Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Merchants stuck  (Read 1773 times)

Orbotosh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Merchants stuck
« on: November 06, 2019, 04:33:33 pm »

The merchants that came with my outpost liason got jumped by a huntsman (robotic nasty from The Long Night) and seem to have given up on life afterwards. They're just sitting there while the bodyguards loiter around. One of them was in a boulder, but smoothing it out didn't solve that either. Is there any hope for me to make them wake up inside?
It's a buyers market. The author writes what sells, catering to the lowly demands of uneducated masses. In this case, apparently, charioteers.
Can we get migrant sponge cooks, a squid for bookkeeper, a starfish peasants, squirrel mechanics, vermin invaders, and cook roast crab meats? 

nezclaw

• Bay Watcher
  • i should really migrate my saves...
    • View Profile
Re: Merchants stuck
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2019, 09:08:35 pm »

Dunno. I've been having that difficulty a lot myself in my forts.
Dawnthunder: It menaces with spikes of tetanus
After the fire had burned down all of the wooden next boxes on the surface, Mottled Petrel was reluctant to replace them with more wooden nest boxes. Instead, he placed the remaining store of wooden nest boxes in the dormitory for any aspiring koopa mothers.

The nest boxes were immediately overrun by helmet snakes.

Lozzymandias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2019, 07:13:22 am »

It's a weird one. I've never found a perfect fix for it, usually I just dump all the items in the way, make sure the paths out of the depot are item free, tree free and if on stone, smooth. I have no confirmation any of it worked but eventually they leave. Do some experimenting and find out!

At the v worst you can destroy the depot. That should help
"Come on, you sons of elves, do you want to live forever?"

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2019, 06:39:50 pm »

I would mess with any of their units that is not moving (both merchant and pack animal)... If building a floor under them does not work, try channelling out the ground from underneath them (again, both merchant and animal). I have seen an instance where an elf was leading a pack animal, and the ice under the elf melted, leaving the elf standing above water, the animal on ground, and neither moved until a floor was built under the elf, but I probably could have channeled under the animal to dump both in the water instead. Building a floor allowed them to continue moving to the depot.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

HungThir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2019, 05:05:39 am »

i usually find deconstructing the depot motivates the stuck merchants to get on with life, just be careful to not forget to rebuild it before the next caravan arrives

Dangield

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2019, 05:31:36 am »

Similar thing happened to me just yesterday. The merchants stopped doing anything after being attacked by WereBeast. I even got the message, that they are leaving, but they still wouldn't even budge. Deconstructing the depot brought them back to life. It also caused them to leave most of their stuff, so I basically got mountains of items for free.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2019, 08:29:02 am »

Similar thing happened to me just yesterday. The merchants stopped doing anything after being attacked by WereBeast. I even got the message, that they are leaving, but they still wouldn't even budge. Deconstructing the depot brought them back to life. It also caused them to leave most of their stuff, so I basically got mountains of items for free.
Well, once they get attacked and leave, the ones panicking drop their stuff, while others leave with it, so you get a bit of extra garbage. It can also be noted that the "free" junk you got actually counts as a trading loss by the caravan, resulting in smaller caravans until they recover that loss. Finally, caravans don't care whether the losses are due to wildlife attacks or you stealing their stuff: the loss is the same.