The Centipede »
I have a YouTube channel.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: March 15, 2020, 06:13:58 am »

Jack was overcome by a wave of confusing and conflicted emotions, as he and Mama walked out from under the limbs of the trees, and out into the sun at the edges of the town.  All at once, he was happy to be away from the dangers and corruption that was gripping that place, and disgusted to once more be in the company of densely living human kind. Making haste, he made for the hill where the tents had been pitched when he had packed up and left so many days prior.  He regretted not taking the tent down, and he worried that perhaps wind had wrecked it, or worse.  The thought of just kicking back for the full rest of the afternoon, just he and mama beneath the folds of the tent, and buried up to their ears in soft dry leaves with all the privacy they could ask for, just sang inside him for reasons he could not find words for. That bread had banished any appetite from either of them, and all that was left needed quenching was weariness from all the unmitigated travel, and lying there, in pleasing company, just the two of them-- it was an intoxicating thought.

But it was not meant to be.

His heart went from a song filled lilt, to a crashing china cabinet in seconds.  Where once his tent, his refuge from his fellow man had stood, proud and resolute-- empty charred ground stood. He could see it from a considerable distance, after rounding past the side of the inn.  He sat to the ground, a crushed and battered man.

Mama was at least comforting. She did not understand the significance of the fire at first, until he put it in terms she could comprehend-- His "Den" had been destroyed numerous times by fires set by other two legged things, and this time, they did it before he had stayed even a single full day.  She licked his face lovingly, and commented that the space was too open for her tastes anyway-- not well sheltered from rain, snow, or wind-- and too far from any good cover or food. Just not a good place at all.  She teased him about putting a den there in the first place-- Lovingly, but still teasing.  She suggested that the two of them dig a new one-- Someplace better-- together.

His heart lept-- It was a great idea! 

But then he looked at where the sun was in the sky-- seeing it was too low. There wouldn't be enough time before the sun went down tonight, and further, he did not have the tools he needed to make a good temporary one, let alone a good proper one.  Mama chided him again, asking wryly if he REALLY wanted to set up a permanent one this close to the crazy 2 legged things and their strange smells.  He chuckled, rubbed her all over, and wrestled with her playfully in the sun, leaving large wallows in the grass. He felt for sure those meddlesome village children could see them, but he didn't care. She was right of course-- A permanent "den" would be stupid to put here; he would never subject mama to that, but in terms of safety, this awful place was about the best that could be had at the moment, given the circumstances.  To that, even Mama agreed.

The fun gave way to somber submission of truth and fact.  He would .... have to sleep... In THAT place... tonight-- and that meant certain "standards" would have to be kept.  He took a deep breath, and exhaled it with a groan.  Mama licked his face, and broadcast a mixture of amusement, curiosity and disappointment at the implication of his thoughts, and what was necessary.

It as no use dawdling.  He had places to go, people to see, and things he needed to buy.  It was gonna be a long day tomorrow, and a rough night in the inn tonight.

-----------

The shop keepers had been reticent to serve him as a patron, at least at first.  His appearance and personal scent did not do well to inspire confidence in his promises of coin, but the jingle of his coinpurse did.  One thing he felt he could always rely on humans to do, would be to supplicate themselves and their actual beliefs before the god of mammon.  It disgusted him, but on the other, he was grateful that they were taking his patronage, and selling him the wares he needed.  He placed an order at the blacksmith's shop for an outdoor cooking tripod-- the kind that you could break down, and use as a cooking spit as needed, along with a small hand axe-- picked up materials for making milled soap at the general goods store, and getting several strange looks until he explained why he was purchasing the cheapest distilled rotgut they had, (Typical, they probably felt he was going to go drink himself into a sour-breathed stupor or some other fool thing.  He was NOT *THAT* kind of hobo. Hrmph--) along with various other bits of miscellany he would need to get properly set up tomorrow, and to properly put up appearances tonight for .... the stay... 

Total expenses were pretty modest though, coming to a very affordable 6 gold coins, and amounted to the purchase of a village man's trousers and top, scissors, a shaving brush, 5lbs of soap, a pad of bees wax, a ceramic baking pan, and a number of other general goods, in addition to the previously stated transactions.

The sun hung low in the afternoon after making arrangements, and paying for merchandise with the various shops in town.  For now, he needed to get some good quality milled soap made.  Something both he and Mama could agree on as a fragrance.  He was perfectly accepting of how she smelled, just as she was, but from experience, he knew inn keepers were snooty little shits, and would complain if even the slightest bit of "Wild animal" graced the room after the agreed term of stay, and that his own natural scent was simply not tolerable at all by such persons.  He would have to smell "Fresh and Clean", and so would she, and that meant a full immersion bath with scrubbing, and a good scented soap.  He did not trust the villagers to have stocked the inn with something tolerable-- Probably have some cloying floral crap in there that he did not fancy wearing, and that he doubted mama would enjoy wearing either-- and for the rest of the evening, he set to work cutting up the raw soap he had purchased, and milling it into fine bathing bars, blended with pine and cedar rosins, plucked from the trees at the forest edges, dissolved in the white liquor he had purchased, and a tablespoon of honey from the sealed crockery he had picked at the general goods store.  He gently heated, and poured the mixture into the ceramic backing pan, and let it cool.  The addition of the alcohol and honey, even though it had been cooked to boiling, and all the alcohol had cooked off, had transformed the soap from a hard, deep tan, and opaque solid, to a soft, fragrant, smooth, and translucent amber one. The acridity of the soap was something you could do nothing about-- it was just the way soap was, but there was a good, wholesome and hearty fragrance of pine needles and cedar wood, with a sweet honey hit to it. Mama wanted to know if it would taste the way it smelled, and he quickly corrected her on the very idea of trying it. He liked her too much to have her experience the extreme displeasure of having soap in her mouth-- and instead, poured a little of the honey onto his palm, and shared it with her as a treat.  She wanted the whole crock, but he told her he was saving it to put on that amazing bread, should they need to eat any again when traveling again. She grumbled at him, but accepted the reasoning.

The sun was nearly set, when he took his freshly cut bars of milled soap, and the still-wrapped new clothes to the inn, knocked on the door, and confronted the innkeeper.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 06:43:57 am by wierd »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: March 15, 2020, 06:49:31 am »

"Glad to be out of the forest for a bit."
Burt then went to the blacksmith to see if he got in anything new sense they left.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

MeimieFan88

• Bay Watcher
  • owoing around~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: March 15, 2020, 07:32:58 am »

Reeta heads back to town and looks for the party. Since she doesn’t know who the party consists of, she will look for people with Adventuring gear and head towards them

It seems that the party is just returning from an expedition. A paladin lady is checking out a delivery of some sort that she just got from from a wagon, meanwhile an orcish man is talking to Aven near the adventuring company hq. A dark haired girl quietly heads to boarding house, and an older looking man with a bear are frolicking in the grass, as they then soon go around the village shopping for various goods, eventually going to the boarding house as well. Meanwhile, a deer-headed person is visiting the smithy. Among the others, there is also an elven lady, an armored person carrying a great sword, and an older gentleman wearing a labcoat. They all seem to be returning together from the forest.
Thou art the very love with which I love thee.
Ear teeth

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: March 15, 2020, 07:55:20 am »

Reeta heads towards the group consisting of the armored man, the elf woman, and the guy in a lab coat and introduces herself
hi. I’m Reeta, a new adventurer

Silversky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: March 15, 2020, 08:14:11 am »

"Well met! I am Aven, the operations manager for the Mystville Adventuring Company. We are grateful for any sort of help we can get, as you may know about our situation. I'm assuming that is what brings you to our humble village?"

After the business with other adventurers has been concluded, The Guild Master cordially invited Edwarg to have seat before continuing their conversation.

"Yes, the officials in the capital informed my organization about your problem, and turns out we already have... matters that needs to be resolved in this area. You might already met one of my associates. Goes by the name of Linea Starboard. An archer, female, and I don't think I need to further elaborate her appearance." Edwarg let out an hearty laugh before fishing a roll of paper from one of his pouches along with a small, tubular writing device with integrated ink and ballpoint tip.

"Anyway, I am sure you are a busy man, so I wont take your time any longer than necessery. I will need you to sign this paper, it is to affirm that your guild has authorized our presence in this town and acknowledged our arrival."

Edwarg pointed the space where names and signature are to be filled before giving the ballpoint to Aven

"You are encouraged to read the contract before signing it, Master Aven."
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 08:31:46 am by Silversky »

A5G_Reaper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: March 15, 2020, 08:28:22 am »

"Oh? You're back! Any good news?"

The portly barkeep greeted Jack, seemingly less bothered by the bear's presence. He still eyed it warily, but at least wasn't clearly unnerved as the first time.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: March 15, 2020, 08:35:46 am »

Doctor Doak seeks out the sorcerer, intending to ask him about the mage that built the tower, and what he knows of the floromancer and the Seed.

Also, afterward, he will properly read the nature magic books, making notes, to see if he can learn how to deal with the corruption in the forest.

((And totes learn magic))
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: March 15, 2020, 08:57:48 am »

It took Jack a moment to process the question-- Good news with what?  OH-- the tower!

More e'r less-- Got some good gear at leas', but more ques'ions an' answers. Or didya mean the missin' persons? Ain't seen hide nor hair o' the fellers---  But uh--- Hey--- Can uh... Can Me and Mama get a room?  .... Somebody uh.... Burned down muh tent.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 09:01:00 am by wierd »

A5G_Reaper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: March 15, 2020, 09:03:06 am »

"Oh. Too bad, but I suppose it's been way too long." The man fidgeted, formulating the best way to stay polite. "Yeah, I heard about it. Room's available, of course, but... clean up a bit, please?"

He decided to be blunt at it, his eyes flickering toward the inpatient bear nudging behind the hobo.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: March 15, 2020, 09:10:39 am »

Jack was fully expecting this, and had things in hand to demonstrate.

Oh, I uh, I gots a brand new change a clothin right here-- picked up at the market, and I spent the ev'nin cookin up some soap, since I figured I'd need ta look an smell a bit more presen'able ifn' I stayed in da inn---

With his hands full of the packages, it was hard for him to properly present the proof of his sincerity, but the clarified soap was clearly evident, clutched in his left hand, while the folded clothing was gripped tightly between somewhat grubby fingers in the right.

I jus' needs a bit in da bath-house for a bit-- Does 'is mean yes to a room? I'll try ta keep mama outta sight o yer other custom-- and it's just fer one night...  I hope...

Slyph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: March 15, 2020, 09:15:34 am »

Reeta heads towards the group consisting of the armored man, the elf woman, and the guy in a lab coat and introduces herself
On the contrary of what often associated with her race, Linea is not a person who deeply attuned to nature. Especially to the trees since she burns them more often than not. And thus, seeing the girl in front of her, she felt a certain anxiousness.

But she approached anyway, and what was her species again? A dryad? Nymph? Ent? She decided to not ask it any further and instead, showed her one of her trained smiles before proceeding to the recreational room.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: March 15, 2020, 09:17:37 am »

On the contrary of what often associated with her race, Linea is not a person who deeply attuned to nature. Especially to the trees since she burns them more often than not. And thus, seeing the girl in front of her, she felt a certain anxiousness.

But she approached anyway, and what was her species again? A dryad? Nymph? Ent? She decided to not ask it any further and instead, showed her one of her trained smiles before proceeding to the recreational room.
Reeta follows the elf that smiled and asked where are we going?

Slyph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: March 15, 2020, 09:31:20 am »

Reeta follows the elf that smiled and asked where are we going?

"To the place where I can rest my legs after a long walk, have a meal and a warm fireplace."
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 142