Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 20

Author Topic: Dominions 5 Round 04 - Game Finished! Mutual Flagellatio Victorious!  (Read 41248 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 5 Round 04 - Slowly Expanding
« Reply #90 on: October 18, 2019, 04:14:23 pm »

I was directing that post more in Happery's direction, due to the mention of sending a spellcaster.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 18, 2019, 04:56:37 pm »

Ah, sorry. I thought you were referring to me. My mistake. Though if you gave a giant spellcaster a magic weapon they might have been able to brute force their way through this regardless. Maybe. Depends on how up to stabbing the Illithid Lord was that day in this hypothetical alternative timeline.

But enough theorizing about hypothetical timelines, we could do this all day and get nothing productive done.

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 18, 2019, 06:25:44 pm »

The main problem I'd see with sending a Storm Captain and relying on their MR is that Feeblemind is -5 MR so you'd've still been looking at 10 MR vs. mindblasts, which isn't exactly attractive odds.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 18, 2019, 06:37:49 pm »

Ah right yeah, slave collar restricts casting through feebleminded. That didn't quite parse initially.

Yeah, this makes an Illithid among the best things to have sent to this deathmatch.

Glory to United Forenia!

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 19, 2019, 01:06:46 am »

Sending a spellcaster would have been a bad idea anyway; this particular arena forces Slave Collars on all contestants so that they cannot cast.
Well, yes. That's exactly why I didn't want to send a spellcaster. Normally I'd at least have considered it.

Which makes the Illithid Lord extra cheap because apparently Mind Blasts are totally okay :P
It's because the mind blast is coded in as a natural weapon, with the key word there being weapon. If someone modded in 'burning glare' attack it wouldn't be nulled either, any more then a magic sword becomes un-magical/worky with a collar on or stuff like a Dragon's elemental breath or (probably) a Gorgon's stoning ability.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 01:14:47 am by Happerry »
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 19, 2019, 06:44:36 am »

Gee, I wonder if my second non-mercenary, non-assassin (bless those guys for keeping the economy afloat) expansion party will also get unceremoniously murdered by 20 indie cavalry.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 19, 2019, 08:27:06 am »

Ooof. Suppose that your good luck was spent getting the Armored Fist of God mercenary party to spawn turn 1 huh?...

(No seriously, I was trying to get them, forgot that you were Marignon and as such your gold is worth... I wanna say twice as much to them. They're pretty good mercs even at full price.)

Glory to United Forenia!

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 19, 2019, 08:44:19 am »

(No seriously, I was trying to get them, forgot that you were Marignon and as such your gold is worth... I wanna say twice as much to them. They're pretty good mercs even at full price.)
What?  :o How do I find out things like this?
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 19, 2019, 09:09:13 am »

Actually, there was no indication that I was getting any discount. I remember being mildly disappointed by that.
Checking the turn, I bid 255 gp.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 19, 2019, 09:29:33 am »

Actually, there was no indication that I was getting any discount. I remember being mildly disappointed by that.
Checking the turn, I bid 255 gp.

Really?... Maybe it was one of the other Inquisitor+Pikeneer Mercenary Bands with 'God' in the name. There's like, 3 of them. This was the small one.

Glory to United Forenia!

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 19, 2019, 09:43:14 am »

Yeah, it was basically the same as the starting Marignon army, only with pikes replacing crossbows.
I like how Giuseppe got all his men killed, and then retired with all the gold for himself. A true capitalist.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 19, 2019, 05:16:44 pm »

What?  :o How do I find out things like this?
I don't think there's a way to see the discount unless it applies to your nation, where there's a similar message at hiring as when you're rehiring mercs for a consecutive contract (something along the lines of 'demands X from other nations').
I tried looking in the dominspector, but just can see the info there.
Anyway, these tend to be the mercs that are thematically similar to your nation. So markatas for Bandar Log, inquisitors for Marignon, etc. I'm not sure if the size of the discount varies or is always -25% (from brief testing).

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 20, 2019, 06:01:24 pm »

Umm.. Uhh... Can I request an extension for Happerry? There's only 5 hours and 30 minutes left before the turn hits...

Glory to United Forenia!

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 20, 2019, 06:12:31 pm »

Done. I've made a 12 hour extension, though hopefully it's not needed.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 20, 2019, 06:36:26 pm »

Just did my turn, so no it wasn't. Thanks for the care though. ^_^
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 20