Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44

Author Topic: Kaiju-com 2  (Read 58120 times)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kaiju-com 2
« Reply #630 on: June 05, 2021, 05:26:23 am »

Sad to see this one end, also strangely it was one of the few games I did a bunch of RP in even though RP wasn't required.

How many more monsters did you have planed out for this game?

Also I hope my characters weirdness didn't contribute to the turns taking a lot of time.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: June 05, 2021, 05:34:13 am »

How many more monsters did you have planed out for this game?
None.  They were done through generators, with a little fluff added.

Also I hope my characters weirdness didn't contribute to the turns taking a lot of time.

It was the 1800 combat dice-rolls along with the massive amount of bookeeping.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: June 05, 2021, 06:37:58 am »

Sad to see it end, but understandable if it required that much effort. Maybe automating things would help in the future?

Out of curiosity, wanna spill the beans on how the rest of the game would have gone? What was the endgame, so to speak?

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: June 05, 2021, 01:15:58 pm »

Yeah, it would have helped.  Don't really know much about that.

As for the ending, well, either the players would have been defeated by the doomsday clock, whereupon cumulative city destruction would have lead to their incomes being reduced to nothing, or they would have assaulted the enemy base.

The enemy base was an alternate earth, with essentially a base design not too much different than the player's own.. they had their own structures and such.  At the time of the game's finish, they had two "gantries", which are the places they actually built kaiju, and a bunch of various support structures representing their method of technologial advancement, their income, the types of weapons available to them, the maximum strengths of the kaiju they can build, etcetera.  For them it was basically sports.

You could have probed them without issue, but if you did a full-scale assault and failed, it would have went like X-Com.  Fail the final mission and you lose.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2021, 01:20:08 pm by Devastator »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: June 05, 2021, 01:57:24 pm »

For them it was basically sports.
Oh no.

How would my (not very serious) plans to rally the environmentalists or prudes or whatever to shut it down or provide us with aid have gone?

Also, were they human or what?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: June 05, 2021, 02:03:32 pm »

Mighta helped.  Not hugely, but could have given you money, or an extra scientist, or some other kind of relevant assistance.

No, they were aliens.  What happened was they found the planet, and it wasn't very habitable for them.  But they also found you guys, in the next universe over, so..

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: June 05, 2021, 02:47:57 pm »

What would my nukes have done to Kaiju if I ever actually got to deploy them?
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: June 05, 2021, 03:19:34 pm »

They were powerful weapons, equivalent to a shot with two more grades of power and one more grade of armour piercing than the high-powered cannon on the new fancy tank.  It was slightly superior to most kaiju-mounted weapons.  The lack of kaiju bits or exotic materials and their small size made them take a long time to develop.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: June 05, 2021, 04:09:34 pm »

Was their base underwater? How would deploying a supersub have gone?

Did the aliens have any particular animosity towards us, or was it all good fun knocking over anthills?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: June 05, 2021, 04:11:45 pm »

Fair enough. This was certainly some good fun while it lasted!

Would love to know whether it would have been mechanically possible to integrate one more chunk of kaiju flesh and fat each into the frost tank, and what the end product would have looked like if so.
One wheel short of a wagon

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: June 05, 2021, 07:49:37 pm »

Their base was above-ground, the portals are just underwater.  Supersub would have had some issues, but would have been fine for deployment.

It was somewhat above anthills, but not that much.  More like a beehive.

As a mad scientist you can always shove in another kaiju bit, or spend another turn tweaking a design.  Rolling you another die for another month's tweaking brought up an overshoot, so it would have been quite a bit more powerful.. but escaping would have been all but guaranteed, with that overshot.

It was developed enough, it had an escape rating equal to your bases security this month, which makes escapes possible but not guaranteed.  More would have made it much worse.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: June 06, 2021, 05:04:13 am »

Yeah, it would have helped.  Don't really know much about that.

I'm guessing a basic python script could be of help, though how complex it would be would depend in large part on what exactly it would have to do and how the turns are done. If it's just a large amount of rolls and to present the results in an easy to read format that doesn't sound too hard, but if you want it to simulate the entire battle and keep track of HP and such it'd be more involved.

That said, python is honestly pretty easy to pick up, if you ever wanna give it a go (and learning the basics of coding is always worthwhile imo).

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: June 06, 2021, 05:29:59 am »

I suppose I should talk about the battle sequence, then..

When a friendly unit took a shot, it would roll a die depending on the 'power' statistic.  This would give a number called 'damage'.  The kaiju would then try to soak the damage, and any damage left over would go through.  This was pretty simple.. one die roll versus one die roll for the kaiju.

Then armour penetration would kick in, which had a different series of die rolls, generally per point of damage blocked, which would allow a certain amount to get through depending on the weapon's AP performance.

That was basically one die roll per AP grade.

Then, if damage was done, I'd have to check if it knocked out anything, which was a third die roll, compared to the 'kaiju equipment table', which was produced as part of the kaiju generation process.

I also generally kept track of range and, very loosely, battle positioning.  Over time everything would try to spread out, but for the first few rounds I had to keep track of how dense everything was for possible multiple hits from the attacking kaiju.  After a few turns of battle, things had time to spread out enough that range became the only important factor for that.

When kaiju attacked, they mostly followed a set of rules.. I had a couple rough rulesets for the attackers to choose from, and varied it depending on what the kaiju ended up being armed with.  These changed a bit over time, and they were fun because they lead to a lot of kaiju-based screwups as they did really dumb things.

Their shots worked differently because player units had much smaller HP numbers and different kinds of protection.  Some things I never quite had firmly nailed down, and were making small adjustments all the time.

What would have been nice was something to handle the 'friendly shots phase', all in one go, but it would have had to be robust enough to let me move units into and out of combat as they arrive on the battle, run out of ammo, get knocked out, etcetera.  Kaiju didn't have as many weapons and I could run that part of the turn manually.

Mostly all the coders I knew were currently playing the game, so I didn't want to tell them how everything worked in sufficient detail for them to help me automate it.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: June 06, 2021, 12:09:20 pm »

Ok, so as an example of how automation of this kind of repetitive rolling and bookkeeping could work, I made a quick mockup: https://onlinegdb.com/HnfbahU9N

Just hit run, and in the bottom you'd get an example of a report for a K-com attack phase (not a whole battle). You can try clicking 'fork this' and then making some simple changes to see how you could use this for an actual game.
(Note, I don't really know the exact mechanics of the game so I just made up a system.)

Now obviously this is just a simple example, because of course we're not gonna be writing a complex battle simulator here. But as long as it can do the brunt of the boring stuff and is easy to modify, it could still save quite some work. And this thing was like 20 minutes or so of coding, and I am wildly out of practice.  :v
« Last Edit: June 06, 2021, 12:13:05 pm by Radio Controlled »

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: June 06, 2021, 01:31:03 pm »

That does seem pretty good, although an actual thing would need a couple more steps, a table of die sizes (since it wasn't 1dX for power), and some GUI where I can just add or remove things from the firing line.  (and the crit mechanics.)  But yeah, wish I'd known you were interested, I'd have run it by you.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44