Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 136 137 [138] 139 140 ... 142

Author Topic: Mystville [Game Thread]  (Read 119637 times)

Slyph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mystville [Game Thread]
« Reply #2055 on: May 05, 2021, 05:01:33 am »

Linea awakened by a very sharp sting on her left thigs and found herself tied very tightly on a tree. The pain made her gasped and her throat was so hoarse that she started coughing.

What the hell...?

She looked around, assessing the situation quickly. She had a piece of wood embedded in her left thigh, it continued bleeding and the pain becoming even stronger as she fully regained her consciousness. Her clothes were wet, stained with mud, and she smelled like a wet dog after a long hunt.

The warm embrace of the morning sun was the only comfort she felt right now, anything else was pure torment, very ill-treatment that was undeserved. 

"Hey, you there! Would you be so kind to ask your chief what he's gonna do to us?"

She heard Edwarg calling, and they seemed to understand his request. Another native approached him, a female who seemed eager to take the honor to be the first to interrogate. Linea mentally noted her presence and the other natives, as well as observing their surroundings, their location, distance, time, elements, potential weapon, potential cover, the time needed to call a reinforcement, and time needed for the reinforcement to come.

Why are you doing this? she whispered as if trying to hold back the reignited anger that started to build with mere pity. A slug crawled up to her left shin and she tried to get it off by flouncing her leg, to no avail, only further sending more pain to her wound. This was almost the final straw, almost.

NOW-- *I* ASK-- WHY YOU GO WITH TREEMAN? WHAT YOU PLAN?  ANSWER.

Linea stared at the female natives defiantly."We are not answering anything unless if you are in charge here. Buzz off!"

« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 06:43:36 am by Slyph »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2056 on: May 05, 2021, 07:15:30 am »

Masha eyed the long-ear with dripping disdain.  Perhaps she should give this one to Kalya after all.  Seeing which one broke first would either level the village, or set one of them right.

YOU ANSWER QUESTION I ASK, OR ANSWER QUESTION CHIEF ASK. SAME QUESTION.  EITHER WAY, YOU ANSWER. YOU ANSWER, OR YOU DIE. MASHA SEEN ENOUGH DEATH FOR TEN LIFETIME. BUT IF YOU WANT, YOU GET.

She then turned a cold, bitter shoulder to the long-ear, and focused on the green-skin one.

MAYBE YOU SMARTER.  NOT FIGHT NET MAKERS. NOT FIGHT ROPE TENDERS.  YOU ANSWER.

Silversky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2057 on: May 05, 2021, 07:42:57 am »

Masha eyed the long-ear with dripping disdain.  Perhaps she should give this one to Kalya after all.  Seeing which one broke first would either level the village, or set one of them right.

YOU ANSWER QUESTION I ASK, OR ANSWER QUESTION CHIEF ASK. SAME QUESTION.  EITHER WAY, YOU ANSWER. YOU ANSWER, OR YOU DIE. MASHA SEEN ENOUGH DEATH FOR TEN LIFETIME. BUT IF YOU WANT, YOU GET.

She then turned a cold, bitter shoulder to the long-ear, and focused on the green-skin one.

Actually Edwarg glad it had turned this way. Just like his old man say: in business, man should negotiate with woman and vise versa, what would happen otherwise? They fight.

"Please understand my friend there is wounded and exhausted, and your people didn't provide us with barest hospitality of water to ease our tongue and quench our throat."

Edwarg glanced at Linea once and double checked for objection, apparently none.

"What I can say to you, we are not here to harm anybody, just trying to find our missing kinsmen. We have no idea what treeman you are referring, but it was just us two from far away lands in the west, adventuring woman and man, an acquaintance hailing from the lands of arachidfolk and a druid with his bear companion."

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2058 on: May 05, 2021, 07:49:15 am »

WHAT TREEMAN?  THAT TREEMAN.

Said Masha, pointing a finger at Jack, who was still drooling in his sleep with his head keeled over to the side, despite being lashed to a tree. (a conspicuously dead one.)

DRU-ID?  TREEMEN USE WORD.  NOT SURE WHAT MEAN-- BUT MAKE TREE GROW, LIVE IN TREE. SING AND DANCE AMONG TREE-- ... TURN INTO TREE.  DEADLY TREE.

WHY YOU GO WITH?  YOU SAY YOU LOOK FOR OTHERS?  OTHERS DRESS LIKE YOU?

NOT KNOW?  TREEMEN TAKE!

WHY GO WITH TREEMAN?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 07:52:13 am by wierd »

Slyph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2059 on: May 05, 2021, 08:31:09 am »

It's not like their mission was confidential or anything, but the last thing Linea would do was to appear submitting to people that have wronged her.
So when Edwarg providing the native with limited cooperation, she prepared for it. She breathed; inhale-exhale, the basic of fire magic, and sun too- it was bright in this morning and recharging.

"That's enough, Edwarg," Linea smirked, almost laughing with tears rolling. "Listen here, you pathetic midget. My friend told you the answer and that all we are going to say to you now. You can try to kill me if you like or you can wait for your chief like a good pawn you are."

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2060 on: May 07, 2021, 03:00:43 pm »

Masha remained the very image of cool composure, allowing her tone to be icy, and biting, as she made a cold laugh.

YOU THINK MASHA KILL? HEHEHE. NO, NOT MASHA KILL. YOU SAY YOU LOOK FOR OTHER? WE SEE OTHERS IN STRANGE CLOTHES LIKE YOU.  TREEMEN TAKE.  TREEMEN ALL WORK TOGETHER. WHAT ONE KNOW, ALL KNOW.  YOU TRAVEL WITH TREEMAN-- TREEMEN KNOW COMING. IF NOT KNOW, YOU DUMB-- LUCKY WE CATCH FIRST. BEYOND LAKE? TREEMAN PLACE. NOT SAFE FOR EVEN TALL-ONE. BE GLAD WE CATCH-- STOP FROM GOING--MAYBE LIVE, IF NOT STUPID WITH SMART TONGUE. OTHERS NOT PATIENT LIKE MASHA.  CHIEF BUSY-- MUCH WORK. LITTLE TIME. NOT PATIENT LIKE MASHA. 

She craned her head and pursed her lips thoughtfully, then smiled serenely.

THAT REASON CHIEF PUT IN CHARGE HERE-- DUMB LONG-EAR.

BE SMART LONG-EAR-- NOT USE SMART TONGUE WITH CHIEF. BAD THING HAPPEN IF DO. --MAYBE LOSE TONGUE-- NOT MASHA FAULT IF STILL DUMB DESPITE WARNING.  NOW, SINCE CLEARLY NOT KNOW, MASHA FIND OUT FOR LONG-EAR AND GREEN-SKIN-- BECAUSE MASHA SO NICE. FIND OUT WHAT TREEMAN KNOW.  MAYBE SAVE FRIENDS, BUT MASHA NOT HOPEFUL. MANY DAYS SINCE SEE.  BE NICE.

----WAIT PATIENT-- LIKE MASHA.

She smiled serenely again, then with a graceful sweep of her willowy twig-thin legs, the bogling effortlessly rounded her back to Linea, and glided toward Jack, who was still slobbering heavily, deep in sleep.  With a graceful movement of her arm, she back-handed him across the face repeatedly.

TIME WAKE UP, STUPID TREEMAN.  NAPTIME OVER.

At first Jack did not respond to the slapping, but she was persistent, conducting her work with a careful and metered hand, until he roused with a start and a forceful exhalation of snot and slobber.

*SNOORT*-- WHUH? Who wha?  What the hell? Why imma tied tuh a damned tree?!  DAYUM-- I CAINT SEE STRAIGHT!

He was met with another graceful, metered slap.

YOU NO ASK QUESTION, TREEMAN--

YOU ANSWER. 

VERY SIMPLE.  WHY YOU TRAVEL WITH GREENSKIN AND LONGEAR?

Jack blinked at the diminutive creature in confusion. He had no idea who, let alone WHAT she was-- or why she would be interested in such a thing.

They's wanted me ta help find some missin friends a theirs--

MASHA NOT STUPID TREEMAN.  MASHA KNOW YOU KNOW.  WHY YOU GO? YOU WANT TAKE THEM TOO? NEW TRICK? BE CLEVER?

I dunno what the hell yer talkin 'bout.  What imma s'posed ta know?

Masha eyed him very intently-- the nares of her nostrils flaring subtly, before cocking her head.

YOU STRANGE TREEMAN.  WHY NOT CHANGE?

He had no idea what she was talking about. looking down, he noticed he was in his town pants, now thoroughly soiled in mud, like his furry leather top. It was like he had been thrown into the mud, pressed into it, then rolled around a few times.

Kinda hard ta change clothes tied up ta a tree, when ya's unconscious, dun ya think?

he asked sarcastically.

That graceful backhand returned with smarting vengeance.   Despite her size, she had a firm command of discipline.

MASHA VERY PATIENT.

she said slowly, coldly, but perfectly level

BUT NOT HAVE PATIENCE FOR TWO SMART MOUTHS.  YOU KNOW WHAT MASHA MEAN.

UH--- No-- No uh don't.

he corrected with a confused chuckle.

Masha shook her fists in frustration for a second, as her nostrils flared a second time, and a funny shade of green flushed in her face.  It took her several seconds to respond, still cool, and level.

WHY YOU NOT ALL COVERED IN BARK, STUPID TREEMAN. MASHA SPELL OUT, SINCE SO DUMB-- ALL OTHER TREEMEN--ALL BARK AND ROOTS NOW. FAST- DEADLY.  YOU? ALL SKIN, HAIR, AND WRINKLES. --- STINK OF RUMMAGE-GUT AND UNWASHED.

Jack overlooked the obvious insults, and was instead instantly fixated on the implication of the ACTUAL meaning of the question.  He had been plagued with doubts ever since seeing those wood-encased bastards in that old grove of trees, almost a week ago now.  He had been silently terrified of the prospect of ending up like that somehow, and whatever or whoever this creature was, it clearly had some knowledge he did not, and had all but confirmed the silent terror he had been harboring and suppressing.

What Ya' goin' on 'bout girly-- What ya know about 'at?!  I's seen 'at shit earlier this week-- Couple fellas as was all *@%'ed up from whatever sick twisted shit is goin on in this here wood, Attacked us, and we had to kill er sorry, bloodthirsty asses-- So far, othern' 'em, ain't seen no udder cases-- All a critters' got some twisted viney plant bastard wormin' 'emselves all up in there noggins an' spines-- Makin' em crazy as fleas on a hot skillet--   You sais I's gunna en' up like at, I wants some answers! Em bastards wern' intrasted in talkin-- You know som'in, you be out wid' it!

Masha blinked at the response confusedly, then raised her hand to strike, held it a second, then put it down again. before pacing back and forth muttering to herself.

...HOW NOT KNOW? IS TREEMAN-- BUT FIND TREEMAN, AND TREEMEN ATTACK TREEMAN?  OLD TREEMAN KILL OTHER TREEMEN? NOT MAKE SENSE. WHY DO? NOT UNDERSTAND.  NOT LIE, BUT NOT UNDERSTAND.. NOT UNDERSTAND... CRAZY...

What ya mumblin' bout girl?

About that time, the bogling sent off to deliver the message to the village chief returned, and walked up beside Masha to inform her of her success.

I TELL CHIEF, MASHA.  HE SAY HE COME AFTER MEETING WITH MANDUK. PROBABLY KALYA AGAIN, BUT NOT ASK.

Masha sighed, and rolled her head back in exhasperation, before straightening up as if an idea had hit her.

AIYA-- DO FAVOR-- GET LOOSH.  HE OLD;  HE KNOW MORE ABOUT TREEMAN THAN ALL OTHER. REMEMBER FROM LONG BEFORE CHANGE. THIS TREEMAN... VERY STRANGE. MASHA RESPONSIBLE IF TROUBLE-- GO-- BRING LOOSH.

The newcomer looked exasperated, then once more strode off across the mud.

--------

Iaya was getting a bit fed up with all the running.  It wasnt like it was a quick and easy task to run back and forth halfway from the village to the lake, then back again, over and over, while hunting down people that were notoriously hard to locate.  The chief because he was always going from one spot to another, because of the chaos from the hunting trip, and Loosh, because the old hermit liked to be away from the crowds, and would always find the most secluded and solitary spot.  Loosh had lived alone long before the world ended the year before, and had only migrated to the village after his hut was found out by the treemen, and literally ripped apart by group of them that sought to catch him.  He was a spry old bastard for his advanced age though, and wiry. He had slipped down a hollow in the tree his hut had been built in, and snuck away, literally underground, through a decaying root that had made a tunnel far away from said tree, while the treemen smashed their way in up top. The way she had heard the story, they were furious when they failed to catch him.

He was not terribly popular in the village anyway.  Despite being a hermit, he had once been friendly with the treemen before they became murderous beasts hell-bent on killing everyone they could get their long, twisted fingers wrapped around.  Due to the number of people that had lost family and friends that way, he was often whispered about, and shunned.  Not that it really affected him much, other than causing him to mutter and hide in out of the way, and hard to get to places in the village to be alone a little more in earnest.  After a long search, she found him sitting quietly, drawing smoke from an odd looking cylindrical shaft, beneath the shade of tree.

LOOSH, GLAD I FIND-- MASHA SAY COME GET.

MASHA SAY? he asked quizzically.  WHY IAYA WANT LOOSH? LOOSH OLD-- BAD DAY TODAY-- LOOSH SMOKE-- RELAX.

EVERY DAY BAD DAY. Iaya joked wryly.

AND LOOSH SMOKE EVERY DAY. he replied wrlyly.

MASHA SAY CAUGHT TREEMAN STRANGE.  SAY LOOSH KNOW ABOUT TREEMEN-- WANT LOOSH LOOK.

SO RUMOR TRUE? CATCH TREEMAN?

CATCH TREEMAN. TIED TO DEAD TREE.

GOOD CHOICE DEAD TREE.  BUT STILL NOT SAFE-- AND... OTHER RUMOR?

ABOUT RUMMAGE-GUT? she asked, wrinkling her nose.

His eyes sparkled at her in curiosity.

SMELL TRUE.  she said, with a disgusted face.

Loosh laughed heartily, then drew in a long, slow drag on his pipe, before letting it out again.

NOT FIRST TIME TREEMAN FIND STRANGELOVE.  FORBIDDEN-- TREEMAN HAVE RULE.  MAYBE CAST OUT?

YOU WANT KNOW? MASHA SAY COME- FIND OUT. MASHA WANT KNOW TOO-- LOOSH COME?

He took another drag, held it a second with a delighted look on his face, then blew it out before dumping out the bowl, and putting mud over the dumped coals.

LOOSH COME.

------

Jack struggled against his bonds in frustration.  His interrogator had not stopped with her futile line of questioning--- He didn't know anything! More, she had pointed out a bear, tied up and clearly covered in old blood, laying unconscious and bound up just as tightly as he was further out on the mud flat.  She had implied-- rather sourly, that it was the one he "liked"-- Even if it wasn't mama, treating a bear like that was just wrong-- He wanted loose to go see to it right away, and could not get free.  His interrogator had implied that bad things might happen to that bear, if he did not start talking.

Start talking? He had been slapped several times for being unable to STOP talking!  She just did not like what he had to say! 

This kind of exchange had gone on for quite some time, and he was getting heated-- Using more profanity than civil words at this point.

Looking past his tormentor, he noted that two more of the small creatures were approaching the bound bear:  A young, lithe one that walked over the mud like a bird on her gracefully thin legs-- and another a hunched old looking one with a long beard.  They hailed the two sentries that were watching over the bear, made gestures at each other, then the sentries parted and allowed access.  The old one bent down, looked, and .. sniffed..?  at the bear, then clearly engaged the younger one in conversation.  The younger one made a disgusted dry heave, and the older one laughed.  He would have killed to know what they were talking about.  As they departed, and started heading his way, the sentries silently glided back into position, holding thier vigil over the bound and immobile bear.

Off in the distance, a small crowd was growing at the edge of the distant village, apparently following discretely at a considerable distance behind the former two. Apparently the little adventuring party he belonged to were the talk of the town.  He doubted it was flattering talk.

YOU PAY ATTENTION TO ME! came the sharp rebuke of his interrogator.

YOU SEE OLD-ONE APPROACH?  HE KNOW TREEMEN BEFORE CHANGE-- HE FIND ANSWER TO WHY YOU NO CHANGE.  NO HIDE TRUTH FROM HIM. HE OLD, SEE MUCH, KNOW MUCH.

"If I knew what ya was *$@(ing yabberin' 'bout, I woulda damn well told ya already, ya ignorant lil' shit! Yer's the one as needs ta explain 'emselves, afore I even know HOW ta answer ya!" he retorted angrily before muttering under his breath as the expected slap came down hard.

WHAT MASHA SAY ABOUT SMART MOUTHS?

...He ain't 'da only one who's old...
...Honessly-- Doin this ta an ol' man-- Kids ain't right ese days...

She smiled serenely again.

YOU WANT SENTRIES TAKE SKIN FROM RUMMAGE-GUT?  MAKE GOOD RUG FOR MASHA HUT... TREEMAN CHOOSE.

"DON' YA DO IT! YOU Wanna skin som'ody, Skin me instead-- LEAVE AT BER' OUTA 'DIS!"

Before this "Masha" could reply, the two others that had been walking that way glided and shuffled onto the scene, respectively.

LET LOOSH HANDLE, MASHA.  said the old one, illicting a frustrated "HRMPH" from the latter.

TAKE SWEET TIME.  she muttered.

LOOSH THOUGHT MASHA PATIENT? he asked rhetorically with a smile.

She frowned irritably, before responding with her hands on her narrow hips.

MASHA PATIENT-- TREEMAN IRRITATING-- EITHER DUMB, OR STUPID.

"Neither one!" Jack retorted with a bleeding lipped grin.  "Ya just keep asking questions I ain't got answers fer!"

--AND GOT SMART MOUTH. she finished.

This old one-- "Loosh"-- laughed with a crustly crackle.

MAKE GOOD CHANGE FROM TREEMEN I MEET. he said with a beaming grin.

BEFORE OR AFTER HUT DESTROYED? asked the lithe creature who had come up with him.

BOTH!  he said with a hearty laugh, before focusing his attention on Jack.

RUMMAGE-GOT THERE-- said the old one, pointing to the bear.  YOU "LIKE"?

"My eyesight ain't the best ya know-- The eyepatch ain't fer show-- Cain't tell from 'ere-- If'n 'ats Mama, and yas gone and done er up like at, I'mma murder all 'ya when I gets loose!"

The old one tilted his head wryly and smirked.

GOOD YOU TIED UP THEN. he said matter of factly.  I TAKE FOR 'YES'--  YOU KNOW, STRANGELOVE FORBIDDEN, TREEMAN?

"SAYS WHO!?" jack demanded angrily.  "AND AIN'T NONE O' YER BUSINESS!"

Loosh's nostrils flared before he ran his thin fingers through his crazed white beard.  He turned to face Masha.

NOT FROM TREEMAN PLACE. he said confidently.  NEVER SMELL BEFORE.  PUNGENT-- THIS ONE. LOOSH REMEMBER IF MEET. UNASHAMED OF STRANGELOVE. DEFIANT. SEE WHY MASHA SEND FOR LOOSH.

He turned back to Jack.

YOU CAST OUT? he asked smoothly.

"Cast out from where, exactly?" Jack asked irritably.  "From my childhood home? No-- I left ON PURPOSE.  From the sylvan glade? YES--" he said, turning a baleful eye to Masha. "FER HAVIN A SMART MOUTH!"

She crossed her arms indignantly.

SIL-VAN? WHAT TREEMAN MEAN? asked the old one.

"Ya know-- ELVES! LONG pointy ears-- Big hats, bows, and overly ornate houses? Practically worship trees?" he responded rudely. "Got no tolerance fer people making ACCURATE OBSERVATIONS 'bout treeroots, at's fer sure!"

The old one's nose flared again, before he emitted a chuckle.

MUST BE FUN STORY-- WITH SMELL LIKE THAT--  NOT CAST OUT FOR STRANGELOVE?  AND FROM LONG-EAR PLACE?  STRANGE---

"'at were a LOOOOOONG Time ago-- Is was a youngun en-- When ya gets as old as I is, livin all by yerself, ya takes what ya gets-- Naw stop bein nosy!"

Loosh laughed heartily once more, practically keeling over.

OLD? LOOSH KNOW ABOUT OLD-- YOU FUNNY TREEMAN. LOOSH UNDERSTAND. SO, NOT FROM TREEMAN PLACE?

"I DON't KNOW WHAT YA IS TALKIN' 'BOUT, FOR THE GODS DAMNED 500th TIME!"

LOOSH TAKES FOR "NO". he said with a smile.  LIVE BY SELF? YOU *WANDER* IN?

"YEAH-- I *WANDERED* in-- Only been 'ere for a damned week! Whole place is off the rails! Meaningless death everywhere! Whole place... SEETHS.. in pain! Animals 'ave all got ese damned... ROOTS. in their noggins, makin em crazy as fleas in a hot skillet-- Got people been all transformed into killing things with limbs and bark where their damned faces should be, and nothing's growing like it's s'pposed to--  THAT LITTLE IGNORANT SHIT THERE seems to know something, but WONT &#$*ING TELL ME! WHAT'S GOING ON, AND WHY DID YA TIE ME UP FER!?"

Loosh turned his head to Masha once more.

WHAT STORY TREEMAN GIVE MASHA? he asked flatly.

LONG-EAR AND GREEN SKIN SAY "TRAVELERS"-- LOOK FOR MISSING FRIENDS.  TREEMAN SAY LONG-EAR ASK TREEMAN HELP FIND, ASK NICE, SO HE DO. SAY SHE RUDE AFTER, BUT HE STILL HELP.  GREENSKIN COME LATER. LONG-EAR AND GREENSKIN FRIENDS-- FRIENDS OF MISSING ONES.  TREEMAN SAY HE AND LONG-EAR-FRIENDS KILL OTHER TREEMEN, MANY DAYS AGO-- ATTACK IN FOREST. DESTROY WITH FIRE.

Loosh stroked his beard.

LOOSH NEED A SMOKE.

He turned his head back to Jack.

LOOSH TRY EXPLAIN--  LAST SPRING, TREEMEN SUDDENLY ALL GATHER. ABANDON PROJECTS. ABANDON ANIMAL FRIENDS. ABRUPT, SUDDEN CALL.  DAYS LATER-- ALL CHANGED. LOOK LIKE TREE WITH ARMS, NO LEAVES.  START TAKING BOGLING FROM HOMES. KILL ALL WHO FIGHT. GO ON FOR WHOLE YEAR, EVEN WINTER.

He fumbled in the front of his shirt for his pipe and pouch, thumbed a pinch into the bowl and lit it up, drew in a big drag, then blew it to the side.

LOOSH OLD EVEN THEN-- LIVE ALONE. MOSTLY SAFE-- HIDE FROM TREEMEN. THEY ONLY FIND RECENTLY. LOOSH NARROW ESCAPE. DESTROY LOOSH HOME, TRY GET LOOSH.

He took another long drag.

LOOSH COME TO VILLAGE. NOPLACE ELSE GO.  LIKE OTHERS.

"I'm sorry ta hear that." said Jack sullenly.  "But I ain't responsible-- If anythun, I wants to put it right, not make thangs worse. Sounds like everyone as lives in 'dese woods is suffrin-- Animals all gots terrible headaches and pains, from the .... THANGS... Growin' in em-- Mama...." Jacks' eye became all watery and sad ".. She had one o dem DAMN @#*%ing thangs in 'er too-- HORRIBLE pain--  I couldn't do nothin' fer 'er-- Had to get that ol' goat Lucy cut the damn thing out. She seems better now, but's taken a real shine ta me--"

Loosh listened and puffed on his pipe between bouts of rubbing his beard pensively.

"...If I'm a gonna end up like em bastards we put down earlier, I wants to go with muh head intact-- Ifn' ya knows sommat, stop being cruel, and tell an ol' man whatcha know-- I Don' wanna end up like 'at!"

SMELLS LIKE TRUTH.  mused Loosh.

IAYA SURPRISED LOOSH SMELL ANYTHING THROUGH SMOKE!

All three of the interrogators laughed at that joke.

Approaching unobserved, the chief makes his appearance.

WHAT LEARN, MASHA?

Slyph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2061 on: May 08, 2021, 12:44:17 am »

"Say Edwarg, what's your plan actually? Trying to negotiate with them. Telling me to remain calm..." she stopped as another pain stung her. Linea grunted. The throbbing pain in her thigh was getting worse, and she could only imagine how horrifying a wound would have been in this kind of environment. "how is it?"

The orc lowered his gaze and waited a moment before answering "Bad, but I will tend to it."

"Bad?" Linea heaved, almost sarcastically so. "Not sugarcoating a bit, aren't you, Snewden?"

Edwarg had pleaded for her to wait for what the chief of this tribe has to say about this circumstance, pertaining to how they could have killed them all in their sleep if they wished to do so. Linea thought it was a pretty understandable thing to consider but still rather reluctant to fully understand that reasoning. In her understanding, those natives would kill them anyway or, kept them captive for an indefinite time. She could be wrong, of course, a possibility that she wouldn't overlook. The only reason why she hadn't turn anyone on fire yet.

But the pain, and anger were getting stronger as time passed, and her patience...dwindling.

Another native approached the other interrogators

"That's the man." Edwarg said.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2062 on: May 08, 2021, 01:16:38 am »

Masha frowned.

TREEMAN FILTHY-- PERVERT-- BUT NO RESPONSIBLE.  FROM OUTSIDE. ASKED LOOSH.

She straightened up and did the best she could.

LONG-EAR AND GREEN-SKIN SAY TRAVELERS-- LOOK FOR MISSING FRIENDS.  MASHA REMEMBER SENTRY SAY SAW TREEMEN TAKE 3 TALL-ONES IN STRANGE CLOTHES TO GROVE. THEY WEAR CLOTHES LIKE LONG-EAR AND GREEN-SKIN. MAYBE SAME ONES.

She frowned again.

PERVERT TREEMAN SAY LONG-EAR AND GREEN-SKIN ASK FOR HELP FIND MISSING FRIENDS. HE AGREE HELP.  SAY RUMMAGE GUT SICK WITH FOREST MADNESS, BUT THEY MAKE BETTER-- CUT OUT HEAD-PLANT. RUMMAGE GUT LIKE AFTER, HE LIKE BACK. GROSS- BUT NOT IMPORTANT.

She straightened again.

TREEMAN SAY HE AND OTHERS KILL CHANGED TREEMEN MANY DAYS AGO.  BURN WITH FIRE.

The chief leaned in at Jack, and tilted his head.

THIS TRUE? YOU KILL CHANGED TREEMEN?

"Yeah.  Hacked them up like firewood, and burned them like it too."

HOW DO?  HOW BURN?

"The "Long-Ear", as ya seems intent on callin' 'er, --- Which I would a'vise ya to stop doin-- Use her proper name, ifn' yer smart-- She don't like ta be called such thangs-- could set this whole forest on fire if'n she get mad enough." Jack answered bitterly. "Suprised she ain't done it aready."

OH? HOW DO? asked the chief with his arms crossed.

Jack huffed in exasperation.

"A'RIGHT--- "Tree man" make things grow? Yes?"

YES- THAT WHY TREEMAN TIE TO **DEAD** TREE. said the chief matter-of-factly.

"Yeah.  Well, the "Long-Ear"-- She make fire BURN.--- BURN A LOT.  She wan' 'er friends back. I don' think no bark-faced monster's gunna stop 'er, ifn ya catch muh drift."

HAVE HANDS TIE, NO MAKE FIRE BURN.

"That ain't how it works."  said Jack wryly.  "Ya dont got what's needed to make that fire go out. Go ask her yaself."

The chief looked amused, but also pensive. Gave an assenting nod, then walked over to the bound elf woman.

THIS TRUE? YOU BURN TREEMEN? BURN GOOD?

Slyph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2063 on: May 08, 2021, 01:45:24 am »

Edwarg nodded at her, both assuring it was the one in charge here and-once again- mentally asking to not torch the man as if Linea was a fire-breathing dragon.

THIS TRUE? YOU BURN TREEMEN? BURN GOOD?

Linea glared at the so-called chief. A faint trace of burning fumes could be seen when she exhaled the air from her nose, before finally answering."Those mutated zombies? Yes, I burned them to ashes. What do you want? What's the deal with this... unneighbourly treatment?"

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2064 on: May 08, 2021, 01:54:23 am »

The chief shrugs his shoulders matter of factly.

CHILD-ONE AND MASK ONE ONLY TALL ONES COME. he said flatly.

COME, TAKE FROM VILLAGE. ONLY ONES COME BACK YAMASH, KALYA.  BOTH NOT GOOD WHEN COME BACK. KALYA SAY VERY BAD THING-- NO REASON NOT BELIEVE.  CHILD-ONE EAT LIGHT FROM EYES-- LEAVE EMPTY- LIKE YAMASH.

He tipped his head at Linea pensively.

YOU NOT DO SAME, MORE TALL ONE COME? NOT MANY LEFT IN VILLAGE.

He straightened back up again.

YOU WANT MISSING FRIEND? MASHA SAY RIGHT-- SENTRY SAY SAME ME. TREEMAN HAVE FOR SURE. BIG DANGER.  YOU GO? YOU BURN *ALL* TREEMEN?

Slyph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2065 on: May 08, 2021, 02:45:37 am »

The chief shrugs his shoulders matter of factly.

CHILD-ONE AND MASK ONE ONLY TALL ONES COME. he said flatly.

COME, TAKE FROM VILLAGE. ONLY ONES COME BACK YAMASH, KALYA.  BOTH NOT GOOD WHEN COME BACK. KALYA SAY VERY BAD THING-- NO REASON NOT BELIEVE.  CHILD-ONE EAT LIGHT FROM EYES-- LEAVE EMPTY- LIKE YAMASH.

He tipped his head at Linea pensively.

YOU NOT DO SAME, MORE TALL ONE COME? NOT MANY LEFT IN VILLAGE.

He straightened back up again.

YOU WANT MISSING FRIEND? MASHA SAY RIGHT-- SENTRY SAY SAME ME. TREEMAN HAVE FOR SURE. BIG DANGER.  YOU GO? YOU BURN *ALL* TREEMEN?

If anything, the last question sounds more like a plead than demand, and seeing the chief was reasonable enough to not harm her any further, Linea lowered her guard, decided it was the best time to freed herself. Her legs were killing her

"I will if I have to." Linea heated her lower arms and burned the ropes. Had to grit her teeth when another wave of pain stung her. "But my objective is to search and if possible rescue my friends, not to hunt your enemies."

Linea shot a glance at the other natives. "Now both parties are on equal ground, I am expecting you to release my... comrades and return our belongings. If you have your doubts about some of them, we can sort them out."

"That druid," she continued, pointing at Jack. "He was just tagging along with us, we are here because the human leader from the village said this was also the place where his son went missing, some times before my friends did. We also looked for him, again, if possible."

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2066 on: May 08, 2021, 03:01:22 am »

The chief frowned at the burned ropes, done so effortlessly.
ME SEE TREEMAN SAY RIGHT-- ROPE NO GOOD....

He looked up at Linea appraisingly.

YOU DO ANY TIME-- BUT NOT DO. GREEN-ONE NOT FIGHT ROPE TENDERS. CHIEF TRUST FOR NOW...

He tipped his head the other way.

BOYCHILD? asked the chief dryly,

LUCKY YOU.  SENTRY SAY CHILD-ONE AND MASK ONE TOOK-- TOOK TO LAKE, NOT KNOW WHY. TREEMEN FIGHT CHILD-ONE AND MASK ONE-- TAKE BOY CHILD.

He tipped his head again.

MAYBE ALL SAME PLACE?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2021, 03:03:38 am by wierd »

Slyph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2067 on: May 08, 2021, 03:31:32 am »

"We are not sure, the human leader gave us information about frog-like mutants and giant lake monsters. It's either that or the kid has long dead."

In the back of her mind, Linea was curious about the identity of child one but decided to save it for later. They might not move from this place as soon as she had planned, and she will need some time to reorganize the party.

"Let's talk in someplace else." Edwarg interceded rather crudely and Linea agreed. He insisted to carry her, but she strongly objected and both settled for lending a shoulder instead, ignoring the look of nearby natives who might or might not still possess an ill will towards them. She didn't care anymore, she will burn them if they try anything.

"Go get our belongings. I will wait here, you owe me."
« Last Edit: May 08, 2021, 03:51:21 am by Slyph »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2068 on: May 08, 2021, 04:01:05 am »

SO YOU GO THEN? he asked wryly.

ALSO-- NOT OWE YET.  BUT NEED THINGS TO DO DEED.

MASHA, AIYA-- GO GET THINGS.

LOOSH, WE TALK. LONG-EAR NEED KNOW ABOUT TREEMEN BEFORE GO, OR WHOLE PLAN LIKE SMELLY FART. BIG STINK AND GONE. YOU COME.

Slyph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2069 on: May 08, 2021, 04:18:10 am »

After taking some time to reconsider, Linea answered.

"Probably not too soon. I need a place. Dry and clean enough to sit. Even a simple wooden platform with rooof would do. Also, I don't think we will leave without that old druid. He is an acquaintance, so we wait until you are done questioning him. In the meantime, consider this village of yours to be under our protection."

Pages: 1 ... 136 137 [138] 139 140 ... 142