Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 142

Author Topic: Mystville [Game Thread]  (Read 119871 times)

Frank

• Bay Watcher
  • sorry
    • View Profile
Re: Mystville [Game Thread]
« Reply #735 on: February 28, 2020, 04:30:19 am »

"Great!" The ironclad slayer exclaimed. "Finally we reached the top."

"I swear to gods, if this room is another trap room or puzzle room I would literally go down just to hack that damn mechanical goblin in the entrance."

"Everyone ready?" The ironclad slayer asked. When everyone seems to be ready atleast in his eyes, he kicked the door open. "Knock knock, greenskins!"

The doors bang open. The room inside is dark momentarily but torches start lighting up as the party streams in.

The room is divided into two, separated by a waist-high iron fence. One can walk around or climb over the fence easily. The demarcation doesn’t seem to indicate any striking difference between the two parts of the room. On the walls of either side of the room are four blue jewels (a total of eight), encased within specially designed glass panels and surrounded by ornate designs. They are too high to reach by hand, but still clearly visible.

At the far end of the room is a door with sapphire handles, identical to the one they entered through. There is a bronze plaque on it, and the inscription on it reads:

“Wit conquers all. Bring your mind to balance, and reach heights you never dreamed of reaching before.”
:-(

Remuri

• Bay Watcher
  • Laemmle the Sparkly Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: February 28, 2020, 04:41:20 am »

"Hmmm, two choices room eh?

Should we split up into two parties?" Laemmle spoke to everyone.
I answer the call, from now on my sword always be with you.

Slyph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: February 28, 2020, 04:47:59 am »

Linea let everyone climbed past her and stayed in front of a rather-large glass window that seemed to be suspiciously cleaned and maintained. She then took her time to make simple scribbles of the landscape, more like a kid's drawing but she satisfied with the result.

"Can't really have much faith in maps these days. Especially if they are local-made."

On her way to upstairs, she already heard some commotion coming from the room above her. "Great, just great! Just when I thought they learned something from the last situation." she hastened her steps and cached up with the rest of the team. "I trust everyone is still alive?"

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: February 28, 2020, 04:54:58 am »

Jack looked at the mysterious bauble in his hands, seeing the dim purple glow make faint whirls within it, only visible in the darkness of the room up close.  It was clearly magical, and unlike anything he had ever seen before.  It as obviously part of one of the energy beam traps that had blasted so many people as they tried to cross the room, and since it had failed to shoot anyone, was clearly inactive for reasons beyond his understanding.  Elf-Girl would probably know more, but he wasn't about to talk to her about anything, after that childish fire stunt the day before. The last thing he wanted to contemplate was that child in possession of yet another deadly bit of magic she could use carelessly.  ...  Clever girl could probably use it though, he thought to himself wryly.  He liked Clever-Girl, and she seemed to be having a rather difficult time with using her powers; Clearly they took a lot out of her. Perhaps a magical oddity would help her out.

He looked at the bauble more closely, examining the socket in the back of it.  It was complicated and not straight-forward at all. He doubted anyone but its creator could glean anything just by looking at the empty hole in the back, so he set to work trying to extract the connecting piece from the device, wrestling with it in the dark for several minutes.  The Metal Knucklehead with the big mouth clanked past him, and through the broken and smoldering door upstairs while he was working, but his efforts were for naught. The device was seemingly all one big piece. Sweaty and irritated, he decided to take the whole damn thing.

It was essentially an ornate metal shaft, worked with wire filigree and and strange relief. It was made of the same metal as the receptacle on the back of the orb, and resisted any and all attempts at deformation, or disassembly.  If he had some tools, perhaps he would have better luck, but for now the best he could hope for was to remove the whole device from the flooring. The polished marble-like stone would probably break before the device would, given how resistant it was. Wedging his walking stick under one of the ornate "toes" of the contraption, he bounced up and down on the wooden shaft until the floor tile the device was anchored into began to crack and split. He then lied down on the ground, and kicked at the toes of the contraption, until the split stone flooring completely came apart, and the device, anchor bolts and all, came free.  All things considered, the entire mechanism was about the same length as his walking stick, just a bit unweildy in its current state.  He took off his hat, wiped his brow, then put the hat back on.

After examining his prize for a moment, he slipped it into his bag as far as it would go, about half of it hanging out the open flap, slung the bag over his shoulder, leaned on the wall for balance for a moment, then began his slow shuffling along the wall back to where Clever girl, the old goat, and Mama were still waiting.  Behind him, he could hear other people ascending the stairs. As he went, he carefully passed the mangled, shattered, and partially melted remains of two identical mechanisms, careful not to stub his feet on them, before reaching the spot where the Old Goat, and Clever Girl were still talking to one another.

Timidly, he cut into their conversation.

Hey uh... Uhm..  I uh...

He was terrible at this.  He was not very good with pleasantries, and had no idea how to word what he wanted to say.  Where to begin?  Thank you for helping him and Mama the day they had set out, when she did not have to? Thank you for helping Mama get that awful thing out of her head? Thank you for doing your best? He was no good at these things, but he still felt indebted.

I managed to get this here thingmabob off that doohickey back o'er yonder...  he finally managed. 
I figured ya could use it bettern' I can. I uh.. I pried the whole darn thing outta the groun' back dere--  Prolly busted what good, but I figger we can oogle it la'er...  Maybe figger out how the darn thing [expletive deleted] works. Figgured ya might like sommat that shoots bright beams o purple death aroun'...  Ya wan' me to hol' onta it for ya, or ...

he trailed off, suddenly feeling self-conscious.

Or.. Should I jus' throw the whole darn thing out, or what?

The Centipede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: February 28, 2020, 06:02:02 am »

She stared at Jack for a while, then at the orb. While still grabbing onto Lucy's middle-aged hands with her own, she raised her other hand slowly, intending to take the orb.

"May I see?"
I have a YouTube channel.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: February 28, 2020, 06:07:09 am »

Jack's expression noticeably perked up, as he carefully sat the bag on the ground, and began rifling through it looking for the small glowing bauble, before extracting it, and gently placing it into the woman's out-stretched hand.

Suure! Gimme a minit---  E'ere ya go!.

He gave a bit of a snaggle-toothed smile.

I'ma hold onta the rest o that crazy contraption; If nothin' else, we can sell it fer scrap or sommat. Might make a good bonkin' stick too in'a meantime.

The Centipede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: February 28, 2020, 06:42:35 am »

"Thanks."

Dixie slowly held the orb closer to her partially hair-covered face. Purple, weightless, cold to the touch, sizeable enough to cuff with one hand. Unless she saw different, this is the artifact that she almost died to get. However, she can't quite remember if it's the power source of the harming obelisks, or its own magic-hurling object...

She held it forward, aimed towards a vacated wall of the room, channeling as much of her mana through it until it reacts.

MeimieFan88

• Bay Watcher
  • owoing around~
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: February 28, 2020, 08:46:43 am »

She held it forward, aimed towards a vacated wall of the room, channeling as much of her mana through it until it reacts.
The swirling patterns within the object intensify as Dixie channels her mana into it, the orb seemingly activated by her energy input as it begins building up further energy of its own.

However, the built up energy within doesn't seem to be directed anywhere and, failing to find a proper outlet, is channeled back to Dixie. As the energy seeps through her fingertips into her she feels a temporary but strengthened magical potential. She can also feel this new energy slowly leaking from her.

[Dixie's next spell cast will have +3 effectiveness, if she casts it before the new energy leaks away]

It's likely that the orb was meant to be used in conjunction with a proper trigger mechanism, which would allow for the generated energy to be directed in a more efficient and purposeful manner.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 08:50:46 am by MeimieFan88 »
Thou art the very love with which I love thee.
Ear teeth

The Centipede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: February 28, 2020, 09:25:45 am »

The latter, then.  Hm... Something must be giving it a constant, weak stream of energy, for it to power something else constantly... and apparently both 'somethings' can be the same thing. This could be immensely useful.

She turned to look at the ring on her other hand, the one Lucy's holding. The ring bound to her throwing dagger. It applies a minuscule, constant stream of magic towards the object, allowing her to pull it towards her when it can. The thing is, only the ring is of a magical nature... And she happens to know both that and how it can be bound to something else, as long as the target is light enough.

This orb definitely counts as light enough. In fact, it's practically weightless.

She raised the hand that connects her to Lucy, raising it to face height. After staring at it for a second, she smiled a little deviously and kissed Lucy's hand briefly. She then went to business and held their hands on her forehead, focusing her mana onto the ring and mentally chanting the necessary commands. It took about ten whole seconds, and the ring reacted with its embedded gemstone sparking.

She then slapped the orb onto the gemstone, gently. She pulled it further and further away slowly, until the spark connecting the two objects dissipated entirely.

Hm.

She let go of the orb. It fell... towards the ring.

At the same time, the throwing knife embedded at the mechanical goblin's table fell to its side.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: February 28, 2020, 10:48:42 am »

"Dammit another puzzle room, whoever built this crap shack sure loved these things."
Burt stood to the side until someone had an idea of what should be done to get past the door.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Frank

• Bay Watcher
  • sorry
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: February 28, 2020, 11:49:05 am »

Burt stood to the side until someone had an idea of what should be done to get past the door.

Burt moves to the left (eastern) side of the room. One of the gems on the wall on that side lights up and starts glowing.

Gems (East): 1/4 gems glow
Gems (West): 0/4 gems glow

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: February 28, 2020, 02:57:48 pm »

It’s a balancing mechanism, presumably.

Doctor Doak goes to the opposite side from Burt.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Frank

• Bay Watcher
  • sorry
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: February 28, 2020, 03:05:26 pm »

Doctor Doak goes to the opposite side from Burt.

Doctor Doak steps near the western wall. Three more gems start to glow.

Gems (East): 1/4 gems glow
Gems (West): 3/4 gems glow

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: February 28, 2020, 03:53:18 pm »

Ah, information is good.

We should swap sides.

Swap sides with Burt.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Frank

• Bay Watcher
  • sorry
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: February 28, 2020, 03:59:46 pm »

Swap sides with Burt.

Two gems on the west side dim back to their usual form after a few seconds. Meanwhile two gems on the eastern wall start to glow.

Gems (East): 3/4 gems glow
Gems (West): 1/4 gems glow
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 142