Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hunters not returning kill  (Read 2613 times)

Economic Snake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Hunters not returning kill
« on: December 14, 2019, 12:33:29 pm »

My hunters just aren't returning their kills, I tried dumping the corpse but nobody dumped it. My butchers also can't butcher it because it is too far away. I need that leather! Any suggestions?
Cave crocodiles and chickens don't mix.

DoubleG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hunters not returning kill
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2019, 01:01:07 pm »

Are you in an evil reanimation biome? If the kill comes to life the hunters can just drop it and run. They may have been interrupted by other random wildlife as well.

Best bet is to check if the corpses are forbidden. UnForbid them, then look in your orders tab. There's a bit there under forbid that says whether dead things are forbidden or not. Might help. Let me know hwat you find.

Economic Snake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2019, 01:10:49 pm »

Hmm... The corpse was not forbidden and I don't think I'm in an evil biome. I checked the orders and it said "Dwarves Gather Animals" is that the thing that you were talking about? It also said "Dwarves Gather Corpses". Any other ideas?

DoubleG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2019, 01:20:24 pm »

Hmmm, odd. Try sticking a refuse stockpile near your butcher, and have it give to the butcher. If the hunter fails to return kill someone else might bring it there and make it available for butchering.

Economic Snake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2019, 01:45:31 pm »

That didn't work either... Would my hunter also being a militia commander have anything to do with it?

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2019, 02:09:34 pm »

I tried dumping the corpse but nobody dumped it.

By a default standing order, outdoor refuse hauling is disabled. You can use o-r-o to enable it.

Additionally, dump-flagged items are not available for stockpiling/processing, so you need to either get it dumped or remove the dump flag before your dwarves can do anything else with the corpse.

Would my hunter also being a militia commander have anything to do with it?

Hunting, along with mining and woodcutting, has a "work uniform" that conflicts with military uniforms. It is inadvisable to have any of those labors enabled on any military dwarves.

DoubleG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2019, 02:15:09 pm »

Hunters do have a built in uniform that precludes them being a miner or woodcutter, being in the military might affect it....

Economic Snake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2019, 04:17:18 pm »

Okay! I got a new hunter and turned on outdoor vermin hauling and it worked! Thanks everyone.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2019, 10:42:11 am »

I suspect the critters killed weren't properly registered as hunter prey - as i understand it, only if an animal dies while being the target of a hunter's active "hunt" job, its corpse will be claimed as prey; there are various ways this can fail.

If you have loose corpses and just want them butchered *now*, a quick and dirty hack is to paint a single-tile refuse pile under it. Butcheries task any unforbidden stockpiled corpse, no matter how far away. Has the benefits that you don't need to enable outside refuse collection; and with this setup you're dealing with a single (butchery) job, instead of having to wait for a hauler to drag the corpse to the pile, then for the butcher to take it from the pile to the workshop.

Delete the pile after the corpse has been butchered, or set it up as "only take from links" when designating, so your beards don't travel out there to store a loose bone or the like once the corpse is gone.