Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Discord: Nay or Yay?

Yay!
Nay!

Author Topic: Metro(Gameless GM Edition) Turn 8(1): Coming Soon.  (Read 1218 times)

TankKit

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably writing something.
    • View Profile
Metro(Gameless GM Edition) Turn 8(1): Coming Soon.
« on: January 13, 2020, 02:45:09 pm »

Metro(Gameless GM Edition)
Inspired by a game on Tabletop Simulator, Metro 2033 takes place in the titular universe. You the players will take the reigns of the survivors of the Metro. Contrary to established Canon you will start in an unexplored Metro, with custom factions.

You will have to barter or fight for the few scarce resources available, trying to carve out a living in hostile conditions that only worsen over time and even as you deal with radiation, anomalies and mutants, you fight your fellow human for that scrap of food or that laster filter. Welcome to the Metro.
A few months ago, Ghazkull created this forum game. It was pretty fun, but he has since lost interest in it. My own forum game project is still nowhere near finished, but I'm tired of seeing fun games die out due to a loss in GM interest and have been wanting to GM another game for a while now, so here I am, continuing his game in this new thread.

The premise of the game is simple: Rather than starting out in an already explored Metro with established factions and canon, the players explore and colonise the Metro with their own custom factions, beginning with only a single population of 100 people and a basic military of 2 squads of Soldiers and 1 squad of Rangers and eventually expanding to control large swaths of the Metro with whole armies fighting for control over what remains... assuming you survive, of course. There is no goal except that which you give yourself - this game isn't about the destination, it's about the journey we craft along the way. However, the game will end when only one faction remains.

Do note that I am going into this knowing relatively little about the Metro world beyond the basics. I will do my best to make sure I don't make any especially egregious mistakes, but this will probably go in somewhat of a different direction than the original game.
Spoiler: Action Summary (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Resources (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Units (click to show/hide)

Turns will be done based on the level of activity. The first to post their actions will be the first to act, then the second to post their actions will be the second to act etc.
Also, you don't have to spoiler your actions, but you may PM me actions you don't want other players to know of.
Also also, could everyone please re-post their actions and submissions to this thread? It'll make things more convenient for me when I write the next turn. Thanks in advance.

Finally, I've made a poll to decide whether or not I should make a discord for this game. It'll be more convenient for me when writing about what your factions are like and will allow for me to more quickly respond to questions and suggestions and all that but I'm not sure if its really wanted, so I'll let you guys decide.

Coming up next: Where alliances fail, commonwealths rise...
Planned Next Features: Special faction-based abilities, basic Station upgrades, early Research tree, relations with AI factions.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 01:46:02 pm by TankKit »
“I would stop you from doing unholy experiments with my people, but I don’t actually care about their well-being and I kinda want to see what happens”

Spoken like a true god TankKit.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
Re: Metro(Gameless GM Edition) Turn 8(1): Coming Soon.
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2020, 03:16:17 pm »

Nice nice. Lookong forward to continuing on!

Spoiler: Neomakhnovia (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 04:25:15 am by notquitethere »

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2020, 07:41:56 pm »

send 2 Soldiers south to Savecovskaya
Use 1 Fuel to produce 2 Food

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2020, 09:23:31 am »

Glad to see this going again, as I was sad to see it go.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2020, 01:15:01 pm »

Just putting my last actions into the new thread here.

Spoiler: Corrections: (click to show/hide)

Alders Refuge

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I do have to question the absolutely insane buff to bullets here. Because they can be traded for 2 of any resource on the open market, they become literally the only resource you need. There was no reason for anyone to have started with production of anything else in game, because with bullets you could have bought your original production and then an extra resource every turn. It gets even worse though. If you buy fuel as one of those resources, you can then produce 2 bullets a turn, which translates into four (4) resources (of your choice) a turn from a single station. On top of this, bullets can be used to buff units in a way no other resource can. This all seems incredibly broken and unbalanced, especially for players without a source of bullets compared to those who do. I hearby petition that the open market exchange rate be changed to 2 bullets for 1 resource of any type, and 3 resources for 1 bullet.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

TankKit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2020, 01:42:03 pm »

Hmm. For some reason I didn't consider the possibility of buying Fuel with Bullets to further double Bullet production. You are correct - the buff to Bullets is quite ridiculous when taking that into account. I shall edit it accordingly. Though, I must correct you when you say that bullets can be used to buff units - that's been replaced with just straight up making Bullets a requirement for using Guns.

...This is why I need a discord. I'm honestly the worst here when it comes to noticing methods of abusing systems I've created/edited. Probably why I tend to lean towards looser systems or just have no system at all.

Out of curiosity, for those who voted nay to discord, why?
“I would stop you from doing unholy experiments with my people, but I don’t actually care about their well-being and I kinda want to see what happens”

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2020, 01:51:28 pm »

Even without buying fuel, bullets still double resource production on the open market, and with any resources you want at that. That's more powerful than fuel. That still feels broken, just to a lesser degree.
(Also, I hadn't noticed the change to bullet use in combat. Thanks)

I voted Nay on discord because I just don't see what we would talk about for the most part. Other than a few rules discussions like this that could happen just as easily in thread, and diplomacy that I prefer to do in the privacy of dms anyways, I think it would largely sit unused, but would still be inconvenient for those without discord or who already have a lot of servers to keep track of.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

TankKit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2020, 02:09:49 pm »

Aren't bullets supposed to be the new currency in the Metro? I probably figured it would make sense for them to be able to buy some extra stuff.

And eh, fair enough on the discord. I can certainly see your point.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2020, 02:29:45 pm »

Shouldn't we argue this in discord or the ooc thread...?

But if we're here...I think bullets are fine. Remember Helmacon that fuel scales upwards as we improve our stations. The bigger it is, the better the bonus. Fuel is going to be a lot more valuable later on.

I would suggest the GM keep track of how much stuff gets traded and to what station. If you enrich a station, they should spend the influx to grow stronger, and possibly even become a threat. And likewise, they shouldn't be able to produce a magic amount of resources out of nowhere. If multiple people make multiple orders they should split the difference according to who they like more.

Aren't bullets supposed to be the new currency in the Metro? I probably figured it would make sense for them to be able to buy some extra stuff.

L O R E

More specifically the currency is military-grade ammunition rounds that cannot be reproduced easily in the metro anymore. They essentially are like coins-rare enough materials to function as money, can't be duplicated/faked easily, while still plentiful enough that it allows for fair exchange. And from a pragmatic standpoint, these rounds are less likely to jam or misfire and have much better stopping power, meaning they are good for when you really need them. In the metro giving a bullet to a beggar is a nice thing to do.

Also, most people in the metro use far crappier bullets to actually fight, since firing MGA is literally 'shooting money'-it is very expensive, the sort of thing rangers and wanna-be tunnel Emperors do. Which is why in the original game Ghazkull made, bullets were just a force multiplier, not actually used for attacking. Since you're not actually using bullets to train the units or attack most of the time, you're actually paying your soldiers their wages. MGA is spent when investing in a particularly important battle.

It stands to reason stations that produce bullets are either good at trading a wide variety of things, or are rarely the few settlements that can have the high grade materials and skills needed to produce MGA rounds.

Now of course, I know lore and game mechanics don't have to mix.

Anyway here is my 1st turn!

Spoiler: Classified Information (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 03:33:10 pm by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

TankKit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2020, 02:49:33 pm »

Eh, while fuel might become more valuable later on, it is currently not particularly valuable beyond doubling Production. Maybe I'll change things to be more balanced in the future.

And, huh. Interesting... makes me wonder if I should have different bullet types.

And...

You know what, I might just put a bullet in this current game and figure out all of the features and lore before starting it again and potentially fucking with things and causing more arguments later on, then begin a new game of Metro. This game has been proven to have plenty of interest, I feel like adding features gradually instead of creating a single, proper, functional system is just unnecessarily complicating things and will require constant changes to the balance. I do want to GM this game, but I don't want to be constantly stressed out wondering if this newest feature has fucked with the balance in some way I haven't noticed. I'll even keep you informed here on how progress is going so you know I've not abandoned the game. How about it?

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2020, 03:08:51 pm »

I think continuing the game should take priority. Maybe you could just toss out all the rules at once and THEN we could continue with the rules Ghazkull made, using the same map, without restarting. His idea was to more or less roll them out one at a time and 'bugtest' them. We could potentially just do that ourselves, all in one big bang, though we couldn't guess everything. From my point of view this system was also intended to grow over time, so in a way adding things into the system was his intent, not something he left out.

It is clear however Ghaz made an experimental game system that needed patching. That is not a reason for stress, all of us should understand that is intended. If you want to continue, I say we do that right off.

Maybe open a discord for all that. :)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 03:16:39 pm by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2020, 05:55:08 am »

Out of curiosity, for those who voted nay to discord, why?
I don't have an account and don't intend to get one.

Also I think it would be easier to improve the rules as we play the game.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2020, 06:08:39 am »

I'm happy with new features being rolled out as it goes. Getting feedback (like with the bullets) can be useful, so having a bedding-in period where you share the proposed addition before it's introduced allows any bugs or exploits to be ironed out. I can see sharing these ideas on an informal discord, or in an OOC forum thread might be best. I'm happy to continue where we left off.