Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12

Author Topic: Grim Idols [Turn 1: Evil Pays]  (Read 12925 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
Re: Grim Idols [Recruiting!]
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2020, 02:55:48 am »

I once played a demon who fed on negative emotions, but wasn't particularly cruel or malicious, just using that as a source to power itself.
You could go either way.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2020, 03:03:56 am »

I know it's late/early, but I've been thinking, could a creature that feeds on emotions feel emotions? if they could, they obviously cannot eat them, I am thining that a creature that eats emotions wouldn't be able to feel them...can anyone else share their thoughts on this?

Emotions don't provide any energy and thus emotion eaters are beings of pure fiction and can act however you want them to :V.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2020, 03:19:04 am »

I assume a creature filled with blood can eat blood just fine. Not sure why a creature filled with emotions couldn't likewise eat them.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2020, 04:28:00 pm »

Name:  Ursarkar E. Creed

Species: Star
Creed: Heroic and Cold
Specialties: Epics and Stealth
Apperance: A broad, badly-scarred man with a grim visage and a large cigar.
Personality: Dedicated and more hopeful than he comes off as.
Backstory: Military Officer who evacuated, and is trying to reassess his skills and blunt demeanour into this new realm of warfare.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 04:33:53 pm by Devastator »

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2020, 05:19:02 pm »

I once played a demon who fed on negative emotions, but wasn't particularly cruel or malicious, just using that as a source to power itself.
You could go either way.
I know it's late/early, but I've been thinking, could a creature that feeds on emotions feel emotions? if they could, they obviously cannot eat them, I am thining that a creature that eats emotions wouldn't be able to feel them...can anyone else share their thoughts on this?

Emotions don't provide any energy and thus emotion eaters are beings of pure fiction and can act however you want them to :V.
I assume a creature filled with blood can eat blood just fine. Not sure why a creature filled with emotions couldn't likewise eat them.
Thank you for the input, I wanted to make sure Passionate would make sense, I think it does.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2020, 05:49:08 pm »

Name:  Ursarkar E. Creed

Creed: Heroic and Cold
Specialties: Epics and Stealth
Apperance: A broad, badly-scarred man with a grim visage and a large cigar.
Personality: Dedicated and more hopeful than he comes off as.
Backstory: Military Officer who evacuated, and is trying to reassess his skills and blunt demeanour into this new realm of warfare.
1. You've got the same creed pair as I do. While our characters are clearly different in tone and intent, I just wanted to say I noticed this.
2. I feel a bit like Grim would fit better for a military general, but you did say "more hopeful than he comes off as", and you know what you're thinking better than I do.
Code: [Select]
"Sir, our scouts have gone in. The area is clear."
"Wonderful. Let's send in some troops to claim the area."
-A few hours later-
"Heh, this has been pretty eas-"
*BANG* [Idol comes out from behind a lamppost and starts beating up everything]
"WHAT THE FUCK?!?! How did they do that? There must be some kind of tactical gen-

CREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED!"
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2020, 05:52:08 pm »

Yeah.  If we both end up in game, I think I might change one of those two.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2020, 06:05:20 pm »

Yeah.  If we both end up in game, I think I might change one of those two.
Nah, it's not necessary if you think it wouldn't be true to the character. Honestly, Dariel will probably have to end up attached to one or more other managers to be effective, and I suspect a military general with a similar temperament would, in-character, have a better idea of what to do with him and his inventions.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2020, 11:01:36 pm »

C0M-ER0N (Shadowclaw), Definitely Not Machine Rebel Leader
i-666 (Egan), Definitely Not Eldritch Sleeper Agent
Ursarkar E. Creed (Dev), Grizzled Military Commander
Dariel Aegis (Glass), Renegade Mainframe
Quipzee Wit (Naturegirl), Crystalline Emotion Mosquito
Timantha Starfire (TricMagic), Slightly Evil Idol

are all in! Apologies to those who didn't make it!

You are, as usual, surrounded by idiots.

You say this not only because you are currently sitting in a fancy atmospheric craft surrounded by your fellow managers, but because you can see through the windows that the building you're heading towards- a rather large, violet cluster of domes- is absolutely filled with rioting shapes. Those morons in the government appear to have opened the floodgates and then ran for it.

Upon landing on the roof (the pilot takes off immediately, assuring you he'll "be around" in case you need him) and making your way inside, this assessment is confirmed. There's a sort of command center set up in the middle of the currently rather empty upper levels of the structure, and from there sensor readings indicate that the lower levels are experiencing a turbulent plasma flood. This isn't terribly far from the truth.

A single recorded message is the only sign of the governmental council you were supposed to meet here. It displays a single nervous-looking Vine, constantly glancing around.

"Oh, um, welcome managers! I'm sure you have a lot of work to do and we didn't want to get in the way so best of luck! This is Admiral Kalla Vakrin Attran signing off!"

She flashes a nervous smile and two tentacles up before fumbling at the control panel. The message ends.

An alarming screeching sound echoes through the floor. You have a Situation here.

The proper way to acquire Idols is by gradually feeding applicants through an Audition Center, a sophisticated piece of infrastructure designed to gauge every aspect of an Idol, and thus enable you to negotiate with her in an informed manner. Most likely these jackasses treated it like a military drive- loudly and patriotically declaring that everyone should enlist for power and glory, then assuming they or you can just pick and choose from carefully regimented lines.

The result is a swarming horde of angry candidates who will literally kill to get what they came here for, and you without any means of telling the wheat from the chaff. You will need to solve both these issues or in all likelihood be ripped limb from limb by a mob of angry potential clients and/or debt collectors.

Spoiler: Base Layout, Upper (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Base Layout, Lower (click to show/hide)
The upper levels consist of a central military-style command center, a ring of luxury suites (for the "officers") and a series of barracks for... menial personnel, you suppose. Idols require luxury suites (among other things) to live and work in the base, so that's actually kind of convenient... though you're also slightly homeless at the moment so claiming them for yourself is also an option.

The barracks are worthless. You CAN hire mooks to do things on site, but it's not the kind of obvious, day one thing you'd do without a specific task in mind. These jackasses really thought this was going to be a military base.

The lower level, at the moment, consists of angry gnashing and scary noises. There are presumably facilities down there, but until you clear out the mob and get things fixed up you have no idea what they are.

For assets, you all have 5000 credits apiece- enough to buy an Idol-grade mech outright. In theory you don't need to, because you were promised the base would have some, but given the rest of the situation nothing is certain. It is also thoroughly insufficient to bribe this many applicants.

C0M-ER0N
A quick check of the central computer system reveals a disappointing lack of AI to recruit. A quick check of sensor systems reveals very little intact, making it hard to gauge much of the situation down below. However, even at minimal concentrations, there are probably far more robotic applicants than you could possible handle, and you lack any instrumentation to measure their worth.

You have a prefab "salon" all ready to go- it slowly runs "calming" software to gradually turn victims to your cause as it pampers them. Such a facility can be set up anywhere in the base and moved later if needed, but it can't handle the kinds of numbers you're looking at.

You also have your "Glamor Gals"- a dozen matching Cloy reprogrammed to mindlessly serve your whims. Most people find them creepy, because they're intimidated by progress. They're combat-capable but still basically mooks, so while they might be handy in suppressing riots they're clearly insufficient for the task at hand.

Finally, you have a contact. The Forger is a flamboyant Cloy who looks something like an ominous glowing red squid. He's an industrial unit specializing in plasma-treating materials for a variety of effects, and you and he meet sometimes to discuss material and energy applications in respect to extreme condition tolerance. He also owns Red Heat Industries, a major industrial power in the system.

i-666
You arrive to the delicious anarchy of true desperation. Down below are teeming swarms of people who see fame and fortune within their grasp, but can feel it slipping away. The only problem is how to best squeeze the worst of the worst into disadvantageous contracts in order to feast upon their despair. Oh! And also figure out which ones are worth anything to begin with. Torturing peasants is easy and fun but not very profitable.

You have a prefab [UNTRANSLATABLE] for doing [UNTRANSLATABLE] things. It can be set up anywhere in the base and then moved if necessary, and is also larger on the inside than the outside. You're not sure it'll help with the current situation, but you're not sure it won't help with the current situation.

You also have a Crown of Breaking. When applied to a willing victim, this petrified bone crown allows a lowly commoner to possess the powers of a trained Idol. Alas, its power comes at a terrible price- the victim's life force is slowly drained, and with it their hope of a better future.

Finally, you know a guy. Gargulbuk, a Nemesis- more specifically a Maggot, their heavy weapons and blasting psionics caste. They look kind of exactly how you'd expect fat humanoid maggots to look. He's the chief engineer at Terodyne Cleaning Solutions, a major corporation that specializes in energy weaponry. Hence the cleaning bit. You and he hang out and discuss building battlestations large enough to scour all life from entire worlds sometimes.

Ursarkar E. Creed
Situation's much as you left it: Terrible. You can't claim to be much of an idol expert yourself, but even you knew that when prospective idols get within reach of their dream, they get savage. You're gonna need to find a way to break up and disperse the crowd.

You have a prefab Recording Studio for producing... well, you'd describe it as inspiring propaganda, but you suppose you're technically in the entertainment business now. It can be set up anywhere in the base and moved if necessary, though you're not sure it's going to help with the current situation.

You also have your favorite tank. It's the size of a small building when fully deployed, but folds down into a briefcase for transport. You have no earthly idea how it does this, and even less how it hides its own weight, but it's by far the best 200 credits you have ever wagered on anything. If that weird mystery box merchant ever stops by this planet you'll be sure to consider playing again.

...hm. The ceilings here are pretty tall, it might fit...

Finally, you know of an old acquaintance. Varius Attran served with you in the war, and now sits on the funding council that's supposed to be directing your efforts. He's also a bit of an ass, but he means well. As evidenced by using his excessively good looks to marry a preposterously wealthy Vine- the "Admiral" you saw earlier- and leverage it into resources for the colonies. She's no less of a clown than he is, but Serenity isn't even supposed to have a navy, and now it's got a battlecruiser floating around up there somewhere. Talk about friends in high places.

Dariel Aegis
You'd been hoping to get to work immediately, but if this place has any facilities, they're currently hosting a full-scale riot. You'll need to resolve this issue before you can start resolving the issues you came here for.

You have a prefab Temporal Tempering Lab. It utilizes slight disturbances in time to produce materials or conditions not normally possible in predictable linear time. It's also a rather sophisticated piece of infrastructure, so you doubt it's going to see much use for a while.

You also have a Personal Shielding Unit. While you don't see much use for it yourself, it's always nice to have one more thing to keep people safe with.

Finally, you're in contact with a peer. Sqrisheld Scaralkin Antominin is a Vine robotics expert and leader of the Whiteshell Research Group, an organization devoted to medical affairs and specifically cybernetics and body replacement. You and he have some obvious interests in common, and so you've kept in touch.

Quipzee Wit
There's a kaleidoscope of colors beneath you- mostly red (rage) and green (terror). Put simply, the people down there are desperate, and you've seen firsthand just what desperate people are capable of. If you can't figure out a way to bring some ecstasy (yellow) to this situation it's likely the whole place will be torn apart.

You have a prefab Emotion Foundry, which lets you smelt emotions into raw materials. It can be set up anywhere in the base and moved if necessary, though you're not sure it'll be of much use right now.

You also have a pet slime. It's really just a squishy ball with a face, but people love snuggling it and it acts as a prism to magnify their emotions. Hopefully happiness, but anything's tasty.

Finally, you have an associate. 'Recon' Rick Tammer is a scout turned hotshot fighter pilot. More importantly, he runs the Happystone Charms Company, which produces and sells good luck charms and treasured mementos used by authentic battlefield personnel. The two of you have chatted about emotional impact and helping people a few times.

Timantha Starfire
You've arrived, and your adoring fans are waiting. Unfortunately, there's far too many of them to beat into friendship. You'll need a Plan B. Hopefully soon, because it sounds like they're trying to pry open the elevator doors and you doubt you could hold that chokepoint for very long.

You have a prefab Hospital. It's handy for when you make new friends and then they want their legs back.

You also have the Coldfire Torc. A crazy old hag sold it to you in a shop that doesn't exist and according to records never existed, claiming it was meant for you while cackling. You didn't take her very seriously because destined artifacts usually don't cost a lot of money, but it does seem to channel alien yet vaguely familiar energies in battle.

Finally, you have a friend. Slimmery Jim, as he's known, is a weasely Smoke who makes a living smuggling adorable things for terrible purposes. You befriended your good friend by friending him through a wall and then threatening to friend him further if he didn't give you what you wanted. You have been very good friends ever since.

Spoiler: Managers (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Grim Idols [Turn 0: Exactly As Expected]
« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2020, 11:44:51 pm »

The "bird" circles the room, watching the chaos below. Heart full of elation. Such mayhem, chaos, desperation. This is a fine primordial soup, to be formed into a cocktail of delicious destruction and profit.
But well, how to sort them? i's analytical mind runs through a few possible solutions before settling on the simplest. Get someone else to do the work.

"See any juicy ones, thought-eater? Something that burns above the noise?"

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2020, 01:48:35 am »

"..."
*sigh*
"Idiots. You don't just throw open the doors and toss someone else in to take care of it.
Ok, step one is going to be figuring out how to assess everyone. Or, no. How to get them to do the assessment in an orderly fashion.
Does this location actually have the Audition Center, or is that yet another thing that's been skipped out on?
"

(EDIT: By the way, Egan, Devastator, we've got a channel for this game on my forum games Discord. Here's a link.)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 02:03:08 am by Glass »

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2020, 07:43:04 am »

A bit late to the party, I guess I'll go on the waitlist:

Name: Old Joe
Creed: Passionate/Decadent
Specialties: Luck and Slapstick
Appearance: A short wrinkly old man with white hair and beard, looks very much like a gnome. Carries a walking stick though he doesn't really need it and mostly uses it to poke others to get them to do something or smack them on the head when they're being an idiot.
Personality: A bumbling and slightly senile old man. He doesn't always seem to understand what's going on, yet things tend to somehow turn out all right for him, despite his actions not always making sense. He is headstrong and tends to complain a lot, especially about young people these days. Likes to play pranks at the expense of others and laugh at their failures. He likes good food, warm blankets and watching reruns of his favorite show.
Backstory: A veteran of the old war that fought for friendship and justice. After the war ended he spent much of his time training the next generation of heroic warriors. He finally retired and was content to spend the rest of his days in a cushy retirement home, getting pampered by pretty nurses. When the nightmares attacked, he slipped away from the evacuation shuttle and somehow stumbled into the Idol manager shuttle while looking for the tea kettle, taking the place of one of the actually competent managers. Someone in the higher ups decided they had nothing to lose so they might as well keep him there and see how it works out.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2020, 08:06:23 am »

‘They are mad and terrified, I have a foundry that can turn emotions into materials, maybe we can use the rage and terror to make a flute using some of the rage and terror here. If one of us were to maybe play the flute, there could be curiosity”

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2020, 03:04:33 pm »

Use my experience managing chaos and rallying forces to look among the group for those who seem effective.  I'm looking for three traits in particular:

1. Someone who works effectively to stay alive and manage the situation.  Since this is going to be a group, try to look for someone who does this with friends.

2. Someone who has some degree of agressiveness.  We're not playing around, and since I'm looking for a team leader, I need someone who is willing to fight back.

3. Someone with charisma.  I'm sure all these idols are good that way, but I want someone who I think can make the Justice Beams.

If I spot someone, run down to the lower level, start deploying my tank, and drag her and her friends into it as it deploys for safekeeping.

If I don't spot someone in two minutes, run down to the lower level and start deploying the tank for use as a portable wall to seperate some people from some other people, hopefully calming it down some.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2020, 03:07:33 pm »

i-666 comes in to land on the lantern, bobbing back and forth to maintain balance without deploying the claws.
(It seemed unwise to antagonize i's allies so soon, despite the promise of pain and rending such an action might cause. Maybe? The bird isn't sure if lanterns even feel pain.)
The raven's aura is a pleasant satisfied yellow, though likely for the wrong reasons.

"Curiosity, confusion... might distract them a while, but they know what they're here for, and won't leave until we give them what they want, or make them. And we can only accept a few. Luckily, our new hires could likely help disperse the others."
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12