Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Intended or not? Made a barony in first year with only 9 dwarves  (Read 1097 times)

Minwaabi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Intended or not? Made a barony in first year with only 9 dwarves
« on: December 25, 2019, 10:16:25 am »

So the outpost liaison just showed up in my first autumn and announced that merit deserves a reward and he wants us to suggest someone for elevation.  We have a population of 9 and haven't really made much of any value (just starting to get everything all started up and digging out our home).  Are we supposed to become a barony this early?  Why did this happen?  We basically haven't done anything yet.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Intended or not? Made a barony in first year with only 9 dwarves
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2019, 12:26:21 pm »

It's unusually early, but the changed logic makes it possible. The newer logic makes you eligible as a barony based on your holdings, and those can spontaneously tie themselves to you, without any input (or saying) from you. Thus, you've probably received several messages of the type "The human hamlet of X now looks to you for their economic prosperity" (I don't remember what these messages look like exactly, so it isn't a true quote).

UselessMcMiner

• Bay Watcher
  • praise jeebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2019, 01:13:19 pm »

What triggers those anyways? Ive only had caves link themselves to me.
The scouts have been fighting a giant capuchin for the past month now. They still haven't killed it.

Obsidian 1053

The Sentries are still fighting the capuchin. For two monthes they have done nothing but punch this monkey.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2019, 06:07:22 pm »

What triggers those anyways? Ive only had caves link themselves to me.
Wealth usually. Caves aren't very wealthy so link to you pretty quickly I guess. It doesn't really mean much right now (except in that it effects the Barony decision and gives you places to banish your dwarves to).

And "economically linked" in worldgen's logic covers things like "target for banditry", "useful place to sell bootleg whiskey", etc. So the placeholder message is a bit misleading sometimes.

Minwaabi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2019, 07:36:48 pm »

Oh.  That makes sense.  I do think I saw a message about "<random cave> now looks to you for their economic prosperity" in like week 2 or something.  I just assumed that that meant that I should keep a look out for kobold thieves but I guess we're a barony now too?  Weird.