Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Evil rain and [WEATHER:NO]  (Read 5870 times)

ancistrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Evil rain and [WEATHER:NO]
« on: October 27, 2019, 05:57:13 am »

Hi, I set [WEATHER:NO] in d_init, but i still get evil rains in my game.
This bothers me a lot because of the framerate, and dfhack doesnt seem up to date, so i cant just clean the contaminants by command.

What can I do?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: Evil rain and [WEATHER:NO]
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2019, 07:31:09 am »

There's dfhack release available for 44.12, what game version are you using?

If you had dfhack, you could also use biomemanipulator to change your biome's regional interaction rather than repeatedly cleaning.

ancistrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2019, 07:35:55 am »

Oh.

Isn't this the newest one?

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553

Nevermind found it... I feel dumb.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2019, 07:37:47 am by ancistrus »

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2019, 11:57:51 am »

So glad PatrickLundell wrote that.

FWIW, the source of the confusion is that the game doesn't consider evil rain to be "weather." Weather is just normal rain and snow. Evil rain and evil clouds are "interactions", more like magic curses associated with a region. Of course it's nonsense to say "rain" isn't "weather", but that distinction is why the weather toggle doesn't affect the evil regional interaction.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2019, 04:33:44 pm »

Doesn't the adv world gen setting "Number of Regional Interaction Types" control evil weather? Just set it to 0.
https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Advanced_world_generation#Number_of_Regional_Interaction_Types

Also seems to be individual options for "evil_rain" and "evil_clouds" in case you want one and not the other.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2019, 04:38:49 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2019, 07:47:50 pm »

Sadly if you do that you can still get blood rain, which will ruin your landscape and horrify dwarves. (I prefer clouds for landscaping reasons alone.)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2019, 10:23:16 pm »

Sadly if you do that you can still get blood rain, which will ruin your landscape and horrify dwarves. (I prefer clouds for landscaping reasons alone.)
Is that a bug? Or is blood rain not "evil"?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2019, 10:26:58 pm »

WEATHER:NO doesn't disable it, so I consider it a bug.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2019, 12:45:45 am »

WEATHER:NO doesn't disable it, so I consider it a bug.
No, I was talking about setting "Number of Evil Rain Types" to 0 in adv worldgen.
Sorry, weren't you replying to my post?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2019, 10:29:34 am »

So was I. It's evil because weather:no doesn't disable it, and therefore it is a bug because it is an evil rain in a world that should have zero evil rains.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2019, 12:32:51 pm »

Evil Weather isn't actually weather, but an interaction, from a DF technical perspective. From a player perspective it acts much like weather, of course. However, a jellyfish isn't a fish, regardless of its name...

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2019, 04:43:31 pm »

So was I. It's evil because weather:no doesn't disable it, and therefore it is a bug because it is an evil rain in a world that should have zero evil rains.
OK. Can we try this again please? Ignore weather:off for a moment. The point of this thread is that that doesn't work.

Advanced Worldgen has options to turn off evil rain and clouds. Do they turn off evil rain and clouds or do they not?

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2019, 05:32:19 pm »

Advanced Worldgen has options to turn off evil rain and clouds. Do they turn off evil rain and clouds or do they not?

Advanced Worldgen has options to constrain evil rain and evil cloud *interactions* (read: syndromes), and they do just that. Blood rain is not an "interaction", and is thus not governed by those options.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2019, 05:50:55 pm »

Advanced Worldgen has options to constrain evil rain and evil cloud *interactions* (read: syndromes), and they do just that. Blood rain is not an "interaction", and is thus not governed by those options.
Thank you, Loci. I understand now. So, not a bug, just my misunderstanding of the adv worldgen options. Great.